Deathmage God Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I have to agree with you. There needs to be some sort of path towards content that would make sense for increasing the damage of other schools

2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Next time you show up flagged, I'm not fighting a dragon, and I have something other than my dragon deck on that makes me walk at half speed with my buff only deck as alternate, then come see me ;)

Next time I see an unflagged player come stand by me as I'm grinding, instead of wondering if they're wanting me to invite them to party, I'm going to put down my bowl of chili, put my good armor on, and stick with the most likely scenario that they've come to attack me at which point I can assume with high certainty that they're also a death mage.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

There's another solution.

Scrap the elemental magic trees altogether and convert it to a single magic tree, and let's get a spellbook back in the game where you find scrolls to fill it. Based on your skills in the magic tree, you get better at casting magic, and can cast whatever you want so long as it's in your toolbar.

So now you'd be balancing spells against your skill level, with access to any of them so long as you have it in your spellbook!

I almost thought of this all by myself, really

4. Derium

Derium Avatar

All we are going to do is keep nerfing everything and making the mobs stronger.

Soon this will become a themepark game where you'll HAVE to have a group of 5+ to do anything.

/Signed a current Death Mage sitting with a fleshed out dead taming tree.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Della kit

Della kit Avatar

Dayumn, looks like Devil left those tidbits out. Now I'd like to hear more about this chili.

Vaiden Luro and Cassyr Dubois like this.
  6. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

why nerf no need for nerf just make some othere schools better then they are
    nerfing is always bad as it makes players unhappy insted lets bost skills thats not as good insted of bringing evry thing down to a point were we all killing mice
    lets insted bost unpopular schools little higher and make them also better

lets face it wen some are good even mice battle there be some that win now dont punich the winner for be good and pick the right skill insted make more options for othere guys to use othere means to be as efective
    some will always cry this is over powerd and lets nerf this but nerfing is never a good thing to do bost othere skills insted of nerfing

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

A simple fix to the tree is to lower the amount it heals death mages by 15% then it would be more balanced without changing the damage. Right now the life debuff is a joke because a death mage would never actually need healing from any tree. I'm a healer and I have had to GM death tree skills just to block death mages who are over powered from killing me. The tree is imbalanced and needs a look at. Devilcut left out the part where they could not kill me which shocker is because I have gm death skills and buffs. Anyone who has not GM death magic is screwed. GMing a tree should not be the remedy to preventing getting killed by it or we need to add some attunement to normal weapons so you have to gm swords to block a gm swordsman. So by all means all the death mages that are complaining they are not over powered here you are welcome to start advocating that to block all other skills you need a GM or greater in that skill and that all other skill trees should be able to walk into any group of mobs and kill them in 5 secs. If I can walk into an area kill a rabbit or deer then run around gathering up mobs over the dead body and immediately hit my I-win button, I have turned into a fire mage 7 months ago and we all know how that turned out.....

8. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

That's very interesting to point out. So your skill high in Death magic to give a high attunement coupled with your normal healing skills allowed you to become not killable against a death mage that just killed your buddy?

The only way whether it right or wrong in mechanics is to raise attunement in a magic school as a defence against said school, coupled with any innate that give resistance as well. Your friend who i take it was Sara from reading though these posts died because they didn't have any natural resistance to death magic and even your healing couldn't save, but yourself with a high resistance to was not killable . Imagine if one or either of you was using celestial blessing or /and potions of resistance as well, with a high attunement....god mode v death mages!

I personally do not like having to raise skills you will never use in a magic school in order to gain a resistance to, it means we ALL have to do that for every school, making everyone a hybrid of some type or other. But that's the way it is I'm afraid :(

From what you say death is not overpowered at all, especially for pvp and the system is working as intended, maybe to well...Buff Death mages!!

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I remember when it was supposed to be raise one school, take a hit in the opposing school... and when that went away people just left it alone and the advantages of raising attunements were ignored by lots of players. Mobs are getting magic resists finally, and now with more players reaching end-game levels the advantages of having high attunes in all schools for PVE/PVP is becoming more noticeable. I still gotta get a warlock necklace but the breakout advantages will always favor those players that cap everything then add armor, potions, weps, blessings, artifacts, etc. It's going to become harder and harder for anyone that is considered to be the best (insert role here) to challenge the players that have capped everything, invested in the right kit/buffs and have decent enough skills to stack glyphs and keep DPS on.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Really the aruguement is less nerf something and more make sure its ballanced better.

Deathray not only hits harder than anything I control it appears its not effected buy cover and misses as much as ranged. Both schools have resistences attunment/armor but each dps hit is a heal, Way outmatched skill vrs skill.

Now the real one forget the name death field. Massive hits to a large group of mobs while healing, ive seen deathmages tank in cloth several high level mobs at once. Cant do that either...

Then there is corpse explosion - wicked for setting up kill zones for bosses.

Archers get a slow but sadly all the high level bosses are immune to it as well as some high level mobs.

Archers have to change spec for diffrent play styles heavy vrs light via piercing shot, rapid fire multi shot not effective vrs heavy and piercing shot is a waste vrs light. As far as im aware deathmages dont have these problems.

Death mage can do everthing a archer can do but 3x better and more efficient.

Its pretty retarded of me not to have made the switch, once i get done milking the mines ill get it done.

11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Found it... I knew there had been a post talking about how attunement is translated to resistance.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-36-instructions.71501/
    • Magic Damage Types & Resistances: Starting in R36, there is now a more formal resistance system in place for players and creatures. Currently players can mostly gain resistances through gear, but skills and spells will appear in future releases to allow players to expand their resistances. The simplest way to describe how resistances work is to say they are Defensive Attunement. So if you have 50 Death Magic Resistance, that will counter the extra damage that a caster would get from having 50 Attunement. Finally, players who don’t want to use magic can have a way to resist casters! Creatures now also have Resistances. For simple, natural creatures, like bears and spiders, they will have a small amount of Resistance to all magic but generally be fairly easy to affect. Many of the more magical creatures have some very high Magic Resistances to specific schools. This means that if you were a player that only used a very limited set of skills on everything, you are likely going to have to change your strategy when fighting some creature types. As an example, Fire Elementals are almost completely immune to fire, and moderately resistant to all other types of magic except for water magic, which they have no resistances to. There are also a few creatures that are just highly resistant to most magic and will be difficult to kill now without the help of a weapon. For those who rely heavily on magic, this will make the game more challenging. There will probably be things you used to be able to kill that you can no longer kill. This is expected and just know that all other casters will be facing the same challenges.
    And during the Spring 2017 Telethon, Chris talks about how attunement + resistance = total resistance when defending against magic.

Start time: 8hr 43m

--------------------------------

Basically, anyone that want's to stay relevant in PVE and/or PVP will eventually have to level everything and know someone in the crafting world that can craft them competitive advantages through gear... or find artifacts.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I am Captain Hindsight here but I told you all that a couple of years ago that total freedom means everyone will have to level everything to be competitive.

13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

If I remember correctly the basic plan was that just your strongest magic school is giving you attunement as a buff on damage/resistance as some kind of specialization but giving the bonus to all magic schools really sounds like end contend is just for all-rounders…I still hope this is just temporarly because of currently missing mechanics. :(

14. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Not sure what you are saying here, but death ray is effected by cover, i am always getting very low hits against mobs under cover and sometimes when they not, but that's the cover system, a little borked,

Nope, you haven't got it trained, train it if it is of benefit to you, but an archer is usually stand away damage, this is a totally different play style. It sounds like as an archer you want to do what all other classes can do. Actually you can if u wish, train them!

I was an archer once, hence the name! But i took the plunge and I'm sure over the time of the game i will revert/change/cry/despair with all the changes...luckily i didn't change my name to Death Veil :) as i likely will have to change it to something else with balances and type of play i do predominantly.

Nope they cant. First we do death magic damage, resisted by approx. 1/3 of the mobs in the game and also do low damage to boss's as they have high resistance to. Ask most who know and they will tell you, the best damage to Boss's is melee, and archery specifically is the build to do it.

Agree with you here........... Death is very good for solo players against normal mobs and a few higher, not however against undead. It is not god mode against Boss's and it is not as shown above with Andartianna's post unbeatable if you have it trained yourself in pvp. Also for group play a death mage always feels left out, cant be healed, have to look after self, means it is the choice of build for solo players for normal content or people who cant due to time allowance/people on group up.

Theres TONS of balancing needed in the game, on all schools, some buffed some balanced... I'm not saying it doesn't need it but death magic already has a number of downsides and it wouldn't take many changes to turn it into another taming disaster.

uziraff, Derium, mass and 1 other person like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Not saying its not but standing next to a death mage his death ray was getting threw my rapid fire was getting cover ive no science to prove this just what I obeserved.

Nope not the case nice try!
    No way were gonna agree on anything, and yes I think I will join you all. Thats the true measure I think seeing everyone switching to one tree.

Huh, u can still train life tree for attunment??

It is kinda courious a guy named Bow vale isnt playing a archer but a death mage.. kidding dont be offended and death vale is only $25 away. /wink

16. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Here is the problem, the nerf comes and they make death magic to where its useless.

Can we just TWEAK it down a little instead of just making death magic useless.

We need to stop with knee jerk nerfs and try the middle of the road vs ruining an entire school and making it useless.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No one is asking for anything extream just ballance.

When a dps spell hits as hard or harder than anything out there AND ALSO heals.. there is a ballance problem.

Give archers leeching arrow and melee some version of that etc. Im not asking for archery to op id love them all to be on the same level and the only diffrence play style.

You have blugeon and polearms on the do not play list and death on the everyone wants list.

18. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

Thanks for all the responces, I do wish Chris would have weighed in here on this subject. I really do not want to waste my time switching over and unlearning everything if its going to be nerfed.

19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Looking at the bigger picture, Chris has weighed in about attunement and resistance - and it's been said only a couple magic trees are finished. So, consider this:

If a death mage has a 120 native attunement in the death tree, add another +30 attunement from wands, add another +50 resist and +50 attunement from potions, add +50 from lich ring, add +10 from warlock neckalce, gem the armor, etc ... and now factor in all the other stats. Someone using blades would need their death attunement to be above 200 to reasonably defend against a properly timed attack.

The problem isn't the death tree, it's people being end-game levels and hitting soft caps in skill progression and then adding all the gear, foods, potions, buffs, etc. Nerfing death might be something to do until the other magic schools are fixed - but it shouldn't be a permanent solution.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  20. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

My fear out of this discussion is that one of two things will happen. One, another damage tree will get whacked over the head until its not viable because it killed someone in PVP and they didn't like it, and in this case its one I like to use to stay alive a little longer as mixed sword and magic. Two, the problem I already have of staying alive as primarily a melee user will be compounded by both the above, or making every other range skill even better and then given to all the NPCs. (Sota by design lacks the usual rock/paper/scissors of a true class system where a tank has high mitigation and health to trade for their lack of range and somewhat lower damage, here everyone can be both the rock and the scissors or tank and cannon as the case may be and to some degree has to)

As has been said, death is situational, its useless against the undead and heavily resisted against a lot of big things. To complain that it excels in those situations, especially that it does what it was intended to do (heal) is just frustrating to read and again, comes off as sour grapes.

Someone said earlier the right answer could be to up the number of counters to magic, but even though that would help me a ton in PVE, I'll be PVP friendly enough to admit that reaches a point where magic is no longer viable in PVP because everyone is just immune to everything.

Stundorn, Vrunk Hrrk and mass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.