Everyone's thoughts on forcing PVE players into Open PVP areas along the main storyline.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twofoldsilence, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

AHHHH, I did not know the note were in vaults that were different areas then the ruin or shardfall itself. So really, the only things that one would need to flag pvp for is the spawn of sobrek croc head, and the pvp artifacts that a person who does not want to pvp should not care about anyways. Well, I am done with this thread :) .

Daigoji Gai, eli and Barugon like this.
  2. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Yeah, me too. But I can't leave without making this one last important comment / observation.....

@Lord British - I see absolutely, positively NOTHING Virtuous about trying to kill my fellow players for sport. So how in good conscience can you, the High Lord of Virtue, encourage and reward players who kill other community members for the fun of it? You have mentioned in at least one telethon that stealing is not virtuous and therefore should be avoided if we did not want to pay the consequences of those actions. But killing innocent players is okay? Guess I will have to determine my own 'Code of Virtue' in this game since our Leader of Virtue is now sending mixed messages to his followers. :(

Good Night, all....

Rennik, Cianna, Roxanne and 5 others like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How about adding incentives to do the story? Only if you follow the story then you will be able to find a rare material which is used for crafting special PvP gear. Now THAT would be great idea!
    And it would be fair: We would have incentives to do PVP and incentives to follow the story.
    Oh well, I can already see the red faces of the PvP fans ;)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Addison, Cordelayne, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Most pvp fans are mature enough to accept to get those on vendors :p

Besides I'm here, so they shouldn't complain.

Addison and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

not only prevents, people stop playing completely because they are more or less forced to abandon their "role"

6. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I'm still confused... I thought there were ways to complete the quests without flagging for PvP...I read all the posts here and folks are still somehow under the assumption that you must flag for PvP?

Are we suffering some kind of massive blindness here, or what?

fonsvitae and Mac2 like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There are.
    They are.
    We are.

Sir_Michael, Onyx, Numa and 4 others like this.
  8. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

There are underground connections to five of the vaults so far. There are two left to be put in the game for next release.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I don't want all of those alternate routes to be underground tunnels! How boring is that? Why can't there be ruins, forests or swamps as alternate routes, too?

10. Curt

Curt Avatar

Early on it sounded like only the shardfalls would be PvP flagged scenes how many is flagged now?

Cordelayne and Addison like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Sharfalls and Ruins were always meant to be PvP+ Scenes.
    Blood Bay was added to provide a PvP+ NPC City.

Addison and Womby like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Numa likes this.
  13. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Wait, they're finally implementing the lawn mowers every PoT owner has been griping about for a year??? j/k (mostly)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

They're hoping to change people's minds with their "you can't knock it 'til you've tried it" tactic. I tend to LOVE PvP in games and would say "join us! it's fun!" but considering I'm not a fan of SotA's PvP, I'm very indifferent on the matter.

There are story reasons as to why those zones need to be PvP... but that's not an excuse when you consider that they're the ones writing the entire thing. If it doesn't fit, change it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Depends. Being flagged for PvP in a PvE zone is basically playing in a perpetual PvP game. There are no complaints there until you get PvErs attacking PvPers. In PvP, some of us like to know beforehand what are or aren't threats and being able to react accordingly such as preemptively killing others.

I love being able to engage in PvP when I PvE but when I WANT to PvP, I shouldn't HAVE to do PvE... when I want to PvE, I shouldn't have to do PvP. I'm a strong believer that what a player is doing should perpetuate his/her actions to do more of whenever he/she is doing.

Doing the story should reward you with more stories and doing more PvP should reward you with more PvP. Materials are needed for both "modes" so let them be available for both! There shouldn't be any reasons for us to be like "Oh yeah? Well if you're going to get X, then we want to have Y".

When I PvP in SotA, I know that I'll eventually have to stop. Not because I decided that I had to, but because the game told me I couldn't anymore.

When I PvE in a game and I'm not flagged for PvP (thanks Portalarium for making me not want to ever flag PvP ever again /sarcasm), it's because I want to chill and be absorbed by the world's story and not be bothered by other people. The story stops when the game will eventually force me to PvP when I don't feel like doing it.

If the game won't give me the info that I need to properly do the things that I want my way, then... the game's not doing it right.

This is all very backwards...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Ahuaeynjgkxs, Cordelayne and Addison like this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

"The customer is always right." Of course, this well-known aphorism is not intended to be taken literally. Customers are often wrong. Very much so. What it means is that the customer is your source of livelihood, and if you ignore their wishes then they may turn to a competitor for a more satisfactory experience. This applies to many aspects of game design and is particularly relevant in Shroud of the Avatar, where the developers must walk a tightrope that demands a careful balance between the demands of very disparate player types.

In particular, the use of coercion to get players to do something that they won't enjoy is fraught with peril and should be avoided at all cost.

Even bribes can be seen as punishment. Given two players A and B, bribing player A can be seen as punishing player B. It is wise to tread carefully, especially where emotions run high.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Yep, what that phrase really means is "The customers are allowed to think they are right." a.k.a "Don't argue with the customers."

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

Don't put them in a situation where they feel they have to argue in the first place.

Rennik, Roxanne, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Great follow-up. Customer Service is not one of my strong suits.

Daigoji Gai and Gix like this.
  19. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Wondering about your thoughts on Demon/Dark Souls franchise and spinoffs (e.g. Bloodborne) ... different type of game, granted, but there were forced PVP areas in what starts off feeling like a PVE game.
    It actually led to some exciting and unexpected moments when you suddenly find yourself having to face down another human... again, know it is a different genre entirely, but same principle applies and when done right (as SoTA is doing and Demon/Dark Souls before it) those brief interludes (not like it is gratuitous) can lead to some exciting and unexpected moments in an otherwise scripted affair.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  20. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

That is the very reason Ultima was split to trammel and felluca. I played in fellucca and I settled in trammel. You could not even get into your own home in fellucca when things went south. Been there , done that. An old saying goes, "you can't sit on the fence forever", choose wisely. I had hoped I would not have to make a choice in this game. I will just not do any of the storys. I can live without the storyline or the rewards from doing them.
    I harbor no ill will . I will play the game and enjoy the game with the choices I make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.