Why do we need a newbie-mega-guild?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Atogrim von Draken, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Like a pig in a cage on antibiotics.

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Collection Point~
    This is one of the most troublesome elements within all of this. "It's the misconception that our Hospitallers are a guild".

Yet beyond this, let me say that "any guild is more than welcomed" to directly influence and aide in the Hospitaller mission. If your guild (for instance) wishes to interact by way of invitation for hunt, or event, or quests with the newbie guild, then this is where to come to find and entice new members for your guild from. "It's a collection point in that way".
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Acred, rild, Elgarion and 5 others like this.
  3. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Those who falsely assume the newbie guild is about making the game easier, you are wrong. The newbie guild is about establishing bonds with the community and forming friendships.

People are NOT STILL playing Ultima Online or Everquest nearly twenty years after release due to the amazing and challenging quests, graphics, cutting edge mechanics, thrilling musical score, intriguing and unique game play. People are STILL playing these games due to the relationships formed with other players still playing these grossly outdated games.

Ok perhaps a dozen people don't fit my analysis.

Correction everyone except roughly one dozen are still playing these grossly outdated MMOs due to the social bonds.

The newbie guild is a crucial step to maintaining newcomers to our fine game.

Perhaps we call this upcoming feature not a guild but an OUTLANDERS CHANNEL? Problem solved, NEXT! Ultimately from a technical point a Guild is nothing more than a chat channel and a title.

Ravicus Domdred, Acred, rild and 5 others like this.
  4. lollie

lollie Avatar

You came to the same conclusion some of us already suggested. There's no need for a newbie guild, which opens up multi-guilding (a terrible thing for the game), we just need a moderated newb-friendly chat channel.

Zader, Mykll, Time Lord and 6 others like this.
  5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

That would be my recommendation as well. I don't want the guild title, just global chat to ask for help and find a group to adventure with. Keep it simple.

6. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Well, is about making easier the process of establishing bonds and forming friendships in the game. Why not letting that happen in the standard way? you find people in town, party with them, have fun, make friends. Newcomers would stay when (if) the game is robust and coherent instead of a bunch of half baked mechanics being supported at the same time. Why we need to rush that now?

You can call it whatever you want, it's just a highway to have another mean of global communication that works against what should be the main way of communication (local chat with our bubbles over our heads). Why again? I keep reading reasons for this and nothing that doesn't have the word "easier" seems objective. Well, besides "i want a global way of communication". But even when that's one of the main reasons... that's taboo because that's not accepted.
    My point is, we may need it now, but we won't when (if) the game is properly finished and polished. Just stop this and focus in making the game mechanics robust and coherent.

7. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I belive it was said earlier, resrtick Outlanders to a singlr chat channel and have them and Hospiitliers the only oners who can access it. And I want to copy a recent post,Hospitilers are NOT a Guild!

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Awsome.
    Direct me to the posts please.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

What I find disturbing is that the true goal was for multi guilding. A topic that has been highly heated in debate in the past. Now @Berek comes in and says that is the goal. Darkstarr said it was because the Hospitalers asked for it. So much misinformation and misleading and if I might say deception. Why did not darkstarr just say that in his post so we could comment on it. That is why I said the trojan horse is the outlanders guild and the payload is the multiplayer. Now I have been softened to the multiplayer idea a bit, but I still do not embrace it. Its the tactics used that makes me cringe. Again why was this not detailed by Star when he made the post, and deflected to
    "a suggestion from the hospitalars".

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I generally do not use discord unless its the only chance i can get prizes from the telethon. The official forums here are supposed to have all the information.

Bow Vale, Time Lord, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

They offer bans if you get out of line if you abuse the hospitallars. I do not know what that criteria is as I want to role play an evil person. In my mind I might think that I am doing good (RP wise)

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

But the setting of a title using an interface on your game screen sort of implies that "you" - the gamer made the decision to use it.. not "you" - the character.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well yes, and no. It can be seen both ways. Perhaps not every avatar that is an outlander is in the hive mind "peace be with you all love everyone mentality". Some are and want the anti virtues. So by joining in this world and being approached by something that is pure and good might not always be good for the game. There needs to be an anti hero, there needs to be a villainous aspect to the game. I am not saying that we need to be the fleecing RMT gold selling people that permeate these forums, but an actual villain role played in game. If everyone is nice and do good and we all see pink clouds and unicorns then there is no place for Yang in Yinn. I like the guild wars you purposed earlier in this thread and I agree with it. But if we are all hand holding Hare Krishna tambourine toting people than they are excluding that subset of the player base.

Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That is a good point. But also you mentioned RMT. RMT is an attack on the player, not the character. Bad characters are welcome, bad players are not.

Womby, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes, I agree 100%. We are talking about an Idea not anyone specific of course :)

Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Now the questions will be,
    - Why are towns so empty?
    - Why am I never running into anyone?
    - Why is nobody I do happen to run into not talking in local or and not responding to me?

The answer will be,
    - Everyone is in SPO/FPO and talking on global chat.

17. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I hope you don't mean me thinking that Hospitallers are a guild. I certainly do not think that way. I meant more that Hospitallers are there to help people, but they cannot promote any guild. So if Hospitallers are a concept of people helping new people, what is the difference between a non-hospitaller promoting their guild, a hospitaller-flagged person promoting their guild, or someone not even in their game promoting their guild due to the many "guild" buildings and vendors around the starting city? Seems like some have an issue with ONLY hospitally flagged people (at the time being flagged) promoting their guilds, when to me it is all the same, people promoting whether they flagged or not, or even in game or not.

Well they have been mentioned in a number of their Updates, and they were even brought into at least one telethon (I haven't made all telethons). If they were completely unsupported they would not have been mentioned in any Update, in any Community going ons, and certainly not brought in front of the camera to get more money from us.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  18. rild

rild Avatar

I think the post by Dallas enumerates & illuminates the benefits of this 'program'. It seems well thought out.

The paranoia & vitriol in this thread is astonishing. It burgles the mind how people can demand influence on the development process (thanks to transparent practices) and complain about dev involvement. It takes time and development money to create tutorials, systems are built from the ground up: it makes sense that full quest lines and tutorials will come towards the end. There is SO much information and complexity in this game it is truly overwhelming to many seasoned players, let alone new ones (who we hope to attract).

The community is one of the strongest assets of this crowdfunded and partially crowdsourced project. It is also the one part of the game that is easiest to ignore - not leastwise thanks to FPO & SPO. All other sections of the game can be "forced upon" the player. It is harder to bring new players into the community, and those who feel a little nervous are more likely to stay away. I tell many of my friends to check out the player events, but few attend - because they just haven't found out how fun it is yet. The world doesn't feel empty when you have friends.

A guild hall as common meeting place could be useful - new players go there to seek help, maybe they can access more tutorials, volunteers could hang there and offer assistance.

Don't take umbrage at your perceived "rights" being trampled on. There will be a way to opt-out - they're not going to force veteran players to complete tutorials every time they make a character. Social channels can be muted in your chat window. Perhaps players will be forced out of the guild once they reach a certain point unless they themselves become "officers" or Hospitallers.

Let's just remember who this is aimed at - the new players. They aren't here (yet).

I'll leave it at that. Forgot my Andy Rooney eyebrows and Axe of Troll-slaying in my other pants.

PS @Time Lord that's not the Hospitallers you're thinking of, it's the Fellowship ;)

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Here is some night time story.

In a parallel universe, there is such academy call Shroud School of the Avatars where they have many students who love playing chess. One day several students from different groups and years decided to get together and played some chess. They enjoyed playing so much that they decided to form a weekly meetup with one another once a week and tried to help other students who were new and/or interested in playing chess. The meetup became larger to the point that it was being recognized by the school administrators and had been working cooperatively in bringing new students and faculty into playing chess.

At the same, there were many other students who enjoyed playing chess, but did not attend the weekly meet up due to various reason (e.g., shy, had no time, etc). By not attending the weekly meet up themselves, these folks ended up extrapolate their perceptions of such meet up as some kind of cult where the cool kids were hanging out despite the fact could just attend the meetup themselves if they wanted.

One day the school administrator declared the plan to build several chess tables near the cafeteria, so that everyone who enjoyed the chess can played it without having to bring their own boards to school. For some odd reason, the folks who did not attend the weekly meetup cried out loud and questioned the admins on on the motive of these chess tables, why weren't they being informed of the decisions before it was declared. They even went as far as calling the admin playing favoritism over people who attended the meetup.

Such interesting universe these folks live, yes?

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you seem to imply that we can attend these meetings. We are not crying as you say. I myself cannot attend because I seriously lag in MPO. Its hard to enter the scene and actually move. Typing is like hitting the key, waiting a couple seconds then typing the next letter. Another thing is I work all day everyday. I cannot attend these meetings because of that also. Not all of us can play Shroud from work behind a desk. This is one reason that things need to be hashed out on these OFFICIAL FORUMS. We can read them when we get home and discuss the topic at length. It took me 2 days to download the last patch also, besides my mom going into the ER and buying my grandmother yesterday. We have RL situations going on. So again, I request and as well as the op that these things be discussed openly on these forums instead on in a room in a game that only can hold so many people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.