Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think they would be just fine with all those pvp options, as well as the pve options! In the case that you raid, pvp battleground, and 5 mans in several games would be far more than enough to comment in pvp, since you do play both! and you know about both!

and no we wouldn't be just standing around, we too would be doing our thing, game quests etc... but im sure a lot of us will be at taverns if they are set up for social time etc... and that point you could voice that you may need some people to help out, in turn we would oblige more than likely! I am not just concerned with myself either, id like everyone to enjoy their play! Some of us would stand around with you for a certain amount of time, that's why you would have to specify how long you wanted to do it in the contract. Its not a rosy outlook, but if i was standing around with you for more than one hour you would have to compensate me for my time! since i wouldn't be out killing things and getting money myself! Instead of assuming what we would be doing assume that, we are playing our characters the way we want! (even if that means standing around in a tavern)

2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

There are also games out there that the PVP, works just fine with the PVE crowd. I can name about 5 or 6 right off the top of my head, that are doing just fine.

3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Yeah, but I wasn't dumb enough to buy lifetime subs to those games! :D

I hope that the basic premise from CO's PvP arenas and events are reviewed by the dev team though. They started out so awesome!

Imagine you are in a dungeon with your teammates and the cell doors open and prisoners pour out of the cells attacking everyone in a mad dash to escape. Depending on which team you are on, you are either there to try to keep the prisoners in or you have been hired to set them free. PvP 5-Man with PvE threat added on for spice!

Mordecai and blaquerogue like this.
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

See i like some of your stuff! :)

5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I don't see why we can't have all kinds of PVP.
    Yea some players like
    Faction wars
    Guild wars
    Duels
    Taking over different control points
    AND
    Playing in a open world with good and evil characters.

But if you want to let someone play evil around here you might as well be starting massive PVP fight.

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

We're all gonna train stealth. Hell yeah gurerilla warfare!

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Somone has to PK them tho and its not going to be the PVE crowd, they wont even test the waters!

8. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

PKs always outnumber APKs in MMO-esque games. I've never ever seen a counterexample to this, not in an OPvPO game nor in a consensual PvP only game.

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

I remember UO after statloss was introduced and PK:s were few compared to anti PK:s during that time.

Often it was 1 or 2 PK:s and some blue healers healing them.

With a hard enough consequence for PK:ing i believe any MMO game could have a PK feature without ruining the fun for the rest of the playerbase.

blaquerogue and Mordecai like this.
  10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

That's not true....

11. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Avatar

I thought that's what highschool was for.

I'm not particularly eager to revisit this era again (although I hardly got bullied after I demonstrated how strong Tae Kwon Do had made my legs and how weak most bullies' crotches were...), especially since a lot of PVP antagonists behave like highschoolers. A lot of my UO experience was high-level players preying upon the newcomers... for no particular reason than to be unpleasant, I guess, since there was not much they could gain from looting people who already were almost naked.

I'd prefer the duelist approach, myself. But I understand that people like a PvP danger element to the world. Nevertheless, though, I always fear that the 'LolNewb' attitude that plagued UO will spread. While a threat element helps towards immersion, often the attitude and language of the people behind those threats tend to break immersion.

At least I would have found my newbie defeats bearable and part of a narrative in UO if the PKers had at least made an effort to stay in-character as opposed to pouring showers of leetspeak and worse.

THAT being said, I would definitely participate in PvP when guilds or player known for in-chracter consistency and sportsmanship were involved. Losing is part of the game, but it's pleasurable when it is part of the narrative and the other players keep that narrative going. There's a great difference between a burning, arrogant remark from a dark knight gloating over his fallen enemy... and the mocking of someone who is behaving like a thirteen year old and 'teabagging' his opponent. I guess I prefer the character-to-character insult versus the player-to-player insult. The first one is part of the game and good fun, the second is simply irritating and unsportsmanlike.

Ned888 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.