Im not Happy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black Death, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Death

Black Death Avatar

wish i had my darkfall screenshots handy... i will find them...

2. Black Death

Black Death Avatar

the house looks very cool...

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

are you in game now. I can show you Wizards Rest. It is a beautiful town.

Black Death and Numa like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This is not Forumfall
    I played Darkfall and it's rereleased for US and EU.
    Housing and the whole game is completely different to SotA as it is to UO.

If you like DF more play DF, if you like UO more before trammel watch out for projects what do this.
    There are some i guess.

To me it seems you wouldn't like SotA gamedesign and will just complain about consensual PvP and zones and many more.

Edit
    Sorry if I sound harsh, but i complain about to many complains , instead of just playing and having fun!

But nice puppy :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Cassandra Corax and Barugon like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

thanks and I really don't spend a lot of time at home. I'm usually adventuring with others ;) but having a great bind space in this game helps so much. I can help anyone with that if they need. Just whisper me, there is no need to not have a home.

Luca Xante likes this.
  6. Vero

Vero Avatar

@Black Death It can take a few 'playhours' together with some other players like @majoria70 before it can 'grab' you and suck you in. I have played UO for ages and in the beginning i was in doubt if Sota can give me the same-ish feeling as UO. Once i started playing with others, and once i found my 'playstyle' (love my archermage here!) and started working on it.. Sota grabbed me! (and i am lost now :p game pulled me in like crazy)

Allot of old UO players found that classic feeling here in sota! offcourse its not UO2. But as said before a 'spiritual successor' and it really is! Give it some time! :) don't worry about more wipes coming, group up, join a guild, make friends, start creating your character, train up and flag for pvp once you think you can kill some others! :).

Try not to compare every little thing here with UO and i know for sure that you will have a blast in Sota!!

if you ever need company, help or wanna talk about the 'good ol UO ages' ingame. whisper me! :)

have fun man!

Kind regards,

7. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

The overworld map and zones get a lot of flak from people who don't understand the design decisions. SotA is not just a world, it is a story. As such, various areas need to change according to story and player actions. Towns get set ablaze, structures get build or destroyed. Essentially, the map needs to be dynamic and scenes need the ability to be changed rapidly.

You cannot have dynamic scenes on a single-scale map because each change, no matter how minor, require a complete map replacement - an unworkable situation. While the look and design of SotA may not be like your familiar, warm and fuzzy UO or Darkfall, if you're willing to try something outside your realm of comfort then you'll find SotA indeed has plenty of UO flavor.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ehm....you are aware that exactly this is not possible due to player housing?

9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I am not aware of any player housing that would prevent this. Not every scene has housing and the uncloning of scenes has demonstrated that significant changes CAN be made without disturbing the player housing..

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yes well talk to Chris or DarkStarr about this.
    The last statement, that isn't longer ago than 6 or so weeks said that exactly this isn't possible because of player housing.
    We had several rage posts about missing consequences from our "i play the storyline and i want immersion" friends about this topic.

11. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I think part of the problem is in your expectations... you seem to be wanting UO2 and this is not it. The game has aspects of UO, but also a lot from the original Ultima games (even 1, 2 and 3) which had an overworld map and zoning into towns, dungeons, etc. It did take me a bit of getting used to after 18 years in UO, but I do like what I see after giving it a fair chance.

12. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

For some scenes (Solace Bridge, Blood River) it's been happening for a long time. Maybe not scenes with housing (though with uncloning it is happening). Not sure what statement from Chris/Darkstarr you are referring to - but to some degree it is obviously happening.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

*shrugs*
    I am just the messenger.
    If you want an...ah.....detailed.....explanation ask @Lord_Darkmoon or take a look at his posts from the last weeks.
    I actually would even go and link it, but i am at work.
    I can post but not search the forum ;-)

14. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

The game is live. It went live in July. The servers are persistent and there will be no further wipes.

15. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I'm sorry, but I cannot see the relevance here. Are you saying that no scene can change because "player housing"? Solace Bridge changes its scene and towns come under siege. How are these not dynamic scene changes?

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

As i already said to @Tazar above.

The sieges are just scenes that get added to your PoT/NPC/PRT scene. Or better: in front of it.
    The siege will be visible on the overworld map. So i guess that might count as dynamic.
    And i guess slapping a scene infront of another scene might be considred as dynamic as well.
    But that's not what we are talking about. Or is it?

PS:
    Because of player housing is btw. the whole explanation i saw back then.
    I am not typing it out of layziness. I am typing it because that was the reason given ;-)

17. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I'm talking about the ability to quickly swap one scene for another. According to the Devs, this is a difficult, if not impossible task on a single-scale map.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

And according to the devs they can't do it because of player housing.
    Hey i am not privy to the details.
    I know what you mean with "but they ar already doing it".
    I was (and still am) equaly puzzled by that statement.

19. psteg

psteg Avatar

Black Death says: "i just don't see the lazy people of today buying this game and going thru how much you have to go thru to learn how to play."

Not to sound mean but this game is not designed for lazy players. The I want it now crowd won't like it. This game takes a bit of patience and a willingness to work towards your goals. Sounds old school to me but I like it. At least you have earned what you accomplish.

And maybe if you applied yourself a little, you would understand the ways of this game better.

20. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.