not much funds where raised from telathon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dorkish, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

how about extending the sale from about 9am your time till midnight we can always check the website for whats on sale till the telathon starts was hoping we'd at least make to the icy weapons :(

Thwip likes this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I feel they don't like making money... if they extend the discounts and add them to the telethon goal... it will encourage even those players who were not able to watch the telethon because of time difference to spend money or buy stuff from the add-on store... thus, making them more money... I think... but who knows... maybe they make more money by not extending the sale...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Gia2, Paladin Michael and StarLord like this.
  3. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

I thought we had until midnight to make our purchases?

I have friends that barely made it to the telethon because of work. I think it would be great to have until midnight to get in.

Chatele likes this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This Telethon happened JUST after the holidays. To many people are hurting in their wallet.

Next month's telethon, might be a spot better.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Did they not mention it during the telethon? So long as you spend your $5 by midnight it counts. At least it has for the past few. Only applies for the stretch goals if it's during the actual telethon though. Not sure why that is.

6. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I simply did not find the rewards all that thrilling. Nothing that really made me think "oh wow I must have this!". And not much I wanted from the add-on store either... My houses are decorated, and since clothing has so many issues and barely ever layers nicely, I'll wait with buying more outfits until this is fixed.

K1000, Spoon, Chatele and 4 others like this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Maybe time to change it NOW!

what was the total and we maybe hit another stretchgoal?

@DarkStarr

8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

January telethons are a low funds month, post-christmas, pre-tax time, winter holidays.

Our worst telethon was 2016 January where they made just over 25k across 12 hours.

I'd have loved to reach the weapons but I was quite happy just reaching the snow-dragon, always sucks to be close to another goal though. I really wanted that Ice Dragon from last telethon where we were less than 5k away from the 80k.

9. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I know there are time constraints and such.....but having it that early in the day for some alot of folks miss out on the telethon all together. So West coast players and folks in other time zones miss out cause they dont get home from work early and such. I know due to my schedule i miss the first hour of the telethon. So maybe chainging the time length might help. As for items on sale they dont leave those items on long cause they dont have time to leave them up long enough for folks to partake in them. And yes of course on the heels of the holiday season some folks just dont have the funds to buy anything.....points to self. LOL. They might need to rethink the time frame of the telethons again.

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Portalarium can get a lot of things with 45k - that's a good bit of someone's work this year they can pay for :) And we all got to hang out, get some focused deep dives, Q&A and devchat in discord to some degree plus win prizes.

11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

The timing of the telethon is not great for me in the UK. Perhaps they should extend the deadline to something like 48 hours to help encompass "the rest of the world".

Would also agree that post Christmas accounts for the dip in takings though would also say that the telethon item offerings generally dont inspire me that much.

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre and Mapper like this.
  12. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

Says this on the main page. Note sure the $$ amount has been update yet

Thwip likes this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Another thing that will help is new blood in the game, most of the current player base and 80% or more of the people who are always watching and participating in the telethon via discord and twitch have many of the big ticket items already like bundles and pot upgrades etc.

New players that need or want this stuff will really drive the telethons in the future. My $5 $10 $15 depending on the quality of the avail rares dont really add alot to the pot. That of cource would be very diffrent if a million people dropped $5 :) .

Solazur, Sara Dreygon, Ronni and 3 others like this.
  14. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Hmmm thanks for that quote. That makes it sound like anything spent until midnight counts towards the total!
    But the devs clearly stated on the live stream that there were only "a few minutes left" etc. to hit the next goal, and at the end of the stream, that we did not make it to the Ice Chess Set.

I still wonder which way it is??? :confused:

Maybe it's a good question for the next telethon... :p

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Money spend during telethon is the only money that counts for the goals.

You have until midnight to get any rewards earned.

*personally I think midnight should be cutoff for both.

Senjut, dorkish, Solazur and 7 others like this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

While the timing of the telethon does hurt, I think we might have raised more if we'd gone to a different theme. This was the third ice/snow/frost reward theme in a row. I think it would have been cool to have the ice chess set, but they could add a craftable glass version and I'd be happy too.

This was also coupled with no new add-on store items in the last week or so, and no expirations, so there was no real urgency to buy. They just premiered the log cabin, so they could have added it to the store with a "delivery date" of R50 so they at least had something new.

Finally, we seem to be stuck in our ways for when telethons occur. Always 3pm. That excludes a lot of people from participating; many are still at work and can't watch, and our overseas community is asleep. Varying the telethon time would help this enormously.

17. Qwark

Qwark Avatar

Remember when these telethons used to be once a quarter? We would raise 80K or so, maybe as much as 120K. But now they are once a month, so doing 45K a month x3 is just as much as they used to make. I dont think anyone should be worried.

18. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

I too would like the times changed. It starts 9pm in the UK, so if I miss that, like I did last night, having it extended to midnight is 6am so not very helpful for us, 24 hours would be nice.

19. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I personally dislike the current telethon format for the following reasons:

Short Duration:
    • I was at work for the first 3 hours of the telethon
    • It seems to me that the current format excludes a lot of people with other time commitments (jobs) in various times zones
    • Sure I can spend $5 up until midnight, but my money wont help to reach the goals and I miss out on the sales.

Random Wheel of Sales:
    • The frustration of the short duration is made even worse by the random wheel of sales
    • I get home with only an hour left in the telethon and if the item I want went on sale before I get home then I'm just out of luck
    • What is the advantage of the current random sale selection process?
      • The only purpose I can see is to "encourage" people to actually watch the entire thing live so they can see when the item they want goes on sale.
      • Do you really want to exclude people that don't have 4 hours to kill watching these things live?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    K1000, Elwyn, Gorthyn and 5 others like this.
  20. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

well well my internetconnection was cut and only 3 hours ago it went online again, so no telethon for me :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.