Tonight's Hang out was awesome... BUT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ironkiller-Pacific, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironkiller-Pacific

Ironkiller-Pacific Avatar

I was watching it from my phone at work, it was a slow day. I did not know my wifi was off. So i burnt through over 6 gigs of mobile data over the course of the hang out. My plan only covers me for 6 GB. Had to spend 20 bucks to up my limit. lol Great time though!

2. Holt

Holt Avatar

Sorry to hear about the bandwidth limitations... such BS. But very happy you came to chill with us!

-Holt

EDIT:

Kuno you're my new favourite forum member. It gets ironically nasty in some of the posts below, so I'll caution the reader before hand to read Kuno Brauer's helpful posts and move on.

I'll also CHEAT and post my #30 post right here at #2, an old trick I learned back in the day:

I'm not sure Ironkiller meant for this thread to be the place where people took his headline and harped on the Celebration.​

I had a blast, and maybe I'm just that way because I am not really looking for spoilers or depending on advanced information about the game. I'm positive I'll enjoy it, because of the great quality of people I'll get to play with! To me, how we solve crafting issues, or pvp, in the end is quite secondary to the richness of the story, music and adventurous environment.​

This was a very exciting night for all of us humble invitees. We were surprised and honored. I was really interested to see the faces and hear the voices of these passionate souls (especially Dame Lori. I think we'll have an official competition of writing her love poetry. ;) hah!)​

That said, gosh some of you are hard to please!! R2 is released, we get to run around in Kingsport AND have a virtual SotA party, all in the same day. My most exciting day of 2014, I'd have to admit.​

If you decided that the invited community contributors were boring, and you had no questions for them when their turn to be asked questions came, does it not suggest merely that you are not really interested in the 'Community' part of this whole process? Something to think about, since the importance of your own voice, positive or negative, relies on the community giving it weight.​

I think the title of this thread should be: Lessons in Irony.​

3. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

XD OOPS! Sorry for your issue...! Trying real hard not to laugh, though... I have SOOOO done 'duh' stuff like that before!

4. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Is there a summation somewhere. I really don't want to watch 6 hours :p

5. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

They didn't talk about much except the fansites. I watched it for maybe thirty minutes and turned it off when the only topic of discussion was booze.

Gunga Din likes this.
  6. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

There was certainly more happening than drinking and talking about fansites.

They recognized many community-members and collaborative efforts that have brought something unique to this game and its community. Several community members were given rare coins, bestowed nifty SotA and/or Portalarium swag (until they are given Royal Warrants), and many were welcomed to the Order of New Britannian Knights (I might have that name wrong?). *Edit to correct: "Order of New Britannian Empire" (ONBE)

It was quite cool.

A few highlights:
    • Firelotus was the sane half ("it's okay, you're graded on a curve." ~Lum) and talked a bit about writing dialogue for NPC's
    • Starr Long lost his chair, and whiskey, in a moment of.... CHAOS. Expect terrible repercussions. And cookies.
    • Tassilo Philip's mustache, as well as his yeoman work on the Linux and Mac builds, were epic as usual
    • Stephen Daniele showed off the awesome looking Royal Warrant and gave us sneak peeks at some Town maps he's been working on (and a glimpse at how the cinematics will work). He also promised shirtless PotA's... for a hefty price :D
    • Dennis Loubet talked with RG about his artwork on earlier games, SotA, and some very cool side commissions he does that might interest avatars everywhere: https://www.facebook.com/Drawmycharacter
    • Dame Lori of forsakenvirtues.com was the first community member to be accepted to the Order of the New Britannian Empire(?) ONBE
    • Holt from the Bard's Circle Guild talked about community-created music (and fiction) and its place in New Britannia
    • Joe Garrity showed off some amazing artifacts and played the beginning of "Stones" on a beautiful harp
    • RG showed off his impressive pens and other artifacts, while Dallas reaffirmed his objections to objectivism, managed to slip in a "Playboy" reference, and rediscovered the name of the god that Gorn called out to many years ago
    • Joseph Drasin showed off some cool SotA-related Lego projects, including an outstanding model for the Hearth of Britannia (which will likely influence the real building in-game)
    • Frank got a hat, and rejoiced as his coin-giving puppets danced... ;)
    • Lum had a Live TV/"hot mic" moment that could have been much worse than it was (he also read us some of the terrible things all of you say to the guards... for shame!)
    • The Ultima Codex crew talked about their history and future plans for their site (and other SotA-related projects)
    • Rild talked about some of the swag he made, beard coins, and had his mind blown when he learned he will be an NPC in game :)
    • Adiun also got a hat and showed off some of the awesome work the College of Arms has been doing
    • NirAntae was also hanging out, but connection problems and the "party" atmosphere made chiming in a bit difficult
    • Dom John (of the Space Bards) played and sang an acoustic rock arrangement of "Stones"
    • Rustic Dragon polished off a bottle of whiskey all by himself and it didn't even phase him... ;P

dahak, rild, Grayhawk and 10 others like this.
  7. rendix

rendix Avatar

The summation is that no questions about the game were considered relevant. It was a great show, but it was not a "Q&A Extravaganza".

Hell, we were even told to stop asking questions during the "Q&A Extravaganza".

Margard and vjek like this.
  8. 888Maithe888

888Maithe888 Avatar

Well it was a PARTY.

...just sayin'.

9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Well, I was assuming they were going to answer a bunch of game related questions. They should have called it the Honoring Fan Creation hangout.

Margard and rendix like this.
  10. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

It was the ONBE, and I believe the E was Empire. Pretty much the same thing, they were referred to as knights or some such. I'm sure they're thrilled, the sentimental value of that is way better than any pledge reward.

I came in late, and watched to the end. Then I went back and started it all over again. I realized I had just missed Dennis, wish I had been on then to ask some questions. They mentioned Dennis' facebook page where he commissions art, https://www.facebook.com/Drawmycharacter. Very cool.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  11. Smitty

Smitty Legend of the Hearth

They weren't fielding questions on non-developed parts of the games (I.E. PVP). Will have to wait until the next one!

12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Rustic said he would only accept questions that were directed towards the guests, not the developers, and not game related. game related questions we had to PM him on the forums that he would respond to later.

13. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

They took developer questions during the hour and a half portion of the hangout that featured the developers...

dahak likes this.
  14. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well then I'm glad I missed it

15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I missed the first hour and some odd minutes due to work. So it seemed like nearly 5 hours of just guests and guest questions to me ;)

16. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

This.

After the devs went home, they couldn't really take those kinds of questions anymore - A) the devs weren't there, and B) it would have been taking away from the other guests' time. Granted, they probably should have made that clear ahead of time - that technical type questions needed to be asked in the first hour and a half or so, because not a lot got asked really. But it's not like they didn't take any, saying they told you not to ask technical questions is misleading, since that was only after that first (and longest) segment.

Also, saying a six hour program was "nothing but ____" if you only watched the first half hour is not exactly fair either. -.-

Kuno Brauer, smack and Dame Lori like this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I guess I'll have to re-watch the first hour, see what fun stuff happened.

18. Smitty

Smitty Legend of the Hearth

I watched the whole time while chatting and playing, had a blast and was well worth it. Looking forward to the next one!

dahak, rild, NirAntae and 3 others like this.
  19. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Thanks for getting Joe to play the harp, Smitty. :D

rild, Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  20. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I think the common complaint is that it was billed as a Q&A Extravaganza; which it really wasn't.

Such is life :)

vjek and LoneStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.