Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gold, Silver, Iron, Copper, should weigh more

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The goal is to have a challenging gathering environment that doesn't inflate the economy with +8 swords of doom while at the same time remaining fun for players. Ever try moving tons of water across the entire the map? That's not a lot of fun, but if you only have to take it from one side of town to the other side of town it's not so bad. That's how gold should be, want to move faster? Move less gold.

| Grave | likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The "goal" is to have a game that is enjoyed as much as possible, by as many as possible - within the constraints of a functional regional economy.
    Making it even harder than it already is (regarding weights) would be - at best - counter productive.
    I agree with your desire to have a functional economy, but I strongly disagree with your opinion that stuff doesn't weigh enough already or isn't challenging enough.

3. Drocis the Devious

We disagree on how to achieve that goal. What's new? :)

FrostII likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

By your own words:
    Perhaps you should get out and harvest more, so you could experience first hand what you would like to see implemented with regard to more difficulty doing basic everyday harvesting activities. ;)

Manerd likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Running back and forth to town isn't a challenge. It's just a tedious time sink.

If it's undesirable to have too much gold entering the world, then maybe getting rid of huge unguarded piles of infinite gold like Etceter would be a better starting point than miserable carry capacity restrictions.

Alex_Wildeagle likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

I've harvested plenty. But that's beside the point, you really shouldn't be making this discussion about my personal playing style.

7. Drocis the Devious

Why have any carrying restrictions using that logic?

8. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

I'm in the middle of a run to the mine. I currently have 359 silver ore on me, with room for another 55 pounds. I've used a total of 40 durability on my plain old pickaxe. At this rate I won't even be encumbered until I have a total of 634 ore on me, and a single pickaxe is plenty of durability to get me all of it and then some. I have to agree with the OP.

9. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I couldn't lift a pound of gold... but if it was a pound of feathers, now that I could lift easy...

Hey that makes me think about pound cake, if I eat 5 of them do I weigh 5lbs heavier?

Ore weights I think are being held off increasing until we get horses and mules (pack horses) into game... I could be wrong.

Same with travel speeds on overland map, we travel same speed everywhere until horses come along then they are supposed to change speed based on what terrain we are in and if we are on horseback or not.

10. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

They intend to have persistent items like old UO... we will be able to drop and drag around items... the 'ole' lift-shift-drop technique to get that pile of 1000 ore to town

Baalice likes this.
  11. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

You could also carry a lot of wood or hides if you wanted to. There are no zones that are just full of nothing but dead animals or trees though.

12. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Still cracks me up it will cost you $6,340 gold to buy coal to refine those 634 ore hahahahahahahahaha

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

The crafting system is in need of a massive amount of work right now. It's hardly the time to start nerfing one of the most frustrating experiences we suffer through into oblivion.

Thinking out loud ... If ingots weight 3 pounds each, then by reason, a mail chest piece (takes 18 ingots) should weigh around 50 pounds. A full set of mail armor around 150 pounds.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I was merely using your own words regarding "play style" to illustrate the point that - what you do with perhaps 10% of your time, is really NOT what most others do.
    You have stated on many occasions that you hate the "grind" as you put it. Going out and killing mobs in PvE is not to your liking.
    What I am pointing out here is that what you apparently (your words again) do precious little of, the bulk of us do for a daily living here in Shroud. And making being overweight more onerous than it currently is - would not have much of a negative effect on you, but it would certainly would on the rest of us.

15. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

depends on the movie. Of course this isn't a movie. It's a game that is suppose to be fun. They have already sucked enough fun from this game. They don't need to suck anymore out.

Ravicus, niteowl57, agra and 3 others like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Yet that's what I'm doing in this new persistent world. I don't like mining either but I've done that.

Stop trying to paint me as someone that doesn't play this game and know what I'm talking about. I probably have more hours in this game then 90% of the player base.

If you're going to defend your arguments, stop attacking "me" the player.

17. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Obviously you are not carrying the whole load of ore yourself.....it is assumed you have teams of hobbit slaves to hobbit-handle the ore for you while you sit on your 2 hump camel drinking lattes under a sun umbrella.

If you can handle all the other abstractions in the game...(like walking across the continent in a couple hours) then I think you can handle this very small thing.

agra and Jivalax Azon like this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Wind mills weigh too much.

Gravidy and FrostII like this.
  19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think one thing you need to bear in mind is irrregardless of the number of 'ores' and what you think they should weigh, remember that a full set of bronze platemail requires what, 500 ores (more?)
    If you look at the final product and even assume some loss from shaping/smelting process, the ore should probably weigh less than it does...;)

20. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

+1 for @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos and agree on all points. Its not "punitive" its a mechanic of the economic system :). Well, it should be, anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.