It took me 30 seconds to sign up, it only took me 10 to leave.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChequeDrops, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I guess I'm evil for saying this, but every game put out doesn't appeal to every player.
    If somebody takes a look and doesn't like what they see, it's perfectly fine to put it back on the shelf and move on.

If the game is a big hit, they'll hear about it, and they might come back and take another look.

If all PVP, full loot, no safe areas is what you are looking for, this game will never be that. No need to linger.
    If randomness in the combat system gives you pause, maybe hang around and see if they dump the idea.

Time Lord, docdoom77, Kaisa and 5 others like this.
  2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I've said before, I really wish they could wrestle the Ultima IP away from EA, or at least properly license it, but that's also probably a lot more effort and hassle involved than the cost would be worth at this point.

The deck system thingy, personally, seemed like something from RG's involvement in Tabula Rasa, which was very heavily JRPG influenced. I echo the sentiments of pretty much everyone so far, PLEASE keep combat to actually having my character swinging swords and blocking monster attacks. Turn based or similar combat systems are fine for a Final Fantasy-type game, but for a fantasy/medieval type MMORPG, it would frankly be too jarring for me.

I do think the Portalarium team has the ideas for a "successor" UO2, even if they can't directly call it that. Still kinda sad that Starr Long (Darkstarr, oh he of the ugly helm :) can't actually use the Lord Blackthorn persona in SotA, despite BEING the guy who RG made the damn character in UO for. Sigh.

eon and Maka like this.
  3. Maka

Maka Avatar

Just a shout out to those of you that answered this thread with patience & information. You're a credit to our community!

Time Lord, Ferrus, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  4. eon

eon Avatar

But tabula rasa is closed and I frankly want to play an mmo that lives more than what TB lived...

It reminds me of pokemon rather than FF since in FF you use several chars. (jk)

Behold a wild Skeleton appears!

Start of turn 1
    Eon uses Lightning bolt. ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE!
    Skeleton lost 220 HP!
    Skeleton uses bone boomerang!
    Eon became confused!

Start of turn 2
    Eon is confused!
    It hurt itself in its confusion!
    Eon lost 300 HP!
    Skeleton used Toxic!
    Eon was poisoned!
    Eon lost 100 HP!

Skeleton won the battle!

5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I get that, and it's a fair concern. Given what we've seen so far from the releases, they seem to be steering the game mechanics toward a traditional type market, so I'm not too worried they'll suddenly jump the shark into whacky combat systems. It's possible the deck/card thing may be a mini game, or even something that offers upgrades/buffs/item modifications/etc. Have to wait for more info at this point.

And yeah, this game isn't TR, but it's also fair to expect that some successful elements may find their way to SotA, just as RG's experiences and background from the Ultima series and UO would as well. It's my hope that Shroud not only is successful, but can help lead the MMO market and design as UO once did. :)

6. monxter

monxter Avatar

What has this to do with SoTA? :O

7. eon

eon Avatar

Hope its a mini game too as I mentioned before and not the actualy combat. We will see maybe its not a bad idea and when I try it out I say "holy cows that is incredible" but the old-school entusiast inside me says otherwise atm.

8. eon

eon Avatar

I added the "jk" after you readed my stupid post :p

3devious likes this.
  9. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

A wild SotA appears!
    HoustonDragon used Pledge!
    SotA is confused.
    HoustonDragon used referral Pledge!
    It's super effective!
    SotA cheers!
    SotA departs to make an awesome game! :D

docdoom77 and monxter like this.
  10. monxter

monxter Avatar

Alright, I actually thought you thought that SoTA has turn based combat :D Cheers.

11. eon

eon Avatar

Yo dawg I thought that you thought that I thought a thought so I added a thought to your thought so you can thought while you thought!

Ferrus likes this.
  12. sheetrock1

sheetrock1 Avatar

One thing to keep in mind, Is the game is in testing not store ready. Lots of bugs to work out,Its to be a new realistic way of fighting not just best macros wins. I would say ,pledge at a lower lvl till you try it, post your concerns,help us all make a better game .

I have spent a lot more on some games ,that turned out to be pure junk IMO.

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. eon

eon Avatar

Oh but there's always macros and cheats, aslong as you can record mouse movement, keys, create a loop etc with a program or with macro keys on your keyboard. I've seen a lot of people use macro-keys techniques cause they can't be "detected" and therefor not banned. If you have a Mad Catz or any other macro-keyboard that allows you to record sentences or create key combinations the posibilities are endless.

Also there is always going to be someone with coding skills to create small or big programs to cheat which are way more versatile than pre-recorded stuff or "combo-keys" since they can be more "IA" like (depending on how good the guy who made the cheat is...) or those other cheats to detect house decaying, locate people, detect where good minerals can be mined etc in UO.

sheetrock1 likes this.
  14. sheetrock1

sheetrock1 Avatar

Funny, I don't think i'm a nerd in any way .But i have played every game you mentioned, and a lot more.It always comes back to Ultima being the best i ever played .[Well till the time of trammel] [and care bears] .If this game turned out to be nothing more then the game of ,[ Magic on line ] I would wish for the Gods of gaming ,would make Richard G. and his team, to eat **** and die.

On that note , I would have to say , Richard G. and his team thus far , are trying there very best to give us , the closest thing to Ultima in 3d as they can. So thank you all for a second chance.

eon likes this.
  15. Owain

Owain Avatar

How
    Separate servers make it so people with different player styles can NEVER hook up. Suppose someone starts out on a regular server, and decides later, they want to go hard core. They have to start over. With Selective Multiplayer, they just flip a switch, and they are there. Also, if I start on hard core server Rabid and a friend of mine starts on hard core server Psycho, one of us has to change servers. Unnecessary with Selective Multiplayer, because there is just one server.

How bad ass can a game be if few people buy it, which would be the case if there were no safe zones or no option to play the game without PvP? Like it or not, that would be the case.

With Selective Muliplayer, there may be the 'bad ass' option, and by selecting it, you could get everything you want in a game. Why should that not be enough?

docdoom77 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

I do not really approve of your kind of people. "I invested a lot of money if it was not something. And so goodbye" One pathos! Serious people choose to learn all aspects of the project. I also have questions about the combat system. March will show what's what. Thomas Edison also expressed their doubts, many scientists of his time. What really needs this project so grammotno Piar

17. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Well said. If someone wants the "safe only" experience, they have the Single player available to them too. Selective Multiplayer seems like it will be awesome, because again, you're grouped with like-minded people who would get to share playstyles, and as a group, can really decide what works best for them.

I personally liked the style of old Felucca UO, but there were plenty who didn't and flocked to Trammel as soon as possible. I'm sure the Devs recognize and will balance gameplay for folks on both sides. But if ya step out into the "badass" world as stated, you should expect a perilous journey. :D

sheetrock1 likes this.
  18. sheetrock1

sheetrock1 Avatar

Agreed, I play because its fun , never have used cheats, have to wonder how anyone that does, can think there anything but a cheat. Having zero or No real skills. AS in real life or a game, if your that type of a person ,I personally Don't want you as a friend , or even around me.
    On the same token some people will tell you lies, when the truth is a better story.

majoria70 likes this.
  19. eon

eon Avatar

Then everyone would farm gear and skills in the pve server and when they have the best stuff go to the hard core while someone that is always at the hard core one won't probably have that much stuff since he will loot everything when he dies so the step curse to the top is HARDER.

So the solution si traveling to the pve server and hardcore one back and forth for when you loose stuff get it on the pve one, how stupid is that? Ofc you need to start again, its the only fair way, same as you can't transfer a rp toon from a rp server to a pve server in some mmo's.

As bad ass as some mmo's out there that have that gameplay and they are the top knotch of that style and some of them have as much players as any other "friendly/easy" mmo. Meaning: pretty bad ass and actually more acurate of what a real fantasy "medieval/futuristic" world would be like.

20. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

This is not helpful or constructive. The game -IS- going to draw different people from various different mindsets. Agree to disagree, but the thing that will beat help get SotA launched and successful is continuing to bring in new fans and players, not belittle them into abandoning this project.

Not every single thing about the game can possibly hope to please everyone; it would be a logistical nightmare. They have their opinions, you are welcome to yours as well. That's what discussion is all about here. ;)

sheetrock1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.