SotAMap: High Resolution Map of the New Britannia

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Arjac, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lained

Lained Avatar

One of the things I use the site for is to find the location of a town and the search functionality is great for this though more often than not I find I'm zooming out after the search to get a better metal image of its location. I would suggest not zooming in by default but rather place the bubble as gives the information needed and if the town is not within the current bounds zoom out to the full map, I can always zoom in for a closer inspection.

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

I was looking up the Beran's Reach location copying the text from the latest update and couldn't find it then noticed it showed up when typed until I reached the punctuation mark, it might be worth going over town names and changing any punctuation marks to their keyboard friendly counterparts.

Time Lord and Jakub White like this.
  3. Arjac

Arjac Avatar

Added to my "to do list".

Corrected.

Thanks for tips and feedback. It is very important for improve the map and keep it up to date.

Time Lord and Lained like this.
  4. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

What would be interesting is to see what regions are considered higher tier. Maybe an overlay of counties/regions boundaries and eventually information as to what sorts of critters, resources could be found there? I'm curious to know where my home lies in relation to hostilities and the more dangerous locations of the world.

Time Lord, smack, agra and 1 other person like this.
  5. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

This! Pretty please. As new areas are added I this would be even more helpful.

Time Lord and agra like this.
  6. agra

agra Avatar

Would also be great to have filters/overlays/toggles/options for displaying PoT's, PRT's, and NPC towns, as well as dungeons and the 'normal' outdoor resource zones.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I'm actually working on this but I wouldn't be surprised if Jakub or someone else already did this.

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

It's amazing how after two years in SoTA I STILL get lost! Sotamaps is bookmarked and always open. Great work! :)

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Does the SOTA underground equivalent of this map exist yet all on one page? I have seen dungeon maps in snippets, but not combined on one scalable feature like this.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Arjac

Arjac Avatar

What you mean? I did not understand your question...

If you asking for underground POT template - yes its implemented see it here or find Snug Harbor on the overland map click on the icon of the POT then "Location map" then find Red Hook (it is nested POT inside Snug Harbor) click on it ant then go to "Location map".

If you asking for undergrounds scene maps - it is not implemented jet but they will be. Right now, I'm working on adventure scenes with overland access.

11. Arjac

Arjac Avatar

I added a difficulty markers to the basic scene information. It's added for scenes where developers added such markers in game. In the future I will probably provide little bit different markers (i.e. stars around scene icon)

Fringe, Time Lord, Shadow and 3 others like this.
  12. Arjac

Arjac Avatar

I've added a new tool called "Show lot index". It works like Town Crier. You can select, copy and paste data to the Excel or other document. So, you can manage your POT a little bit more flexible.

Astor Cerberus and Time Lord like this.
  13. Curt

Curt Avatar

Beside different colours to show difficulty, could also use different font styles

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The total dungeon underworld, not the POTs.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Thank you Jakub. I can not imagine moving around the world in Britannia without a map anymore than I could imagine moving about the earth world without a map. I would stay lost at all times for my since of direction has never been good. :)

Mata, Jakub White, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Great Job and many thanks as I would have never figured out where I am without it. But... :oops:
    I do have one complaint: I was trying to find myself while on the overland map, so I reached out and shook a tree in the woods and that same tree didn't shake on your map :(
    Otherwise I Love It! :D and many thanks!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Is this working as expected Jakub? I just tried it out in Owl's Head and Ardoris, this is what I'm getting:
    - All lots show as free
    - (probably) because of the above the owner field is blank
    - the name is blank for all Owl's Head lots and everything after VW2 in Ardoris

Assuming that data has the ability to be accurate and close to real time it would be fantastic to be able to see this on a world level, perhaps with filters. It would be good to be able to filter for available village lots in NPC towns (at a world level) for instance.

Thanks for a great tool - I use it all the time!

Mata, Jakub White and Time Lord like this.
  18. Arjac

Arjac Avatar

Done

Technically - it's works fine, but I do not have enought time to update this informations (I dont have time to name each lot, update lot status and so on). I hope that Devs will give us API to do that automatically.

Time Lord, Mata and Lained like this.
  19. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Oh wow - I had no idea you did this manually. Please please please debs give Jakub an API for his wonderful map!

Astor

20. Arjac

Arjac Avatar

SotAMap - A Few Changes
    As you probably noticed, I made a few changes on the site. It's been a long time since the previous update. This was caused by the necessity of rewriting the entire code of the engine. Generally, I improved the performance of server side scripting. But there are also some improvements on the client side.

Show Location Map
    The popup window has been changed. Above all you have to note that the "Location Map" link disappeared. Instead, to open an internal map, you have to click on the name of the map, which is in the header popup.

My Maps
    A new layer called "My Layer" allows you to add markers wherever you want to, and those markers are permanent. So, the next time when you login, you will see them in a place where you placed them before. Those markers are visible only for the user who placed them, that way I didn't have to add any restrictions on placing them. You can place these markers on the overland map, NPC Town map as well as on someone else’s POT map. You can also search for their names.

So, how to do that. First turn on edit mode, then select the top tool named "Insert POI on My Layer", then select the icon from right sidebar, click on the map to add icon, click on previously added icon, edit name and description. Do not forget to save typed data. That's all.

Layers
    There are a few other changes in the layers, which you should know. For example the house layer has been divided into three separate layers: top, middle and bottom. This makes it much easier to create a map of high density areas, because you have more control over what you are doing. Also POI and Label Layer has been split into two separate layers. So, you can hide POTs now.

New resource layer has been added. Every registered user is able to add a resource nodes on adventure scenes. Also a new monster layer has been added. Every registered user is able to add a mob respawn point on adventure scenes.

Nested Towns

Nested towns are searchable now. You are able to search for those towns and they will be visible on the list of suggested results.

PRT/NPC Towns Lot Data
    Every registered user can change lot ownership and lot status on PRT and NPC Town maps.

POT Information
    Information about lot availability has been collapsed to the button, which is located in the lower part of the popup window. POT owners are able to add as many external links as they want to (@Winfield as you requested).

Patreon

I also run a patreon for this project. I would be more than happy if you could help me in funding this project.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    badman2, Wilfred, Lao Tzu and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.