Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

There would probably be an indication on the overhead map to show something is going on in there. If you try to enter, the server will add you to the instance, or it won't depending on the circumstances of the quest. If it won't, you drop into a generic hex, like anywhere else.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Which is what makes Selective Multiplayer unlike anything seen before. I hope Portalarium can pull it off.

Ned888 likes this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why should I remove the mark? If the smith is skilled, that should increase the resale value. I should be able to resell items I obtain legitimately.

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

they should have a court system and jail time, when a court is about to open you get a notice "court now open for so and so" you go there and listen to the pleas, and book em or fine them or put them in prison! there are games out there that have that system, of course the victim needs to be present as well as the culprit! and in prison you can dig dirt, break boulders make a little exp, or try to escape from prison!

5. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I don't. There is the potential for NO risk what so ever. It's unreliable and therefore it renders the 'risk vs. reward' argument moot.

There is the potential for No risk or Limited risk. Things need to be consistent throughout otherwise things can get weird.

As an example, maybe I'll wait a few weeks until everyone moves on to other content and then I'll go collect my nightshade. No one will be around to stop me and there's the potential that no one ever will as they will keep moving farther and farther along in the game. I'll just stagger my play and ensure an easy time of things for myself! It could easily happen as areas get depopulated through natural progression of the game. Sure the game could step in and supply a PvE challenge, but why not start here to begin with? It's more reliable and can be immediately scaled to the character who is in the instance. What happens if you are already Uber and you do this mission, but the only players available in queue are new characters? No challenge at all!

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

The purpose of the quest is not massive loot, but introduction to PvP. If no one is available at that particular moment, you can still complete the quest, get a trivial reward, and do it again later to complete the real goal of the quest, which was introduction to PvP.
    You presume the nightshade is of great value, but it need not be. It's what's known as a McGuffin. It doesn't matter what the McGuffin is, and it need not be of any particular value. It just supplies a story line reason for you to go there. It's a plot device, nothing more.

7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

You can resell the item, but not with your name on it as the owner.
    Take your name off and sell it.
    That way someone else can put their name as the owner.
    If you made the item your makers mark would still be on there.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Counterfeit makers marks? That defeats the purpose. Why have them at all if the name might not be the one who made it? The mark is intended to show who made the thing, so skilled crafters can be better rewarded for the fruits of their labor.

9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

So what you're saying is the Nightshade is bait to attract... VICTIMS!!!

Just getting the thread back on the subject! ;)

If that's the case then there is no reason to even do the quest, because I'm betting that the majority of players won't want to PvP as in most other games.

10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

As far as join instances and quests, I want to be able to have friends join in no matter what their level is.
    Joining instances based on your level or where you are at in a quest is what I don't want.

11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Then they need to find a way to get rid of the level system.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

and you dont have to do that quest according to RG! Thats the best part!

13. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Your mixing things up.
    Makers marks cannot be removed.
    Owners marks can.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Willing participants, silly rabbit.
    Then don't accept the quest. I think the people who accept the quest will be doing so with the understanding that this quest is there to provide them with a PvP opportunity that is more open ended and free wheeling than accepting a duel. If it is a PvP quest, the purpose of the quest is obviously the PvP, not the McGuffin.

15. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Or find a way for quests to be more then just defeat the enemy near the same level you are.

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

I've only heard of maker's marks. If there will be owners marks, that's something different. Have the devs announced that, or is this just a suggestion?

17. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

No that is what I was suggesting.
    A second mark to show the owner.
    So if you lose something you may get it back.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Argue that with Richard Garriott. He's the one who as said that some quests under Selective Multiplayer may be limited. Others will be free for all. Depends on the quest, and the intent of the game design behind that quest.

19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm hoping for some quests might be like going into a camp of natives and your group could either steal, kill, or trade to get the item you need.
    Killing them would be the quickest way out.

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

The only way to get rid of the level system is if there is no player advancement. I think that is very unlikely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.