Map of New Britannia

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Count Napoli, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Interesting. I'll have to give this a try sometime soon. I'm curious though if data overlays such as labels stay the same size as you zoom in, or do they enlarge with the rest of the map?

caravaggiosWolf likes this.
  2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I assume you have used google maps? Its google maps. With a custom map. Everything you can do there, you can do with the API.

The only thing that is more difficult (and not really interesting) is a street level view. Might be nice to use their standard photo integration i.e. users post photos of lat-long areas and they are viewable, but street level, meh, that is what the game is for.

A few of us are working on overlay ideas.

I will post an example overlay tonight some time.

3. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I posted a rough example using markers. Running out of work, so I will continue to add all the town markers for the example at home, but for now...

Shroud of the Avatar - Novia

The top right, flick the towns toggle to see the pinned locations show up.

Obviously, you can go much further down the rabbit hole with all manner of hand drawn and/or data driven elements.

Like in this simple pin example, those could easily reside in a .json/.xml file to allow users to "add" discoveries which automagically refresh on the main map via some toggle, checkbox, etc...

I'd imagine it would be especially keen, over time, to plot out the roads. Or to make some custom layers for MOB influence, etc...

4. Holt

Holt Avatar

The best idea would be to produce a VECTOR map that can be enlarged to any size. You can do that kind of thing in illustrator, I'm not sure about other programs.

The difference between bitmaps and vectors is that vectors are drawn through calculations, not a map of pixels. If we had a vector map we could produce any size/detail we wanted.

5. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Thanks for taking the time to put this demo together. It looks very useful.

6. smack

smack Avatar

That was very cool Joviex! I would love to contribute to it.

7. Holt

Holt Avatar

How are things coming along?

8. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Coming along on the interactive map? I haven't really looked into that. I put my map work on a short hold when I noticed that the continent of Novia and Hidden Vale shared the same set of coordinates. I wanted to get clarification from Portalarium on this perceived error. I'm going to restart later this evening. If you don't see an update tonight, you should tomorrow.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Margard

Margard Avatar

They stated that the coordinates would change near launch

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Well, for what we are doin, I plugged in a bunch of POIs while watching the sunday fun fest =p

Fleshed out the framework a bit, converted some of the old icons to the new where the puzzle pieces were updated, etc...

Couple people working on specific overlays they want to test out, like a hex overlay.

Kind of waiting for the lat/long lines myself. Would much rather put in the actual world coords, but until then, whomever will enter them in place and we'll run a re-map when P posts the actuals.

I have another running playground at index2.html just to test other ideas, like making seperate maps for more focused areas, i.e. overhead(s) for Owl's Head and Kingsport, etc... plus playing around with the idea of an actual street map.

Bramagola likes this.
  11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

The "Hall of Artifice" appears to possibly be labeled wrong according to the spoiler below? Not sure, here's what I have... figured I'd share with everyone :)

It's actually called "Crucible" and the buildings under it are called "Artifice". Also, to the north of that the city is Aerie and it's located in "Longfall"

The water area to the east is called the "Bay of Storms"

North of Aerie is the "Bloodriver", to the east of that letting into the "Bay of Storms" is "Fogladden".

The dungeon marked on the "Fogladden" river appears to be wrong compared to this PotA... it's actually between the forks of "Bloodriver" and "Fogladden". I don't see the name of it unfortunately so I cannot help you there. The below image has everything I just mentioned besides the dungeon, it's just above and to the right of the house icon that sits on the Y of the "Bloodriver" and to the left of "Fogladden" and I'm not sure I can offer a more exact way of describing it. Anyway, enjoy!

Source:
    [​IMG]

Joviex likes this.
  12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Alright... here's more! (fyi I'm doing these translations on the fly from memory so if I make any mistakes please feel free to point them out and I'll edit the post)

Runic Translations:
    North of "Bloodriver" are the "Mariah Mountains" with "Vertas" located at their base in the "Forsaken Vale". East of there is the "Piccars Of Night". I'll leave the rest of the translations to the map masters :) enjoy all!

Map:
    [​IMG]

13. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Updated for that POI. I am going to publish a runic and english one as well this weekend. Would LOVE to get a clean version of the map, sans any POI, etc... guess we just gotta wait.

Well, added those new POIs and there are some definite landscape changes. There seems to be a new range of mountains between the +40:+50 long lines and -40:-30 lat lines.

And there is another one of those crystal like looking structures. Wondering what that is along with its bigger brother in the North top center west of Libris. I havent marked that bigger one, cause I awas unsure if it was a unique POI, or other ones would dot up.

Maybe they are the equivalent of a city vs town, but crystalline? They look like crystals, but no clue.

And I added both those small "houses" as hamlets, but the icon for the one nestled in around 35long and -35 lat is a new icon.

Bramagola, Jatvardur and smack like this.
  14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I knew there had to be someone in the community that could do this sorta thing. I'll send you a PM.

15. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

FYI, per Blade of the Avatar, that village on the edge of the Bay of Storms right at the opening of the Barren River is called Etceter (which matches the puzzle runes). The island just off the coast from it is Siren Isle.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

17. stile

stile Avatar

I also like the maps done on the other thread, headed by Smack. However it is not an apples to apples comparison.

Count Napoli is doing a lot more then making just a map out of jigsaw pieces. Hes taking information beyond that and creating different types of maps :). Actually, speaking of which, I had a suggestion for him on a project I better go drop his way *scampers off*

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Aye, aye. Not to take anything away from Count Napoli to be sure.

It's just the other thread is harder to find than this one through the forum search software

so I thought I'd link it here for those that only found this one.

Also I suggest t0 Count Napoli that updating the first post of this thread is a better idea than just posting the updated maps,

because many people won't read through 7 pages to find the changes; I know I didn't.

19. Sir Catt

Sir Catt Avatar

is there anyway we can add an "Empty Lot Locator" say by pressing a key combo like "alt + L" just a thought ?

tradyblix likes this.
  20. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

But that kills the magical pain to find a empry lot! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.