Fix your random number generator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randbo, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

Its becoming BEYOND frustrating dealing with your phony as hell random generator.

29% chance of exceptional and NONE IN 20!!!
    This crap happens WAY TOO OFTEN.
    Your pseudo random generator needs to be RESEEDED every use.
    I get tired of failing at mining 3 times in a row with 94% chance. THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE.
    No matter what crap you might say like, it can happen. BULLSHIT.
    NOT IN REAL LIFE.
    Many times i fail 3 in a row mining like that. IT DOESNT HAPPEN.

Please fix this.

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

You had a little higher than 1 in 1000 chance of failing that, the other 999 people who did 20 crafts will thank you.

I play a lot of risk games on a particular site, and with 1000s of games under my belt I've seen some crazy streaks.

Net and Baron Drocis Fondorlatos like this.
  3. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

The odds for this occurrence are probably less than the odds of an individual winning the lotttery, and yet people do win.

Apple had to change their random song algo for their ipod as when people heard the same song three times in a row they claimed it wasn't properly random.

It's perfectly reasonable for a player to have a fail 3 times on a 94% chance. But it doesn't feel right and we are after all irrational humans and not mechanical number crunchers who can compute massive odds on the fly. So perhaps the algo should be weighted to negate repetition.

Net and Montaigne like this.
  4. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

it happens ALOT. the generator is pseudo and they dont reseed it, so you go thru a trough of low numbers. reseeding it each time resets that. its exponentially more random than a list of numbers.

Numa, FrostII and K1000 like this.
  5. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

ITS NOT REASONABLE when it happens ALOT. Those 3x fails happen all the time. It should happen once a month. Not 3 times a day.
    I am saying NO to these runs because ITS NOT RANDOM CHANCE. Its a stupid pseudo random generator thats FAKE RANDOM.

Garfield, FrostII and K1000 like this.
  6. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

Not sure what you mean by "pseudo", either there is a 94% chance of occurrence or there is not.

7. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

100%?

"Computer says no"

8. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

I think an incentive system for crafting failure would be a good idea.

Giving a bonus chance whenever you fail in crafting, so next time you craft after a failure, you've less chance to miss than the last one. I mean, don't you tend to focus and try not to break something when try it for the second time, not to mention the third?
    (e.g. 1st try - 94% of success chance - FAIL
    2nd try - 94% + 1%~3% failure incentive - SUCCESS)

This idea may not be so tempting for the high level GMs of craftmanship, but for the noob like me, something to be considered.

Moussaka, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Lyndoman like this.
  9. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

There is no RANDOMNESS in a computer program, unless its linked to NSA. ahah
    Its a Pseudo random list of numbers that is accessed. They use that because its quicker and you can use the same list over and over.
    You can use the same seed spot to sprinkle a random set of stars in the sky by location and then unblink them using the SAME LIST of random numbers.
    The list changes when you reseed the generator. When reseeded it moves the list pointer somewhere else in the list so the next batch of numbers is different.
    If you reseed on each use, you then randomize the seed point and it makes it more random.
    A pseudo random list of numbers can go thru the low end of numbers as part of a random sequence and you get 3 94% fails in a row
    20 except fails in a row at 29% is more uses of the table that fails.
    ITS NOT LUCK. ITS NOT RANDOM. ITS FAKE RANDOM. Im yelling at them to fix it by making it more random.
    This one in a million chance happening over and over again is UNACCEPTABLE.

Garfield, FrostII and Max Bennis like this.
  10. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

Yes, its possible to fail 3x in a row at 94%. NOT POSSIBLE to do it ONCE EVERY HOUR, tho.
    I win the lottery 10 times a day in this game. Tell me thats normal.

11. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

One more thing. They may use date/time to set the random pointer and that makes it possible to use the SAME SET of random number OVER AND OVER.
    Which means you get that same low number trough series DAILY. THATS NOT RANDOM.

Same set of random numbers daily means same set of 3x 94% fails, HOURLY.

Garfield and Max Bennis like this.
  12. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

Do you have any citations to this is how the algo is constructed or are you stating your opinion.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Ravalox Darkshire likes this.
  13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

When mining 500 5000 ore nodes odds are you will fail 3x in a row at 94%.

Edit: So yes, doing it every hour is unlikely. Granted for me, as long as I'm failing 6 times in 100 I don't care if 3 or even 6 of those times happen in a row if it means I'm going to succeed every other attempt.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Lyndoman likes this.
  14. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

When randomness generates responses such as this thread perhaps it is not the best system for retaining your players.

15. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

If you mine 100 nodes you fail 6 times.
    500 is 30 times.

The odds of 3 of those 30 times happening in a row are less than you think.

It may even happen to someone 5 times in a row. Considering the number of occurrences of this probability I am sure this has happened to someone. And it is human for them to share that fact and say, "The impossible just happened"

16. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I think the issue is more that when you do fail, you fail multiple times in that single stretch. I know when I'm mining, IF I fail the first time, I have probably failed the next hit 1/2 the time. The behavior in which this **** is observed is the ultimate problem here.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Since we know computers can never be fully random, Portalarium should rent out 1,000 monkeys and put them on keyboards. When a random number is required in the game, they get some type of trained cue that tells them to bang on the keyboard. The first number that gets pressed out of these 1,000 keyboards gets sent to the server.

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im pretty sure every other time i go to craft, i manage to hit these redicoulous *random* fail streaks.
    Was funny, i was crafting with 3 guildies, i managed 14 non exceptionals in a row. Other guy had 21, and another had 12. I then got 2, .. so 2/16, then proceeded to have 7 more before i said fck this.

It happens ENTIRELY to often for people to say * its just the odds* .. I really wish i started documenting all my massive *impossible/exaggerated* fail streaks. Its enough that it makes crafting a joke.

Its the same as when you fizzle a spell at 87% chance, yet somehow manage to do it 6-7x in sequence. And this isnt a RARE occurance.. those odds are pretty impressive.

I've never noticed massive streaks like this in ANY other RNG game.

Juvir, Retro, King Robert and 2 others like this.
  19. amarious

amarious Avatar

100% true. After a year I've gotten used to it but it is exactly as you say. I'll have a random fail streak every once in a while. Never really upset me though, it is what it is.

20. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

If it is due to a faulty number generator then it should upset you. A lot of time is spent to craft an item, my time is valuable.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.