Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gold, Silver, Iron, Copper, should weigh more

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Gold, Silver, Iron, Copper, should weigh more

A lot more.

I have a wind generator that weighs 30 lbs. No one is transporting this wind generator anywhere. It's going to sit in my yard forever doing nothing until "energy" is used to power homes someday.

Gold, Silver, Iron, Copper, they all get transported from region to region, they should weigh more, a lot more.

2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

So should just about everything that exists in the game, but if everything had realistic weights you wouldn't be able to do much of anything.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

A pound of gold is a lot.

x_Selene_x likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

It's not about realism, it's about trade and economic impact.

5. languard

languard Avatar

I'm kinda with and kinda against you on this. Some of the weights in-game feel very game-ified, but then again it almost has to be. I mean it's beyond silly that I can fit 20+ trees in my backpack. I've done carpentry projects, I'm very much aware of how heavy just a few boards can get, but my character can walk around with trees in his pocket? Bwa? But on the flip side if they did make it realistic, then it basically wouldn't be fun for a game. Same for mining, you just can't carry around raw ore and ingots like we can, but for the sake of the game we have to.

Maybe the concept of trade bars? Regular iron ingots can't be traded, they have to be smelted into trade bars first, which has a long timer on it, maybe 30-60 seconds. Trade bars would be **very** heavy, and would need to be 'broken' into regular bars before use, perhaps without the use of a forge. Utterly gamey, but a possible system to make the transportation of resources worth something.

4EverLost likes this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Not at least until we get a packed animal. We can't drag and drop items on the ground like in UO.

7. agra

agra Avatar

Nope. Don't want to see this in the game. Punitive weight limits are just not fun.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

I'm currently carrying 651 lbs of water back to my home. Need I give other examples. :)

@development team
    Feature Request: I call it, making another trip. Please implement a fix where players can take an allowable weight to a destination, then return to pick up the remaining amount by making a second or every a third trip.

| Grave | likes this.
  9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Both Brilliant and Practical. +over9000

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  10. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

It makes me giggle when people refer to realism as punitive.

11. Drocis the Devious

This isn't really about realism for me, it's about gameplay balance. I think the fact that gold is so light (for example) really messes with the economy.

12. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I understand, agree and would elaborate that the current ability to run a control point end to end as a ghost and ress on the opposite side defeats their purpose but it seems that its the balance of control and convienence Portalarium has landed on.

(Being on the opposite side of Vauban, I'm thankful in a bitter sweet hypocritic kind of way).

I always thought our weight limits were ridiculously high and would personally prefer a max limit of 100lbs over what portalarium would consider a fully equipped character weight. We can literally still walk with 4000lbs on us which is ludicrous.

Any more than 100lbs should result in the inability to move after you deplete your focus and require Drocis' afformentioned "second trip" mechanic, unless of course you're running a potion or have a STR buff active because as Chris says... screw you, it's magic.

Yes, it's restrictive, but that's the intention.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  13. Drocis the Devious

Right, which is why when we had buckets of water introduced to the game, we restricted those by putting a weight of 2 lbs per bucket. Why? Because we wanted agriculture to be performed at a certain rate of speed. Gold, Ore, Copper, Silver, they're only 1 lbs per ingot. I think that should be raised to 2 but I'd love to see 3 per ingot. The ore itself should probably be even higher.

@Bzus
    @DarkStarr

| Grave | likes this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, it's weird. Almost as if I want my entertainment to be entertaining. Or something. The last thing I want in a fantasy video game is realism.

Couldin, Manerd, Baalice and 2 others like this.
  15. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

At the risk of eyerolls ill say, (I know, I know) If SotA wasn't at least somewhat grounded in Earthling physics it wouldn't be fun for me at all. I don't want a medieval superhero game.

16. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

It makes me giggle when people ask for realism in a fantasy world.

Couldin, Manerd, Baalice and 2 others like this.
  17. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but when I go to a movie, I want the level of realism introduced in the beginning. What I mean is, if they introduce a movie as a place where superstrength exists, I'll be just fine when Hulk busts out of his Dockers and throws a few cars.... but when a guy jumps a car, snatching a bomb off the bottom of it with a crane hook in a movie that wanted us to assume the laws of Earthling physics applied, I'm walking out of the movie.

This is a medieval themed RPG with light steampunk elements. I don't recall anyone saying we suddenly developed super strength when we arrived here from earth, avatar host vessel or not.

I don't think it's an unreasonable perspective.

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think it's working just fine as it is.
    My vote, leave it be.... ;)

19. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Maybe you have a magical bag that reduces the weight and size of everything you put in it. This would explain why you can walk around carrying 20+ trees as someone mentioned previously.

Jivalax Azon and | Grave | like this.
  20. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Ok, so what is the goal? What is it that you want people to do?

If you make it so hard to carry stuff around that people won't take it to another region, there's a pretty good chance that they're also not going to want to even take it out of a mine, through an entrance zone, and into someplace within the region.

Consider how much is actually produced from raw materials. It takes over 500 copper ore to craft one set of constantan or bronze armor, not to mention the nickel, tin, and tungsten that has to be added. It's not as if what people can carry amounts to some huge stockpile of actual usable products. If you take drastic enough measures to stop determined players from transporting material, you also stomp the average guy that just wants to make some gear for himself. Nobody wants to run back and forth through 4 different zones over and over and over just to make one thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.