Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Craftable low end items do not need to be in the loot table . . .

Discussion in 'Release 47 Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This was supposed to be a game that had a player driven / generated economy.

There are some players who work very hard (it is very difficult and time consuming) to be a supplier of items and strive to become a notable vendor.

They spend a lot (A L O T) of time and effort to resource their wares and make a pittance.

[​IMG]

Now these items show up in loot??? I was in the Shrekk area killing a few Kobolds / Shocker Monkies / and a Watcher and was not there long. I got all these items and they are nice to get BUT ? ? ?

Really need to take a long look at how things like this happen, then look hard as to the why, then dig deeper and see how much they would negatively affect players and the game as a whole. This is going to outright kill the market anyone has for scrolls, repair deeds, . . . . .

If the goal is to just can low end items as a viable (they probably are a lost leader as of now) item then the fix should be to make the resources viable and not just give the items away.

Also if that is the result, it once again rewards those that farm the high end critters and shuns the low / middle level player. Really need to stop this pattern of development.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I very much like getting those items as loot.

3. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I'm going to first assume you're talking about the scrolls because nobody can actually craft a repair kit cheaper than what the vendor sells them for.

Scrolls are not a good example of meaningful crafting. You can get all the materials you need to craft scrolls from vendors without any real effort and then sit and make them yourself in 5 minutes cheaper than obviously what anyone is selling them for. Putting them as loot is a great thing because you're saved from that menial and dull task. I will say it again, we do NOT need to encourage this kind of crafting.

4. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

What you loot from mobs should represent what it makes sense for them to be carrying as living creatures going about their routine, not resource nodes in an economic system. I am looking forward to getting all kinds of mundane things from looting :)

Black Tortoise and Weins201 like this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

Loot needs to exist to keep the killing as an interesting (and worthwhile) venture. If we can't get basic stuff, what else do you suggest we get? Do you really think people will accept getting boring rusty daggers just to keep the crafters happy? I don't.

You know what else kills the market? Having to go from player vendor to player vendor and not seeing anything worth buying... because now I'm convinced that the player market is just a bunch of junk and not worth my time or gold. If I had to rely on crafters so that I may do my adventuring and people only care about the sellers and not the buyers, adventurers might as well go play another game entirely.

It's not so much that the game needs to facilitate finding and buying items; it's that sellers need to make their shops more appealing and less in-your-face for the customers. If your shop is surrounded by other shops that are filled with sign-post vendors on their front lawn (showing that they care more about getting their stuff sold than they do about doing business with people), I'm sorry but people like me avoid these areas. It's an eye-sore.

If you have good wares, reasonable prices and you make sure that you're not pissing off your potential costumers with your vendor (location, stock, pricing and quantity), your customers will stay. @Black Tortoise 's shop, for example, is like THE place (and only place) I go to when I want to buy food. He also sells other things and I buy them whenever there's something I find interesting as an impulse purchase.

He offers something that I want that no one else seemed to have bothered to offer: Food in small stacks.

One thing I will say is that Blacksmith Repair Kits drop far too often for my tastes... I guess it's because it potentially repairs both armour and weapons but I barely get any Tailor Repair Kits in comparison. I love getting healing potions because I consume a lot of them and looting them keeps the adventuring going; it's like getting a Health Globe in Diablo 3.

As a non-crafter, I love the idea of getting some low-end craftable items.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

So what we see here is two points of view ;

1st is the player who sees each and everything as something they could use to create items and use them to make items to sell even if just for pennies.

2nd is the player who wants to get everything they need from loot so they do not have to buy anything.

Now the game was designed to facilitate a player generated economy, but all that is becoming of this desired concept is items that only a few players can farm. I am not talking about ORE I am talking about all the items created OTHER than metals. Metals are the ONLY resource in the game that is viable.

We also have the artifact type items that are specialized . . . .

So now any normal player really can do nothing but play the game to grind levels since their chance at getting resources that can be used to make viable items are lost.

I am sorry if this is counter to your concept but I thought it was the idea the game wanted? Perhaps this goes in line with more reasons why player are getting bad tastes in their mouths.

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

1st is the player who has this idea that he/she can be THE CRAFTER among all the other players who believe themselves to be the same way. They complain whenever they have a hard time doing business. That player wants his/her time and effort to matter.

2nd is the player who doesn’t want to deal with the first. That player wants his/her time and effort to be rewarding and fun. In a game where all items can be crafted, what is he or she supposed to loot? Ingredients he/she doesn’t care about?

3rd is the player who crafts and accommodates the 2nd. To which the 2nd is most loyal to.

4th is the player who’s indifferent because he/she doesn’t see a problem either way.

P.S. I don’t think getting some crafted items as loot (much less low-end items) counts as “not having to buy anything.” I can either craft the item, buy it or MAYBE get it as loot. That choice should be mine to make.

Barugon likes this.
  8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

considering I craft all that minor stuff for myself... as I got tired for searching high and low for reason able vendors. I don't see that stuff dropping being all that damaging to the economy... now if you start dropping gear BETTER than people can craft... food better than people can craft (which I never buy anyway) etc... then you have a problem. But most people prices on scrolls was high enough that they sat on vendors unless a passerby happened to need one. They are much cheaper to make yourself. So them dropping now saves people time and ingredients to focus on other things...

Like Blades obsession with poison potions... Iz needz MOAR!

9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Its all a matter of perspective. I do work very hard and strive to be a notable vendor. I think, when youre in my town, you would likely note me, so then "status achieved" :).

I mostly craft a place to be. You can also buy some food (thx for keeping my kitchen running, @Gix), you can craft stuff, you can check out the telescope, you can just read a book or simply sit. Its a work in progress, just like the game world it lives in.

I completely accept that the vendor economy is a major challenge right now, and that it will be until there is a new stream of players "post launch". So rather than do all that boring work (being "competative" that is), I just decorate and make my "place to be" pretty. My vendor is a person that lives on premise, youll soon be able to see his room and read his diary and learn of his zany adventures. I aim to rent the rooms in the basement for super cheap, just because I want people hanging around, so it seems more like a place to be. Once I resume playing SotA "full time" again, Ill have more vendors there, so it feels like there is some waitstaff or entertainers around.

Itl be cool if I make some money, but Im more concerned with creating some degree of experience for players passing through, or living in, the town I live in. So far I think my vendoring is a success, and I have survived unscathed by any such market scandal as craftables dropping on mobs. Itl never taste as good as a Garlic Chicken enjoyed on the roof deck of Ye Olde Storm Shadow Tavern.

Gix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.