Who can delete posts here on forums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

ya, they do not remove the quoted posts from what I know anymore. So it is rather redundant to moderate the one post if it is still visible in many other posts.

2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I recently had a post deleted due to my response to someone who insinuated that because I disagreed with there opinion on the UI, that I thought that it was ok to ship the game as it was. They left a post stating "You are absolutely right there is nothing wrong with the game. Ship it! :rolleyes:" and I responded to this stating that I'm perfectly fine with legitimate complaints, and I am not trying to shout you down, dismiss your complaints, or say that the game is great and there is nothing to see here. So, my response , to what I found offensive to me, was deleted. Yet, the comment of "You are absolutely right there is nothing wrong with the game. Ship it! :rolleyes:", a taunt to me, was left intact. Not sure who made that decision, but I was slightly offended by it. However, I'm not that petty that I'm going to make an issue of it. If staff feels that I was out of line, so be it. It is their forums, their rules, but consistency would be nice. I was not notified as to who complained or removed my post. That isn't really an issue for me though. If something I write is offensive then remove it. Here is the message I received when my message was removed less than 24hrs ago:

"Your post in the thread basic failures of UI design made me quit 2 hours in :/ was deleted. Reason: Removing post due to personal response. Take that part in PM, it doesn't need to be said in the forums."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    fonsvitae likes this.
  3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Id like this. As ive lost some posts written days previously that were removed for being off topic, and its a huuuge pain in ass to go back and re write just because a thread got derailed lol

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ok cool! Thank you!

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

unfortunately there is a very loud and rising complaint base about this and we have to go to other forums to discuss it and our opinions on why its happening which is not good for this company. I've actually now felt forced off these forums which lands me on other forums where I dont have to be as politically correct about my opinion which is also bad for this company.

Fister Magee and fonsvitae like this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Personally i see less controversial threads being made. There was always a lot of vocal people on the forum (yourself probly included in this. Duke Avery. Vallo, etc etc ) Who would bring up key issues / complaints, and try to have constructive or at least some type of productive conversation about something. And it always led to people on one side, people on the other and then obvious trolling or white knighting or w.e w.e where the threads lead to being *derailed* due to it being usually a complex issue.

Honestly the last few weeks , even month or so i find less and less of these key topics even being brought up. So i think that is a huge reason why moderation seems lessend lately, as there hasnt really been those .. lets call them excited conversations. Lol.

Hell, even BDF 's amount of posts (hes usually on the opposite end of the argument then i am) seem to be slowed down or absent. And **** i even agreed with him on his last one, though it was minor issue IMO compared to ones in previous releases.

Lately the front page has been stuff im not interested about, or not really about core issues/mechanics imo.

7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

In most areas of the forums, yes they can.

8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We do remove quotes when we identify them. Those posters will also be notified of the quote removal (if it makes sense, the rest of their post is left untouched).

9. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I think what @Berek is trying to do is keep the personal stuff from being forum material. Now I am my own person and my thoughts and opinions are my own,but there is nothing I could/would say on any other forum that would vary in any way to what I would post here. I'm not certain of what you deem as "politically correct" on these forums,if that is being critical of game features or critical of individuals. But I have been known to take a jab at what I think is a post only there to draw a reaction from part of the community in a negative way. And sometimes my sarcasm runs pretty deep on those threads. :)

10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

If your post wasn't an attack on another player or group of players and it was moderated, just PM Berek, ask why if no reason was given, and post it in a way that doesn't trigger a moderation.

Vague ominous statements and public forum threads (we ALL know that Berek heads up moderation, so just PM him) don't really accomplish anything.

I personally act with political correctness in most things that I do, so I don't have trouble avoiding personal attacks/discrimination - but when I have gone over the line, and been moderated, I either walk away or I repost my thoughts in a different way IF I felt they were worth reposting.

Probably a lot of the time that I post in a hot button topic I just delete it by the end anyways - I'm contrary and sometimes realize that I'm fighting just to fight and that it's not that important that everyone share my opinion or viewpoint. Probably should have deleted this post too.

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It is just a goofy coincidence that I am joining this post again on Thursday. I am not a moderator. No one in their right mind would give me even the smallest of responsibilities.
    Maybe it was in bad taste to make fun of how badly we behave on these forums.

Look behind you, there's the line, Caska.
    Berek

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Berek like this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

As far as I can tell it's just Weins and Berek that can delete people's posts.

Weins has been using a loophole to grief people in the forums by deleting entire threads that he has created. He's been doing it for as long as I've been here. ;)

13. Net

Net Avatar

I wonder whether this can be fixed in these forums, I was using different forums where anyone could delete their post, but they could delete their thread only when there were no replies. Only moderators could lock/hide threads with replies in them. I would very much prefer that, because some discussions can be quite interesting but I do not want to start my own thread everytime OP decides that most people did not get his point and deletes the thread.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Adam Crow like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Adam Crow

Anyone can delete a topic that they created. It is just that some individuals has it as SOP.
    :p
    Where the classic is to create a poll and delete it when it goes in the wrong direction. That way you can reword and repost until it does go the way you want.

Where we do see the most of self deletion is over in the marketplace where people use that and alts to bypass the bump rules.

@Net
    In xenforo being allowed to delete your topics is just a setting checkbox which @Berek could change whenever, if he so wish.

Adam Crow and Net like this.
  15. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

interestingly i know a couple of responses i put in got deleted and theres zero trace of them that I can find so I cant even see if a reason was given

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah, but I like abilitiy to delete my own thread if it has no replies, it is nice when I report bug twice or in the wrong subforum, do not have to bother moderators so much:D

Not sure about marketplace though, I think it is still handy to delete your threads there, but it should be used for threads that are no longer relevant rather than bypassing the rules.

Cordelayne and Alley Oop like this.
  17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I have deleted my own threads in the marketplace after a auction had completed withing 2-3 days afterward. Some people don't like it,because they look for possible sales amounts to see what they might expect for their sale. But as Berek says,the forum post are really deleted,just not shown in the forums anymore.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Or, when the item is sold.

19. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

It would be nice to have more transparency on why posts were removed, but I trust Berek and his judgement!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.