Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Etceter mines, waste of time, not enough resources.

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Anvar, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Originaly Etceter mines was overflowing with Gold ore, understandably it was nerfed as it had very little guarding it. Now it is full of ghosts and is one of the harder places to mine yet Im better off mining anywhere else.

Simply make the bottom level spawn Way more than it does now, and make the bottom level all gold and silver ore (where you come in from Quel passage) , we dont need iron and copper down there.

This mine should Imo be spawning enough gold nodes (and silver if you were to add it) for 2-3 people to go at non stop , inbetween killing the numerous ghosts etc which are down there now.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why? If anything, you shouldn't ever be able to gather resources non-stop at all.

Alexander, Solazur, redfish and 5 others like this.
  3. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

I don't go there anymore for mining but I use to go a lot... I'd bet not many do. Other than the Lich quest there isn't much reason to go there now.

Anytime a zone becomes unused because of a change, the change should be reviewed.

Lady Cind, Zader, zyxe and 5 others like this.
  4. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Which is actually still possible in Etceter 3rd level (if you can clear the Lich Room as well) :D

Numa likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I used to go there quite often but archers and ghosts on the first level? How high in levels do you have to be to get some copper? No thanks.

6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

One of the biggest rules of games to minimize down time and maximize engagement and activity. This is why I don't like the down time involved in smelting much.

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

I agree that it's important to minimize down time and maximize engagement, but allowing the player to gather in the same spot non-stop actually has the opposite effect... because you're not encouraging them to go elsewhere to continue their activity of choice.

It gets stagnant but they'll keep on doing it in the same location, in the same environment, over and over... because they can.

Numa likes this.
  8. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

If that's what they enjoy, then let them? If you're worried about economic impact, decrease yield. You could try to force them to go to other places, but if you provide a mine with exactly the resources they need, and say, "enjoy!" They will stay there and enjoy.

If you make it so they mine for 5 minutes and go AFK in a corner for 10 minutes while the ore respawns, you're not preventing stagnant gameplay; you're creating it.

zyxe, Prime2, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  9. Gix

Gix Avatar

What do they enjoy? The process of gathering or just the fact that they've got the ore?

There is such a concept as "spoiling your players". If the player's instinctual response is to go AFK for 10 minutes, then that mean there wasn't much of anything in the game keeping the player interested in the first place... That means the player would rather do something else entirely.

You might as well make the ore spawn directly into their inventory...

Elfenwahn likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

It's called grinding, and its boring.

11. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

@Gix I don't think you understand that some people just enjoy mining. They enjoy going from node to node and hitting E while fighting off the occasional respawn. Runescape has a fierce and loyal player base full of this type of player.

Your comment about spoiling the players doesn't really make sense. It's not a matter of spoiling a player, but instead it's letting them play the game how they want. This is a sandbox, isn't it? You're supposed to do what you want in a sandbox. That's the whole bloody purpose.

Lady Cind, zyxe, Vrunk Hrrk and 5 others like this.
  12. Uncle Sven

Uncle Sven Avatar

I agree there is too much down time, by far. Only thing worse is trying to find another zone to get what you need and realizing it took longer to get there than it would have to wait for respawn.

13. Gix

Gix Avatar

But they're already playing the way they want... don't you get it?

That's like me saying that I like killing things and that I want every enemy in the game to have 1 health and respawn instantly so that I can keep on killing. Keep on killing. I don't need to go anywhere! I can just keep on killing. Why? Because that's what I want to do, I like it and this is a sandbox should I should be able to do whatever I want!

That's what I mean by "spoiling the players". Don't you think it'd be more interesting if the game were to nudge the players out of the mines (their comfort zone) and have them explore and discover cool new areas to mine? Maybe they'd find some kryptonite or something! Who knows?

Technically, that'd be farming... but yeah.

TarrNokk likes this.
  14. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

Is it hurting you? Are you suffering because they can play the game how they enjoy? Why change it?

That's hyperbole on an extreme level that it is no longer relavent to the a discussion. Please offer a point and rebuttal, not a zealotic view.

That would be awesome and I support that idea. However, it should be in addition to the mine, not in place of.

15. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I totally agree to Gix and I don't feel its an exaggeration, it's the same thing. I don't like gathering stuff but I do sometimes when I need it. My experience is, when I need silver, I go to Elysium 3rd level and go from node to node non stop. It's without any effort and really boring. When I go killing mobs which I do like, I like the challenge to compete vs yellow and orange mobs with the risk to die. If the mobs would be 1 shot and did insta respawn it would be same boring like farming ore.

16. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

@TarrNokk I can see that stand point, but that's also your own opinion. I don't mind mining. I find it relaxing and it allows me to progress while not worrying about my child needing attention mid-combat. I also agree that one shotting mobs would be boring. However, it's apples and oranges when you compare gathering to combat.

If you want exciting gathering, the whole system needs to be gutted and completely overhauled from the ground up. Simply lowering spawn rates does not, in the absolute slightest, benefit either the combat party or the gathering party.

My point is that if you're not a gatherer, that's fine. They could definitely add ways for you to get resources in an exciting way. However, that doesn't mean they should force gatherers into that life. There is no impact on your play style by lowering the ore spawn rate. It is, however, a negative impact to gatherers.

17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I want SotA to install a McMine. I pull up at the drive up and place my order and at the drive up window gold and silver falls out everywhere for me to take home. The only thing I have to fight is the line of traffic the avatars create out into the street waiting their turn. :)o_O

18. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I would rather they focus on balancing out the locations instead of just nerf bombing the ones that are productive.

They need to set a resonable amount of or that one can obtain in an hour as their goal and give multiple scenes that can accomplish that goal. That way not everyone is flocking to the one scene they can be productive on but, they can chose what scene they want to be productive in that night. Same goes with exp. why is there such a difference between five skull area when 1 is so heavily weighted with the easiest spawn and best Xp. Set a target of X per hour and each 5 skull area should be able to accomplish that with dimisbishing amounts going down tiers. Seems easy to type, not so easy to implement it seems.

Elfenwahn likes this.
  19. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I don't mind people minig ore non stop, I am the one who will buy it to lower prices the more they gather. BUT I don't see why mining is such a simple thing but in contrast adventuring gets harder and harder with every patch. Example: I like going solo in The Rise because mobs are hard and in bigger groups. I had fun on the entry levels with a lot of deads. With R38 and upcoming patches it's almost impossible for me to go there as they tuned down hit rate, I had to change from leather to cloth because I use a mix of Air/Archery and my fizzle increased with the new maths of Bow fizzle%. Am I forced to go to 4 skull areas now with worse loot than before? Why?

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

Let me remind you that I'm not the one requesting change. I oppose the change because it promotes slothfulness.

While I won't touch gathering and crafting with a 10-foot pole, it has a impact on how easily I can get through combat. More ore = more weapons and armour = cheaper weapons and armour = easier fights = less engagement = boring.

They're both fruits. They both have skin, seeds, saturated with flavour and normally feature a single easily-identifiable colour.

Here, they're both concepts that makes each a mindless/boring activity. Both have serious repercussions with overall balance of the game. Both would be activities that'd be relaxing. Both people who suggested it thinks it'd be a good idea for their own sake. And both can have the excuse of "if this guy wants to play that way, why won't the game let him?"

Well we can't achieve this if people found a location that completely satisfies all of their needs... for the same reasons why mining nodes aren't stacked exactly in the same location; you have to look around the mine to find more ore. You should have to look around the world to find more mines.

Just like in combat, I have to look around to kill more enemies...

Merely upping the ante across the board isn't much of a solution. In fact, I'd argue that it perpetuates the problem even further.

I mean, sure, the game needs to be fun, but a nerf is only a nerf when the public eye was used to the previous state. The game's not released yet; hang on tight because it's going to be a bumpy ride still.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.