Can COTO purcahses be stolen like other in game purcahses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I have one of the Obsidian Row homes in my inventory and it's showing a 5000g value. I've had a Village house deed stolen from me before and the 40,000g ransom on that one item was too expensive for me to pay so I lost the house.

Are items purchased with COTO protected like everything else sold through the add-on store? I hope so, but seeing a value greater than zero associated with COTO purchase items has me wondering... I'd hate to lose a City home or a stack of COTO purchased items.

Numa, Solazur, iansmellios and 4 others like this.
  2. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Yeah - I'm guessing that's not a bug but an intended game mechanic. Thanks for the confirmation.

There should be disclaimers in the add-on store warning people that items purchased in game with COTO purchased from the add-on are subject to Oracle ransoms and permanent loss. Oh man, I wonder if COTOs can be ransomed... uhg. I'd test this out myself but any pickpocketing action is a virtue hit. haha #imasheep

Then again, maybe it is just a bug... that'd be cool too. :)

4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

That would be a huge factor to consider whether to buy an item from add-on store or from in-game COTOs if that's really the case and not just a bug.

Numa, Solazur, iansmellios and 3 others like this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

And something to ask sellers in the forum marketplace when purchasing anything now. All items from all bundles plus magical dyes, etc... and COTO exclusives that can only be purchased in game with COTO are subject to ransoms... unless it's just a bug like @Sheamus McGuinness put a report in for... I hope it's a bug - if not, the PVP game just got a lot more interesting.

6. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

obsidian row home? hmmm.... time to stalk... @Duke Avery LOL

Numa, iansmellios, Lained and 4 others like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

They better make a distinction of buying it from the add on store bundle vs buying with a coto in game.

If not then the whole buy from the add in store and it cannot be ransomed or stolen will upset a lot of people who paid cash.

8. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Im pretty sure this is a bug, would not make sense to do this. It would make it pointless to put these items on in game vendors if it says like it is.

Solazur and Leelu like this.
  9. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Can't you just keep your valuable stuff in the bank? Legitimate question.

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Not if someone is at one of the COTO vendors and pick pockets you prior to being able to get to a bank from the vendor. Just means if you are PvP, go solo while making purchases from COTO vendors.

Spoon, iansmellios and Leelu like this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Absolutely. For merchants and traders though, it's not uncommon to have an inventory full of items on their way to a vendor - and then you have to stand there at your vendor loading everything one piece at a time. Or when headed across the map to link up with another player for a trade.

Also consider we're on the eve of a consequence mechanic that will slam thieves into PVP for stealing ... If COTO purchased items are intended to be ransom ready, that's cool - but it should be a well advertised risk - leaving something like this open to discovery is just ... well... imagine buying a few thousand COTO worth of goods to put on a vendor in game to sell for gold... you're flagged for PVP - you go to your kitchen for a sandwich and you come back and you've been pickpocketed for everything you had in your inventory...

That's a blog/news worthy rage quit waiting to happen.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I thought UO was the pinnacle of game design... Where anything could be stolen from anyone and if you got something stolen that you didn't want stolen it was your own fault... stupid newb.

13. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

If I was flagged PvP and went to make a sandwich, I wouldn't be surprised to come back and find myself a ghost, it just doesn't seem sensible to go afk logged into multiplayer PvP. Still from your description it seems the consequences of being pickpocketed are potentially much worse than being killed which is pretty ridiculous (as in that should not be the case).

Blink likes this.
  14. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

When you're flagged - you go AFK on the overworld (until that changes)... that's a lesson I learned once already. I'd always heard you couldn't lose a house deed... then I lost one and the Oracle put a 40k gold ransom on it.
    [​IMG]

Lesson learned, and the guy that pinched it from me - he's since tried to pickpocket me and I beat him down and put 30 arrows in his face. I don't mind the risk - I just like to know what's a risk and what isn't. The risk is anything purchased with gold can be stolen... hearing someone say "house deeds can't be stolen", well that person is only talking about pledge deeds or add-on store deeds.

Now, considering that an add-on store deed and a COTO merchant deed are exactly the same house... how do you know what is protected and what isn't? The Obsidian Row deed I have in my inventory has a gold value of 5000 pieces and I'm guessing that it can be stolen or looted as a ransom item. Too many caveats to deal with... and anyone shopping in the forum marketplace now has to wonder what they're buying - a COTO item or an add-on/bundle store store item... because they're exactly the same except for the one teeny tiny detail... in game value.

Just gotta wait and see if this is a bug or not - or wait for someone to get ganked for a few hundred/thousand dollars worth of fresh COTO purchases and then read about it on Kotaku.

Vaentorian and iansmellios like this.
  15. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

All items purchased, found, earned, or crafted in game are vulnerable currently. This includes crown purchases.

Net, Bow Vale, VZ_ and 9 others like this.
  16. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Thanks for the clarification. :)

WHOO-HOO PVP PVP PVP

Oh no - what am I going to do with all these COTO items in my inventory... maybe I'll go to a town siege and try to help people... I hope no one thinks to use this as an opportunity to try and take advantage of me. ;)

Vaentorian, Spoon, Numa and 3 others like this.
  17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Are they currently vulnerable due to the tech? What's the future/definite plan for these items?

iansmellios likes this.
  18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

In Star Citizen it's called lifetime insurance... here, it could be called.... hrmmmmmm... an Oracle Tithe?

iansmellios likes this.
  19. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

I must say this.
    What the help are you doing running around flagged PvP with a house deed in your pocket?
    Unbelievable.
    Also, who in their right minds stock their vendors while flagged PvP?
    This is not just stupid, it's DESPERATELY stupid.
    Amazing.

VZ_ and Korim Rackham like this.
  20. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Please keep it that way!

Bow Vale, VZ_ and iansmellios like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.