You lost me - feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The endless one class skillsystem
    (weapon, armor, all magic) killed all my fun playing.
    Many mechanics drive people apart, make groupplay bad.
    The only thing to do is spot camping/ grinding/ Boss spawn switchmode farming.

Maybe those who have running guilds and friends in the game have fun socializing or just grinding, but as a german player there is no community.

There is no Roleplaying, because there are no roles or archetypes.

There are no incentives other than socializing / roleplaying or grinding the endless one class skill progression.

I tried to adapt and began to skill fire (as a watermage :confused:) to completely loose the identification with my character.
    I also recognized what it means if i know need to skill a weapon and all the other magic trees. More grind!

I dont like to be mentored the way your game want me to be mentored.
    I dont dislike mentoring, i liked features like that in V:SoH what had carawaning and mentoring, but that was completely different. Mentor scaled down to mentees level.
    I dont want to be pulled and rushed through content!

My Char has tried many things to overcome or to do compromises, but now i feel... lost, abandoned, forced to be something else than the Avatar i want to be.

Classless to me means, build your own class from all the possibilities.

It should be enough to pick a handfull of trees i want to play with and evolve in.
    But because of the limitless system and competition and how the game (pve) is designed this is called self-restriction and blaming yourself.

The system prevents or makes it difficult to have fun and challenging group play and role play.

It seems the game is for solo playing grind lovers and/ or people who like second life style socializing and in no way roleplaying in and with the environment.

I thought and expected something else, especially from LB, but at this moment i'm not able to have fun again and before i was messed up gamemechanics wise (self-restriction to build an Archetype out of the skill system), after trying to adapt to the system and skilling more and more, adding trees that do not correspond with my archetype of character i'm messed up with identification with my character and dont want to play him.

I thinked about of alternative concepts, maybe rename myself doing another character concept, but while thinking over i recognized it all doesnt matter and there is nothing diverse.
    All characters are Mage Hybrids of all Schools, need a weapon to be able to fight all content and need to cherrypick skills, grind everything as high as possible and at best have various equipment sets that fits the actual deck.

The deck doesnt limit at all, too many things influence even if all say the deck limits you in what you are in a Situation.
    It limits, but the best example is that highlevel swordfighter who dont use magic, but has skilled all magic for it's passive effects.

These Facts combined with low population, bad press and reputation and very small hope for a success and more players in general
    - I dont care for more players only, players who like limitless progression, grind, beeing all and everything, switch decks including gear being Tanks, Healers, Archers, Mages of whatever with one klick while in combat (totally not RP and immersive)..., what is totally not playing a RPG, but only working on RPG Elements while watching netflix or whatever (as it was many times confirmed) -
    but roleplayers who enlive gameworlds as unique and diverse characters!

This is, although your (very expensive) housing and emotes etc... are great and one of the best i can imagine, not enough to get more players that care about lore, enlive the world etc...

This is a feedback!

If someone want to disagree or discuss, please notice i am interested in your opinion, but it only will end up like my first meantime-feedback thread.
    What was an answer in a discussion, but seperate posted by me to not derail the discussion (how to solo Dragons).

I await this feedback to be ripped off again and be closed.

Roleplayers just arent welcome in Roleplaygames and developers in the last decades create nothing for roleplayers, but only for min max powergamers. This is true for almost every so called Roleplay game i'm aware of and you can easily know that most players dont care and it is allways only about max level, max damage, max xp, max this, max that.

I'm done with working your RPG Elements and go back playing something more worthwile and fun without thinking about efficiency.

Frisbee with my dogs or tabletops with my daughter, music with my drums or something like that.

Most games created the last 20 years show that most players dont play, they just substitute with achievements.

Playing for playing itself without rewards that make you feel higher, faster, further dont exists anymore.

Effort=Reward in combination with playing is regrettable and just a meritocracy system.

I am ok with something to do to get somewhere more difficult and beeing rewarded to master the challenge.
    But if mastering the challenge means grind for thousands of hours and do repetetive, immersionbreaking exploits or dull spawn camping and switchmode bosskilling then my understanding of playing a Roleplaygame is more different than you ever can imagine.

Troll on.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

At this point, I'm waiting for the further patches but I mostly agree with @Stundorn, with almost everything he said.

I have no problem with limitless progression, through, as long as soft caps have a real meaning, which is not the case currently as I found out lastly.

But a game where everyone has to be a hybrid in order to stay competitive is a game where people can't feel free to play the way they want.

It's a game where everyone try to pick up the best build until everyone seems alike. Just look at the most experienced characters to get convinced about that.

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I am more connected to Rolemaster than to D&D.
    What is your characters role/ archetype?
    Have you tried "endgame content" (if you want to call it that way)?
    There is a difference in EU and US roleplaying, hard to explain, but it's significant. I think this is one source of my issue.
    I want to rp with the environment and gamemechanics. I cannot RP a credible watermage when need to skill fire.
    I can change my concept and say mage = all schools.
    But i dislike for 2 or even 3 things.
    1st then all Mages are the same there is no my school is better than your school RP, no debates about death and life, sun and moon etc...
    No mage battles from opposing schools etc... Like the 2h swordfighter against the axe and shield skirmisher.
    2nd its too much to grind and only grind.
    If someone want to take me to the mage room and spawncamp or kill 20 times the dragon with mode switching i'm done and even dont think about to wait or sell my stuff, i sell it instantly if that is playing the game.
    3rd i recognized that as a mage only you cannot damage bosses/ dragons.
    Trolls are fire /sun only but better use a weapon too. Staffs are unbalanced for ever against 2 wands. First it was shield and wand, then it was chainmail, now it's everybody goes for blades because of the crits.
    No, maybe when things get balanced and overworked.
    But i doubt they can and want to do it.
    If you have fun and can identify with your Avatar then have fun, i lost identification and fun.
    Maybe in some years of development.
    But honestly, i dont believe anymore, sorry.

Edit: and you are a completely different type of gamer, you encourage people to buy gold.
    Sorry but not my game.

4. Gerugon

Gerugon Avatar

Check out my twitch or youtube channel (both gerugon), im starting a guild with my fanbase tomorrow 8pm german time. Maybe teaching new players the ropes might break your tupor =D

Twitch.tv/gerugon
    Youtube.com/gerugon

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  5. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Don't bite lad, there's no point!

Mykll likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Honestly thank you, but what should i teach them?
    That they need to skill all magic and that i dislike it?
    Should i help them killing t5 mobs to get them higher level more quick (mentoring aka pull and rush others through non existing but grind content)?

No, i didnt level that much higher than 76 now to prevent to be to strong with new Members.
    I also run or tried to run a guild like many germans did. See Drachenfels / Drachenbund where i'm banned or at least have only few, inactive contacts left.

Good Luck with your project.

If there are roleplayers who are allways inCharacter than maybe contact me, but The Seidmen of Gladsheim has a deep crisis about magic in New Britannia and i doubt there will be the changes that i need to identify with my character again, if ever possible, and have fun playing him.

3devious and Mykll like this.
  7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Feedback on an unfinished game is uncalled for? are you high?
    feedback is very much called for and there are plenty who agree with @Stundorn, me included..duh

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Going to have to take exception to this statement. True roleplay does not come from game mechanics. It always has and always will come from the player. Unfortunately, RPers are always in the minority in multiplayer games. You really have to actively seek them out.

BTW: Bowen is now 71 and still doesn't rely on magic. He doesn't even use a light spell or healing. It is a pain? Sure. Is it self restricting? Yes but who cares? I like my playing my character as he was meant to be. Does it make it harder? Of course it does.. but again.. who cares? It's my game, I'll play it the way I want to. I'm not competing with other players to have fun.. I don't need to complete to have fun.

You could say that the pressure to learn all skills is also self inflicted.

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Dont understand your comment.
    But anyway.

Sempiternal Dragon likes this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Archetypes won't exist in this game until NPC towns develop their own culture & biases. For example, a town that was overrun by the undead in the past won't be inclined to welcome death mages or anyone who "stinks" of death magic because of this past trauma.

Another example would be that Port towns would tend to welcome air & water mages more because the ships on which their trade depends on these skillsets for safe & successful travels.

And libraries will definitely be wary of fire mages - for obvious reasons :)

11. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Don't let your thread get derailed by getting drawn into an argument :). Good feedback for what it's worth.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

But the basic gist of the feedback is... there are still a lot of imbalances and content that needs to go in. True enough.. but the game is still in alpha. This needs to be understood and expected. There's no point in losing hope at this stage for these reasons.

If the testing phase isn't for you then it isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that either. What gets me is when someone convinces themselves there is no hope when there's no real reason to think like that. Balance, polish and content happen at the end.. and we're only just getting there. Lot of stuff still to go in.

Same can be said of RP with other players. Plenty of it out there if you look for it.. but we have an intentionally low population because we're still in alpha. So of course there isn't going to be as much of it as potentially after launch. It should be expected and understood. There's little point in being discouraged during development.

13. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

If it's constructive, sure! I just see complaints with no solutions, though. :(

Mac2 likes this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Then be happy your character concept use a weapon, because a pure Mage is messed up and a specialized mage even more.
    Are there mobs that are resistant to physical damage? Why are earth and air elementals aren't?

You said it clear and thats the difference, you undock RP from gamemechanics and you dont want or need to compete.

RP becomes interesting when competition is part of, remember DAoC realm conflicts for example.

I also can renounce that and have fun with likeminded people and play in our private RP bubble, but i wanted to create that bubble and there is more or less no interest at my playtime with my time to play at all.

You are right in some way, but to me this is the result of many factors and to have no existent likeminded germanspeaking roleplayers around is also part of it.

I wish you having fun with what you have, to me it's just not enough and too many compromises need to be done.
    I did it and end up loosing identification with my char.
    Imagine this, you are allways playing alone people hate and ban you because you liked death decay as a feature, then your "class" hits the wall and going further ask you to get rid of your concept, you need to do magic or you stuck, you can now fight what you are able to fight, but no RPvP for you (imagine you want to integrale it), no bosses for you because the way you fight is not possible.
    Just think of Dragons are only beatable with magic and immune against all physical damage. The only mage viable in a group then is a healer type.
    And i was a healer when i started the game quickly recognizing everybody (except you maybe) heals oneself very efficient.

The whole concept is not for me.
    After trying and doing compromises i did the last one i didnt want to make all the time - skill fire and maybe death also - and lost identification.

Think of being stucked and then use Magic and loose your chars individuality.
    And think of beeing alone in another timezone with nobody who want to roleplay.
    Would you play further?

15. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Not everyone is a programmer or genious game maker some us just know what we find fun or bad about a game, this post higlights the biggest problem I have woth shroud.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

My solutions are unpopular and well known.
    Tree cap, choose 10 out of all including harvesting, refining, Producing
    Hard caps
    Diametral effects back
    Have dependencies within all players to have economy and no one self sufficient.
    Make SP offline the mode to skill all and do what you like but restrict online modes.
    Make gear less important / strong
    Make grind less neccessary.

I didnt want the thread to be closed that quick, but now as i said things like this again it sure will get closed soon.

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Portalarium and Travian should read and learn from this... A lot of that came from weak or hopefully just unfinished game design.

The game has serious technical issues at the moment which of course need to be solved first :(

18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It is always the same people trying to shut criticism down :) Don't eat the bait. Ignore them.

Mykll and Stundorn like this.
  19. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I can appreciate that, but you can't JUST complain. The devs have always welcomed player ideas and solutions to problems. Dig a little deeper and help express your particular issues and offer some insight on how you think best to correct them. It isn't hard!

Bankee and Mac2 like this.
  20. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

There are people like me too... who disagree with Stundorn's conclusions... but agree that his feedback is indeed very called for and appreciated.

I still haven't experienced the game that they're playing... as in my time I have not been forced to take any skills I didn't choose to.. and I can certainly RP anything I want to regardless of the classless system.. because RP'ing doesn't care what my in-game/out-of-game skills/abilities are....

I may not agree with Stundorn.. but I respect his opinion. I hope that they find a game that they want to be a part of.. like I have here with SotA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.