Who can delete posts here on forums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Who can delete posts here on the forums? Is it just Berek or can and do people who are community members that I see classified as forums admins?

I also have a request to have the persons name who deleted posts placed in the message we receive so we can see and take issue with that person.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Ive only had deletes from berek.. and tho i find his reasoning weak in some cases, hes always signed the notice?

Dhanan, Fister Magee and fonsvitae like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I don't believe there are any community members that can delete posts.

The author of an OP can delete their post and the thread associated.

The author of a post in a thread can delete their own post.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I haven't seen player moderators for a long while... I think its Berek, or he will deal with the issues at least if its not him.​

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Maybe it was just software issues and the post didn't save. I highly recommend backing everything up......just in case something vanishes.

6. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

To my knowledge,only @Berek can delete post he feels cross the line of the intent of the forums. But I think when he does, he also informs you of it. Also, if you start a thread, you can also have the option to delete the entire thread. When you delete the thread,it will ask you for the reason of the deletion.

Berek likes this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Please feel free to reach out to me directly with any concerns over moderation. Happy to clarify the reasons!

This is correct, though no posts are permanently deleted. We always have a record to look back if there are questions.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

They shoot first, ignore questions later. Anything you might want to bring up should be sent to Berek, or you can e-mail to support@portalarium.com. (Berek, by editing the previous sentence, you have effectively changed the message I'm trying to convey. I appreciate you taking the time to edit the URL but the message was altered in such a way that makes me sound like I suggested that people should contact you directly for any issues ~ I did not)

You can't debate the issue because your post was deleted so you can't prove anything by quoting yourself. They're the only ones capable of looking at the records and they'll exercise their right to scrutinize the entire post due to a sentence or a single word. I have to preemptively save my posts in a text app just in case my writings gets deleted.

I got moderated for saying:
    to someone once... "We cannot allow users to be abusive, overly aggressive, or to "troll"."

He either doesn't do it frequently enough or someone else has the ability to delete posts.

I PMed Berek at one point because one of my posts was deleted (took a good 30mins-to-1h to write), and I saw that he was the only one from Portalarium that was visibly online.

Really? So what happened to my PM from the 10th of july?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Dhanan and Fister Magee like this.
  9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Me. I deleted your post because it is Tuesday. If you want to have a discussion about it you will have to wait until Thursday.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There are still forum moderators.
    Moderation happens even when there are no Portalarium staff around.

Back during FireLotus reign you used to get your post quoted, the rule violated referenced and all of it sent as a PM.

I can still check out how and why FireLotus moderated me back in 2014 if I want.

The concept of quoting and citing the rule was smart since one could expect us to learn from that.
    Using PMs was a mistake because of the amount of unwarranted abuse given to volunteers and staff which made that situation unsustainable. Not to mention all the vendettas when moderators posted out of official capacity.
    Also the number of escalations to devs and Dallas was kind of insane.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would appreciate a return to this behavior.

Blackghost likes this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I would absolutely be a fan of a change that included you PM'ing the original message back to the person deleted, or the post being shown on request.

I wont dispute moderation here yet again, but there was a few i feel i violated no rule, but was not willing to re write my post because of one off comment or the report train being sensitive that day. I know i requested it in PM one time, but itd be nice if there was a way to get a copy or something auto emailed or pm'd or something instead of having to PM you and wait / hope for a response ( this was not a shot at you, i know you got your hands full) .

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

But you didn't answer the question so Ill clarify.

Do non-Portalarium employees have the ability to delete message? If you say that only Portalarium can delete messages I am 100% ok with it and need not go further. If you say that non-Portalarium employees have the ability to delete messages then I want to have a serious discussion about it and would love to see the people posted who have this access to I can see their forum names. One reason is that I may be over critical of you (Berek) for doing somethings that you may not be doing.

14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As others have said, I enjoyed having deleted posts visible in the thread to the original poster (when FireLotus was here). This allowed people to see what they did wrong and remember the context. Currently when a post is deleted it can be difficult to even know which post it was (if you're writing a lot of posts).

I have also noticed that the messages in PM's for deleted posts often appear that the person deleting the posts may believe that the original poster knows who is deleting the post. Hypothetically, if a mystery person other than Berek were to delete one of my posts and PM me a message that said "Post Deleted: Three years ago we had a conversation where I specifically said not to make posts like that." I would have to guess who was writing the PM, what we had previously discussed, or which post was deleted that this person was referring to. That's the hypothetical use case I would like to avoid in the future.

It would be great if there was:

1. clear ownership of who moderated someone.
    2. what they were moderated for, including being able to trace back to what exactly was moderated.

I understand that moderating these forums is very difficult and time consuming. I also understand that there is a small fraction of forum posters that use any rule set or available information to twist the narrative around so that it appears their moderation was unwarranted. But for those people (such as myself) looking to avoid moderation, the lack of general information can result in frustration that I believe would be avoidable if the moderation communication used slightly more robust feedback.

Overall, I think this lack of communication is likely a byproduct of a small development team forced to wear multiple hats (such as "forum moderator"), which is understandable during development, but less so once we launch the game and we have a larger population. That is why I hope you're considering making changes to support the 24/7 operational reality of an MMO by taking the development team out of customer service and community management functions and hire/using trusted volunteers to bridge the gaps.

15. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Well we have to keep posting crap sometimes, otherwise @Berek would have no job :p

Sir_Hemlock and Barugon like this.
  16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Absolutely, we can do this.

Only Portalarium employees can completely remove a message from the forums visibility at this time.

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

How many other people are moderates, and can we have the names? Also, I would really love, as many people have suggested in this thread, to have the moderation sent in a pm with the post that was moderated and the forum rule that was broken.

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@Berek Question: can't a community member delete their own post as long as they started it to begin with?

19. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Everyone can delete posts here on the forums just say something slightly non PC and boom posts deleted and thread locked. Have to admit though thread locking has seemed to go down a bit but deleted posts is still record breaking.

20. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

From my time working with Xenforo at Stratics and other sites, I also know that sometimes a post is removed because it quotes an offending post. In this case, the offending post gets a message, but not each subsequent quoted post in the chain. Sometimes you did nothing wrong, you just quoted someone who quoted someone who broke the rules... but if those subsequent posts aren't also removed, then the quoted problem remains.

Spoon, Retlaw and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.