PVE and PVP expectations for Finished product request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cirsee, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I have seen lots of comments and complaints on PVP versus PVE and the resulting content. I am sure we all have. I do remember being told in a live stream that PVP would only be consensual. That statement relieved me and I continued backing the game.

However, a lot of PVE players have been worried about what appears to be a PVP focus of late. There has been some bonuses to PVP play and some PVP only zones with drops that also help PVE content. PVE players are concerned that they will miss out on loot that would benefit them in PVE (as well as enhanced exp) or be forced to flag just to finish quests, speak to trainers, etc. that is necessary for gameplay. This is considered coerced PVP. While you aren't saying you must flag; you are passively saying it. I don't want to negate the play for PVP; you guys have every right to have fun as much as we do. It is a hard balancing act.

That being said, I think it is fair to ask Port what the finished product will be for PVE and PVP play styles; as the game isn't finished and we can't truly judge right now. Is this really going to be a PVP focus game? Please can I have a detailed answer @Berek?

Xandra7, Stundorn, Leelu and 5 others like this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Leelu and MrBlight like this.
  3. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Those are more general requests on sandbox and total elements. This is a bit more directed, but thank you for the above links.

Leelu likes this.
  4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are not making a purely PVP focused game. Not sure why people keep spreading that rumor every time we add some PVP elements. We have always been clear that PVP would be part of the game, nothing has changed about that.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

3 years and 36 releases have been 99% PvE
    2 months and 2 releases they have started adding in basic PvP stuff (along with the normal PvE stuff).

Nothing to see here, carry on.

Armar, Bow Vale, Numa and 3 others like this.
  6. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Thank you for the reply, but can I get a rough percentage on PVP and PVE? What about PvP rewards versus PVE and the effect each would be expected in each play style. Is one expected to have a benefit over another? Will I have to flag to talk to quest mobs that are PVE focused?

Leelu, Saesa and FrostII like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

The devs have covered this topic here many times. You will never have to flag PvP to do anything in this game. You could play the game and never have to flag PvP at all. By not flagging PvP at least to this point, you can still do into 99% of the areas in the game (and those are just PvP specific areas for people who want to PvP).

fonsvitae likes this.
  8. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

You guys need love, I get it. Just want clarifications. I had heard old UO was open PVP.

Stundorn and Leelu like this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

UO at first was PvP but it was a disaster (murder and chaos) and they built a duplicate world that you could travel to that was PvP. So you had two cloned versions of the same world that you could travel between. So if you never wanted to PvP, you could stay in the PvE world and do everything you wanted to and not be bothered by another player.

Leelu and Numa like this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

But then they started trying to bait people into PVP zones by adding PVE required content that could only be obtained in pVp areas. This is the concern people have as they also started with small benefits for going like resources, and experience, drops. It was a path they took that was a very soar topic for a lot of UO players. And when they see similarities in the decisions and directions unfortunately they assume the outcome will be the same.

Stundorn, Leelu, Saesa and 2 others like this.
  11. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yes exactly the concern I have and what I have heard from some others as well.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I've seen you repeat that concept over and over and over, so I must ask you - what do YOU consider to be PvE content ?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Gamician and Stundorn like this.
  13. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

1 quest.

do you know how much i have to pve in order to have a pvp-capable cahracter?

MrBlight and fonsvitae like this.
  14. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

it's not as much as you'd think - I'm still wearing starter level gear and I stay flagged 100% of my time in game.

15. Womby

Womby Avatar

PVP is, was, and always will be fully consensual. It has never been and will never be a requirement to flag PVP to progress through the game, complete core* quests or achieve true happiness.

*There will probably be a couple of purely optional PVP quests at some time. You won't have to do them.

16. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

It is a shame there are such voices in game which feel that any aspect of the game that they choose not to partake of (because it is an aspect that involves PVP participation, for instance) is a personal affront to their play style sensibilities.

Learn to coexist. The game does not belong to you (the PVE only player); this game also has PVP content and a PVP community. Also, it is among the options of the devs to have dynamics and mechanics (and items, as well) which benefit and entice one side just as much as there exist the same for the other. These are different worlds with different standards of what constitutes an optimized state, hence different items and content that lends itself to these states.

Learn to coexist. There is plenty of content that only caters to PVE optimization; there can also be content that caters to PVP optimization and also the enticement to the risks and rewards of each of these two worlds. We share this game and neither side has a ground to stand on for stating that all game content should cater only and exclusively to their play style.

majoria70, Preachyr, mercster and 3 others like this.
  17. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Coexists would be equal. Were is my exp boost for PVE? Where is my resources dropping for for a crafter. Keep the PVP benefits where they should be, in PVP not crossing over. Then no one will say anything and very few will PVP until they actually give it a purpose more than just killing each other because you can. Interesting concept... but if you need incentives to get people to do it, maybe it needs reworked so it is more fun, or just less difficult to get started.

18. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

You are asking, where is my apple cutter for my oranges? And, why aren't you happy with the orange cutter for your apples? You are asking the wrong questions because you fail to realize that both these worlds play on different levels of risk and incentive (I addressed that in my above post). The types of questions you ask fail to grasp what it is we have before us. PVE has its incentives, as it should. PVP also, as it should. These incentives are not the same, as each have different criteria for efficiency and success.

Coexisting means tolerating that there is content that benefits one style of play and not the other. Coexisting means tolerating that there are things in game that will be completely useless and non efficient in one style of play yet very valuable in the other. Coexisting means understanding when the devs make such content available and attractive and not throwing a fit because all content in game does not serve your play style. This is coexisting and sharing this games potential; hoarding content and relegating PVP to donning a flag (and nothing else!) is not coexistence, it's the equivalent of locking up the red headed step child. No, thank you; I have a better vision for our game.

Rada Torment and Preachyr like this.
  19. mercster

mercster Avatar

While I agree and understand your sentiment here...I think it's an interesting thing that people expect to experience 100% of the game content, irregardless of their play style.

This was brought to my attention when people were crying about POT bans. "You shouldn't be be able to ban me from your POT, you're depriving me of access to game content!" Which I think is a ridiculous argument. What then, shall we not allow lot bans? Should we not allow locking doors on private homes? That's "depriving" someone of game content as well.

What's next? "I want to have 100% death attunement and 100% life attunement! I deserve 100% of the content!" This is just as silly. How you play necessarily changes the game you're playing, and all games have rules, and all games have obstacles. This is not a point-and-click adventure or a "theme park".

I would rather phrase this "You will never have to flag PVP to do anything in this game, except kill other players, loot other players, or other PVP-related content." :)

Bow Vale, Preachyr and Numa like this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

*cough* wheres my exp for PVP ing?
    Being flagged killing monsters. And PvP are 2 dif things lol

If i could play stricly against other players, i would.
    Instead i play 99% against mobs for that 1% time against players.

Kinkara and Numa like this.
  21. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Same answer, conversation not worth having but why not beat my head against a wall? Because I'm tired.

Make PVP fun with PVP rewards and stop hiding behind a risk vs reward system that is broken and easily avoided.

Valeric, FrostII, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.