K’rul open PvP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tetsu Nevara, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Id love that, but its to easily exploited.

2. Womby

Womby Avatar

Correct. There is no need for PVP, just as there is no need for role play, crafting, exploring, questing or any of the other things that people like to do. People do these things because they enjoy them, not because there is some magic rule that says they have to exist. If they are fun, they will exist. If not, they won't. It is in the best interests of Portalarium to make all of these things fun, so that more people play the game.

The whole risk vs reward thing applies to all of that. If you fight a troll, you get a nice reward if you win. Risk vs reward. If you masterwork one more time, you get a better item if you succeed. Risk vs reward. Simply flagging for PVP shouldn't get you a reward. Winning a fight in PVP should get you the reward, just as winning a fight in PVE gets you the reward (XP, loot) or succeeding in masterworking or enchantment gets you the reward (an item with better stats).

PVP is an important part of the game, and it should be supported, but so are many other aspects of the game. It is possible to enrich the PVP experience without giving non-PVP players the impression that they are being discriminated against. The reason most PVE players don't flag for PVP is not because they are risk-averse, but because for them it isn't fun. Think about it. If they were risk-averse they wouldn't enchant or masterwork. After all the risk there is far greater than the risk inherent in PVP. Death doesn't really hurt much. Having an item with really good stats suddenly turn into scrap does.

By all means have areas designed specifically for PVP. I fully understand the need for that. But don't bribe people to go there with XP boosts or other incentives, because that's just an admission that what you created wasn't enticing enough. Better to fix what you made than bribe people to use it.

By the way I think Portalarium are making great strides in improving PVP, and they should be congratulated for that. I am really looking forward to R38.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Simply getting gold for killing somone in pvp is an imbalance in incentive. You get alot more than that in low level pve, and pvp is much much harder and riskier. If you lose you lose gold, which is alot more costly than dying in pve for anyone that isnt beyond end-game levels.

A reward simply placed in a pvp risk offers EVERYONE that opportunity to reap it. Having there only be reward for killing in PvP excludes those who lose all the time, and makes attempting it more than unappealing.

Boss monsters should be worth the effort to fight. PvP areas should be worth the risk to tread

Numa likes this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ok that clearly says, if a player is willing to partake in PvP - and to add this only makes sense if you already have spend about 1000 hours in effective grind (some pvpers have more than 10 GM and all stats at 180) - then you earn special and exclusive content!
    If you dont have the time to get the numbers to pvp or if you just dont want to pvp this content isnt for you.
    And now the important and sorry ignorant conclusion:
    It is possible to share all content and give pvpers the matter and meaning beside exclusiveness, but that isnt acceptable to them, they are clearly saying:
    If you dont want to partake in PvP you do not earn the to enjoy pvp exclusive content.

What a big BS, sorry it is just that.
    Not granting others to have fun with all content the way they like just because the pvpers cannot grant that a pver can get what they get without the risk of pvp.

That is so lame and ignorant and insulting every non pvper that i for myself loose all my interest i may have on PvP, just because i know that the pvpers are just want to be exclusive and the more worth player who can earn and achieve more than others because he is a competetive player.
    The cooperative player is the one who have to make the compromise.

Well that is not just giving time and love into the development of pvp that is just and simple a decision made for those who built their fun on top of the loss of others.
    If the content isnt exclusive the pvpers wont be satisfied, they need to be unique and special and want everybody to allways know that they have Access to special, exclusive rewards and content.
    Otherwise they feel pvp doesnt matter and is meaningless.

I need to ignore that fact, because it really annoys me.

Not because i cannot do it or dont want it, just because everybody is allways ignoring the alternatives and arent able to be satisfied with it.

syxs and Xandra7 like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Having things you can get out of a pvp area is a great way to have pvp get healthier because you dont have to be good at pvp to benifit from it.

And people WILL go to pvp zones if better things are there worth risking your gold for. That is a fact

Numa likes this.
  6. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

This is exactly how I feel. I love PVP but prefer good mechanics over rewards. To me the whole ambush, rez kill, rinse and repeat cycle is very dull and not engaging. And so far not being addressed.

Port can make as many Blood Bays, K'ruls, shardfalls, ruins, skull candles, and xp bonuses as they want. But if the PVP mechanics continue to be as boring as burnt toast it will continue to fail long term. In fact we have already seen this to some extent.

One positive is that this is their first real attempt to address PVP, so I'm looking forward to what Blood Bay and K'rul have to offer. Maybe R38 will be the start of something good.

Xandra7 and Stundorn like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Id like to see a reward or goal or i dont feel a need to engage in the mechanics at all extensivly. So i think pvp related goals are just as important as pvp balance

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

A crowfunded game in another genre - Elite Dangerous - has some of the mechanics right in Power Play (PP). Factions exist and a player needs to be part of a faction to engage in the struggle for territory and influence. If your faction is in the top tier then your factional bonuses increase. But if your faction slips down to the lowest tiers for too long then it risks becoming disbanded.

There are alliances & betrayals and drama of every kind.

What Frontier Developments hasn't ironed out yet is how the BGS (ie. background simulator) which enables minor powers (ie. player factions/guilds ) to take over individual systems ties in with the higher level politics of dominance of PP.

If this were SOTA then :

PP (Power Play) = regional struggles for dominance eg. Drachvald vs Grunvald
    BGS = PvP POT vs PvP POT

Logically the two are linked since local politics & conflicts take place against the background of regional politics & conflicts. In ED, clashes between player factions and PowerPlay factions are not unheard of. When this happens the player faction affected usually joins the PP faction most opposed to the one it is in conflict with.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Those are some rewards and goals i could dig in on, and am assuming thats what blood bay is

Numa likes this.
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Best post I have read on these forums in a long time.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

There is no reason to grant someone exclusive content.
    Tell me why someone or a group of players need exclusive content!?

12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Have you been the add-on store? There are literally pages and pages of exclusive content there you can buy if you like housing and decorating... Nothing for anyone that PVPs... the store is very unbalanced in that regard. How would you propose fixing that content?

Stundorn likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

People who expected a new single player Ultima-like RPG?
    People who wanted to experience "a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII" or play in a "virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII" or experience a game with "rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online"?

Reading through the Kickstarter page, PvP is only mentioned near the end of the page in one small Paragraph:
    "Meaningful PVP that also minimizes griefing:
    An incentive-driven system will draw players into the challenge and intrigue of the PVP experience, whether they become the hunter or the hunted!"

So who was SotA appealing to "in the first place" when it was announced during the Kickstarter campaign?

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I dont like Portalarium working and creating content for just one group of players.
    Their time and work should always put into content for both playertypes.
    Beside the fact that pvp players seem to need that exclusiveness and almost stated that if a similar dungeon and content will be developed it means pvp player will be dissatisfied.

What i exklusively grant pvpers is titles and bones to decorate or craft wearables with.

15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

A person that owns a home can buy everything from the add-on store or craft decorations in game and none of it can be destroyed and it never breaks or decays. A person that PVPs has no options in the add-on store and all worthwhile armor and weapons decay and break, and that's with COTO upkeep.

How balanced is that?

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I dislike buyable content, although i buyed some.
    But this isnt the topic. And of course this is more about the business Model how the game is beeing financed
    This elitist **** is about real money.
    The elitist pvp **** is about segregating from content that need not to constraints to be exclusively to just one playergroup.
    The only reason the pvpers want that is to Show and to be able to say: I can achieve something you cannot, just because i take the risk and or want to compete. And this is neither neccessary nor consensual.

Edit: what do you want to buy for pvp in the Addon Store?

Xandra7 likes this.
  17. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

this is going to happen no matter how angry a few people get about it there is nothing inherently unfair about making zones and content that are open pvp zones because everyone can pvp there is no cash shop/item barrier. only people who do not want to pvp and badly designed content.

what we need to direct our ire and suspicisions at is making sure that these areas are not res and spawn campable. to make sure there is a fair shot at aleast loading into a zone with your party and having a safe place to res and regroup.

the only thing that would stop me from checking out this content is if i die as soon as i zone in or res. if that happens i wont vist a second time.

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Numa like this.
  18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Meh, I'm not here to stress about PVP anymore... I'm putting my hopes and dreams for solid PVP action in CoE and a few other games that are showing good potential - but I would like to see it get off the ground here. There's potential here and for the players that are still willing to fight for it, they really want PVP in SotA. Portalarium will make it work or they won't.

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Btw i found something for pvp in the Store.
    Rez Ankh and Chaossymbol
    Flags for Battlegrounds to express an attitude.
    Either Capes and such. Create your factions, roleplay it's a Roleplaygame!
    And then accept that not everybody want to RP this way, i dont like some RP styles too, i would like to RP-PVP more than only sit in Taverns!!!

Maybe the pvpers reolay less and arent able to create pvp content for their own?

Btw when i am roleplaying i always ready for a Duell of Mages.
    This has a meaning and it matters, because you can claim a title and Position roleplay wise in something i setup.

20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Sorry Stundorn this is supposed to be a game not a LARP festival.

E n v y likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.