Scottie taking a much-needed sabbatical to finish publishing an RPG book!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scottie, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

WELCOME BACK!!!

Scottie likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Welcome back, @Scottie! Looking forward to your part of the telethon most of all! I'm a lore buff.

Let us know when "Shard: Magic and Martial Arts" is available to order!

Scottie likes this.
  3. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Thank you, my friend! ^_^

Scottie ^_^

4. Scottie

Excellent!

Will do!

Scottie ^_^

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome back Scottie. I'm so happy you are back. :)

Scottie likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Wow that's going to be very interesting. I can't wait to see the Concordant Diagram, that should answer a lot of questions. :)

I hope you guys have an opportunity to answer questions like this too:

Also, I hope when you get a chance in the future you get to make some new book covers. We need those!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Scottie likes this.
  7. Scottie

Thanks Majoria! It's great to be back!

Scottie ^_^

majoria70 likes this.
  8. Scottie

Possibly so! Although it is a fairly simple diagram, despite the rest of the page showing the Anti-Virtue / Anti-Principle symbols...

The Concordant Diagram, in essence, crudely illustrates (on one side) what actually contributes to the ideologies favored by the ancient Obsidians and their remnant ilk (generally considered to be authoritarian fascists and wicked villains of the game), as compared (on the other side) to the ideologies favored by the rest of the world (generally considered to be free-willed people with a degree of empathy toward others; essentially decent folks)... It does this by simply illustrating that when Free Will (represented by Chaos and even embracing certain fulfilling elements of the Anti-Virtues) AND the Principles (represented by both the Principles and the Virtues) are applied to the way we choose to treat ourselves and other (our Animus), we achieve a state of "Ethos" (represented by the concept of Ethical Hedonism, which both Darkstarr and Lord British agree to embrace. However, as both Free Will and the Principles are EXCLUDED and DENIED when we deal with ourselves and others, we eventually derive a state of Dominion as embraced by the Obsidians, exemplified by cruel and authoritarian fascism...

The result of this creates some interesting topics of discussion, as far as I'm concerned, because to me it satisfies some of the consternations I've heard that the term "Anti-Virtues" automatically means "evil", which I actually believe isn't the case... Here's why: If we assume that the Virtues and Anti-Virtues are merely two sides of the same coin (being the "Virtue System"), and that Chaos represent Free Will,...those who follow Chaos sometimes choose to engage in both Virtues as well as Anti-Virtues, depending on what gives them pleasure and fulfillment at the time... This chaotic choice, as we've already established, isn't inherently "evil", if for no other reason than the concepts of "good" and "evil" are highly subjective and open to interpretation on a case by case basis... We specifically avoid these labels since we don't believe that Chaos is the opposite of the system of Principles...

Let's take "Carnality" as an example (one that I believe causes some of the concern among proponents of such pleasures)... "Carnality" may be the Anti-Virtue of "Spirituality", but this is because, by neutral definition, Carnality is merely a state of bliss and fulfillment derived through "physicality", and Spirituality is merely a state of bliss and fulfillment derived through "meta-physicality"...

If the enjoyment of Carnality is combined with Free Will and other positive Principles and Virtues applied to everyone involved, then it moves toward a state of "Ethos" (the consensual pleasures of Ethical Hedonism)... In this case, the outcome of engaging in Carnality is positive and ethical.

However, if the enjoyment of Carnality is derived by denying others' Free Will and while dismissing any positive aspects of the other virtues as applied to people involved, then it moves instead toward a state of forced, fascist "Dominion" (non-consenting carnal abuse)... In this case, the outcome of engaging in Carnality is negative and unethical.

This same logic can be applied to the rest of the system as well, with obvious examples being Honesty and Deceit (either of which could be used kindly or brutally, depending on the circumstances), as well as Sacrifice and Punishment (either of which could be used as tools of salvation or cruelty)...

Looking, then, at the idea of the Obsidian Cabalists choosing the Anti-Virtues and Anti-Principles as their symbolical representation, it becomes more apparent that they have chosen fascist, unethical ways to interpret these symbols for the sake of achieving Dominion and cruel power over others...

As simple as the Concordant Diagram may be, its purpose is to illustrate the philosophical application of its essential elements in these ways, as it applies to both the behavior of the "villains" in our game, as well as its "heroes"....

Scottie ^_^

9. Drocis the Devious

Thank you, Scottie!

That is a fantastic explanation and very clearly shows the relationships in a way that I haven't seen done before. This really does a great job answering my question.

Now it will be very interesting to see how the game measures our actions based on this logic. Tricky stuff! But the idea of "consent vs. non-consent" is a powerful one that should prove to be very difficult to argue against.

Scottie likes this.
  10. Scottie

Thank you! And that diagram Richard and I will be showing will be even more meaningful with the understanding that, while fascist Dominion is indeed the opposite of Ethos,...both are merely opposite outcomes of how you treat yourself and others... Chaos (Free Will) and the Principles/Anti-Principles system are merely elements that can lead to EITHER outcome depending upon the extent to which they are either applied, combined, or excluded...

Good times!

Scottie ^_^

11. Scottie

Let's see if I can answer some of the questions you have! ^_^

Excellent question! After asking Richard about this, he indicates that the 8 Cabalists of the Obsidians that we're now introducing are ancient sorcerers who were actually alive over 200 years ago during the reign of the Obsidian Empire, and have sustained themselves (like Voldemort) using vile magic and rituals still tied to the power of the obsidian shards... Though they are abominations in the flesh, they are actually "alive" underneath those robes and masks... They float with the power of their own ancient magics... The 4 "lords" mentioned above, which appear as part of the Tower of the Shuttered Eye, are actually undead servants of the Cabalist Temna... Temna represents Hatred, and by extension is the Cabalist leader of the cult of the moon Dastard, whose forces will attack towns that venerate Valor when that moon passes in front of the constellation of Valor...

So here's the interesting thing about the Dire Prophesy (sometimes called the "Dirae Prophesy" or the "Prophesy of the Obsidian Eye" because it was transcribed by the Obsidian sorcerous acolyte Markus Dirae as he heard the Prophesy uttered by the Obsidian Eye as he stood before the Destiny Pool hundreds of years before present day):.... This prophesy, at its very heart, indicates the ultimate fall of the Obsidians and their Empire, never to return... It attributes this fall to what we can only assume are the actions of the one who wields the Sword of Midras while the Obsidians suffer from their own growing corruption from within. And in the end, long after the fall of the Obsidians, the Prophesy seems to indicate that those inspired by these ancient events, for good or for ill, will eventually lead to a time of "perfect twilight" for the world, a descent into some perfect, ordered, flawless darkness of "night"...

The Cabalists, in mourning for their lost fascist Obsidian Empire, choose to interpret this as the end of the world, and seek to bring this about... The cultist servants of the Cabalists have essentially been indoctrinated into these fascist ways as either mindless servants or slaves whose Free Will has been utterly subjugated by fear and oppression, and whose only actions are the demands of their masters... Imagine, then, that these minions will always be NPCs, because even the most villainous of Players will always be judged by them as having too much free will and desire for self-gratification to support their cause mindlessly, and will therefore always be attacked as opposed to allied with... The Cabalists don't want allies, they want only slaves to their will...

Ha ha!!! Yes,...we all want to float like Cabalists, but sadly,...you are correct sir... What allows them to float are the ancient and lost arts of the Obsidian Sorcerers... Their masks, and robes only look cool (at least for now)... But, by extension,...you will actually BE COOLER if you wear them! ^_^

You are correct, the 8 Cabalist Leaders and the 7 Attributes of Dominion do not align, and for this reason: ...After the fall of the Obsidian Empire, as had been foretold in the Dire Prophesy of the Obsidian Eye, the last remnants of their sorcerous Cabal made the decision that, if the world could not be theirs under Obsidian Dominion, then it should come to a "perfect" end as indicated by the Prophesy... Interestingly enough, they recognized that the edicts and might of the Obsidian Empire had not been enough to stop its fall. Instead, as the Prophesy seemed to hint at, the Sword of Midras and its link to the Principles and Virtues has something to do with this eventual "twilight of the world"... The remnant Cabalists, seeking to bring this about, believe this can be achieved by twisting the Virtues, venerating the Anti-Virtues, and laying siege to those who display devotion to the pristine Virtues.... With the help of their remnant re-shaped abominations, their mindless slaves, and their undead servants, the Cabalists firmly believe that where the Obsidian Empire failed, they will succeed,...and that their terrible bloodshed will eventually bring about the end of all life and the world itself, "until only the night remains"...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Thanks, Scottie! Super helpful information.

This is very interesting. I know Richard has publicly hinted that there would eventually (perhaps EP2 or 3) be a darker path for players to take and that there may be alternative "anti-virtue' devotionals. So it will be interesting to see how this balances out. It's certainly enough for me to reevaluate how I plan to interact with the Calalists. Off the top of my head I think it means I'll attempt to follow my own path towards the fulfillment of the prophecy that results in my own benefit. Good stuff!

I hope there will be a way to steal the knowledge and power of the Cabalists. Something very challenging that has to be performed SOLO and without a guild or group helping you. #noguildcrutch:)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Scottie likes this.
  14. Scottie

Excellent sir... "Your own path" is exactly the right tactic... The path of the One... After all, much like the Lord of the Rings,...there's only room for one "Dark Lord on his Dark Throne"....and for you to achieve that, the world can't be allowed to come to an end... It must be YOURS to rule over!!!! Surely you will succeed where the Obsidians failed... ^_^

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If this is true and that's how sieges work then their schedules are royally screwed up. Though I was under the impression that Tenma was hatred and Nefario would be cowardice.. If the red moon is Dastard.. that implies the moons are named similarly to the old dungeons.

Scottie likes this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

@Scottie. It is good to see you on screen again. Thank you for taking the time to explain Xenos and othe area you have been working on.

I still remember your hospitality towards me in November 2014 for hobloth 2. I cherish the SOTA cap you graciously signed for me. :)

Thank you.

17. Scottie

I wouldn't say "screwed up", because they're not done yet. These things haven't been hooked up to function, are still a work in progress, and there are still changes on the way to make the celestial stuff match Richard's system (including order of the moons and such)... Worry not!

majoria70 and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  18. Scottie

My pleasure! ^_^

majoria70 and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  19. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

It is amazing that your writing flows exactly like your speech. Totally heard your voice while reading it. Will all this lore make it into a single place (not the forums)?

Daxxe Diggler, majoria70 and Scottie like this.
  20. Scottie

Heh! I'm overly-verbose in ALL media! ^_^ And yes, absolutely,...as I do my best to share the bits and pieces of lore here (sometimes verifying the "correctness" and usage of ideas on the fly with Richard), I'm also considering how to best piece all of it together so that it's easily referenced later... I'm not sure what they'll do with it (we have so many documents with these kinds of tidbits pertaining to each family of tasks), but hopefully it can eventually be compiled into a "lore-book" of some kind for general reference...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.