Fishing Updates that use time of day/weather

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Arkah EMPstrike, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Gar: Can only be caught at midnight and when it isn't raining, requires min 60 skill
    (Used with cooking skill lvl 60 to create food that gives health regen and +%aggro bonusfor 4 hours)

Alligator Gar: Very rare, only caught during summer, when it isn't raining, requires min 80 skill
    (Used with cookign skill lvl 70 to create food that gives health regen, +%bigaggro, negative effect of +15% reagent use for 8 hours)

Blue Crab: Rare, chance Increases during rain and during summer. min 60 skill
    (Used with cooking skill lvl 60 to create food that gives focus regen and +3 intelligence for 1 hour)

Giant Mud Crab: Very rare, Caught in autumn only, Chances increase when its raining. min 80 skill
    (Used with cooking to create food that gives +big Focus regen, +earth and water attunment, and negative effect of -fire and air resistance and -fire and air attunment for 8 hours)

Fugu Fish: Very Rare, caught only in spring. min 80 skill
    (Cooking skill lvl 70 creates food that gives +5 int -%big aggro, and negative -1.5 health regeneration for 4 hours)

Catfish: Common, Only caught at dawn and dusk. min 50 skill
    (cooking requires 40 skill and produces +focus and +health regen, +2 int -5 dex -5 strength for 1 hour)

Blue Catfish: Rare, caught onyl at dawn or dusk. Chance decreases when raining. min 70 skill
    (Cooking requires 60 skill and produces +5 int -10 dex -10 strength for 2 hours)

If anyone can come up with other fish + food from fish that could be added without changing the current system please feel free to add

@Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British @Winfield @Sean Silverfoot

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I love the idea of having more variety in fishing and using time of day / location to vary fishing spots seems a sensible and needed feature.

I'm not sure on your recipe recommendations though ...we certainly need more int food (and by more I mean "some" that doesn't require a 1% boss drop also used for bone armor to make, lol) but those are some pretty hefty negatives - the existing str/dex foods have no such penalties (and don't require any rare resources at all)- they simply aren't necessary. I'd caution against adding stuff that will never get bothered with / used / eaten. We've kinda already seen this with the addition of bacon which, while exciting and cool, is uneconomical and pointless. So, the +3 int food, yes absolutely we need it. The +5 int with the -10 str/dex, I can tell you now, I'd probably never make it, or eat it, and it would be more ingredients sat in a box.

At the end of the day if more recipes are to be added, they need to be things people will actually make, and eat. As it stands currently with the existing bass/trout/salmon/fish recipes, not a single one of the things you can cook with 'fished ingredients' is something "worth eating." While I think sure, we need more exotic fish, if its going to be rare then the resulting craftable item should actually be worth making.

You want to create an industry for fishing, and a demand for fished items, they have to be worth doing something with other than mounting on the wall. If you added int food equivalent to the obsidian bear/wolf stuff, using fish with a certain rarity, I think that would be successful. You have to consider the time vs. money here, in that an hour spent sat fishing should be at least somewhat lucrative compared to an hour of doing other activities. Getting 1-2 sellable fish in an hour and a whole bunch of junk is going to be a significant deterrent.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  3. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

If we are truly in the middle of the salmon run, I can't even with how much I love Portalarium.

4. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I like the ideas. Building on what Arkah posted and Kaeshiva commented, my mind breaks the whole thing into parts, and then see where the ideas fit in:
    1. What and When: Define the fish, rarity, time of day, etc. (like Arkah did).
    2. Static Where: Consider places where certain fish may be caught (dungeons, sewers, etc.) with possibility of other monsters in the area, thus increasing the difficulty to catch certain fish.
    3. Dynamic Where: Consider special times/events for things to happen, like salmon runs on certain rivers during certain alignment of stars.
    4. What: Add some fish characteristics like weight (so we can have competitions or weight could lead to higher crafting yield).
    5. What: Add date/time caught to the fish (so we can have fishing competitions and trophy rooms).
    6. Who: Add who caught the fish.
    7. How: Fishing skills are basic right now.
    8. How: Fishing gear is basic right now.
    9. Why: The ultimate "Why go fishing?" question:
      1. Economy: Craft into food and be valuable compared to other foods when eaten, like Kaeshiva said.
      2. Deco: Trophies on walls - more valuable to the player when adding rare fish and weight, date/time caught, who caught.
      3. Player Events: Fishing competitions - easy to do when have weight, catch date/time, who caught added. (could be week-long events)
      4. Friday Fish Fry: Of course! Doesn't everyone want to head into Novia to the local pub for a Friday Fish Fry?
    I'm not sure if this helps Arkah's wish list item. I think the small steps like with #1 and #9.1 can be a significant boost for Fishing in the game and interest to players.

Fish On!

majoria70 and Daigoji Gai like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'd really like to see the ability to see fish size/weight/fisherman when you mount the fishes on plaques. That would add something fun to fishing as Winfield says and allow you to memorialize the events and the big catches.

Alioth, Tiki Pirate and Daigoji Gai like this.
  6. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

You guys might check FF14's fishing system. Many similar ideas to what you want so could be something to nosh on as far as rare fish/weather/time of day etc. to catch them. The fishing gear was the main limiting factor in that game, though, with regards to how hard it was to catch something/your chance of catching a big fish.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Also check FFXI's fishing system. In fact, right now I am working on "endgame" fishing during the twice a year free week. I finally got a legendary fishing rod this morning, just in time for the free week to end. (However, I know from experience that it won't kick me, so as long as I can stay logged in...)

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fishing

Basically, ~160 types of fish, can catch junk, can fish up monsters (neither is usually desired and is just a speed bump), different fish are in different areas, freshwater vs saltwter, accounting for weather and time of day (it might not actually have this), multiple types of fishing rods with different properties (including some breaking easily on big fish or being bad at catching small fish), multiple types of bait preferred by different fish (it's a pain in the ass when the wrong fish bites but it's part of the game), lures as well as bait (they don't get consumed, but if your line breaks you lose the lure), so yeah it's got a lot in there.

About the only thing that I could obviously see adding is for different fish meat to have different effects in common recipes, like how gear crafting works in SotA, and it would avoid recipe explosion.

Winfield likes this.
  8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Great post. There is another fishing thread with lots of good ideas from Majoria somewhere too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.