It took me 30 seconds to sign up, it only took me 10 to leave.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChequeDrops, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Shouldn't you be so much better than the person who spent all his time on a PvE server that you can just walk over them and take their stuff? You should be thanking them instead of complaining.

You presume gear is hard to get. From what I've seen so far, the best gear will be player crafted, and will be as easy to get as walking to the nearest vendor. There are a LOT of people interested in crafting, so they will all be undercutting each other in price, so gear should be reasonably cheap as well.

Anyway, if you were really hard core, wouldn't you welcome the challenge? Maybe you are not quite to hard core as you would lead us to believe.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

I love this sort of subtly understated insult. You win my "Feather Duster Whip" award of the week for the nicest way of saying:

"If I had a turnip and that turnip was rather thick but still had a baby turnip, then even that baby turnip would be brighter than you."

There are days when I love the forums.:)

DF.

Ferrus likes this.
  3. djshire

djshire Avatar

But you have to believe in the heart of the cards!
    [​IMG]

docdoom77 and eon like this.
  4. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

I agree with you the game should be a game that make sodateli. If the authors of all the players will listen to it will be Blizzard 2. The authors have their head on their shoulders and a lot of talent in the field of games which do not have. What we invest money does not mean that we must demand of the game is what we want to see. We have already invested so knew what they were doing. We can treovat kachaestvennogo execution. I think so.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. eon

eon Avatar

I'm not saying that I'm hardcore I'm saying that its just unfair lol, its not that the gear is better but getting it is harder since you need to farm the gold to get it and you can get killed at any moment doing that since your not in a "safe city" for example (so everyone is not stupid and will go do that to the pve one...), also in most pve servers some items can't be dropped or traded and while in pvp everything can be dropped in most cases so everyone would go to the pvp servers to trade and transfer and that will kill also the pvp since the higher prices due to the pve traders influx so at the end the pvp server will be a deserted land where people just go to slaughter each other... that's pretty sad...

6. eon

eon Avatar

Then they shouldn't say we can participate and give our opinions and points of view...

btw: treovat kachaestvennogo ?? NIE PANIMAYO!

7. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

The Devs do listen to their players, as shown by numerous threads; they also make the final decisions on what they choose to include in the final game.

However, given that this is a crowdfunded game, people are very much voting with their wallets right now, especially considering we've barely whetted our ravenous appetites with pre-Alpha release 2. It's still miles from even close to finished, so expecting every possible change or issue to be set in stone now is ludicrous, particularly ones that we are only speculating about before anything has been seen for review.

Shorter version: It's all guesswork at the moment; all opinions are still valid.

Ferrus likes this.
  8. eon

eon Avatar

If they just gaved us before hand everything written off before backing about what the game was going to have it would have been much better for this discussions lol

Atleast you would know before hand if its something you will like or not and not that everything is just foggy.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Players who spend all their time in PvE are usually not good at PvP.

Again, shouldn't you be thanking them for their contributions?

docdoom77, Ferrus and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Amen. Also, someone who might become interested in PvP may choose to visit their friend's server (like Owain mentioned) to try it out, and maybe learn to enjoy that playstyle.

That's a lot better way than versus being forced into a bloodthirsty meat grinder stepping out the gate, and that same player going "Welp, screw THIS game, I'm out!" before getting to enjoy anything else the game would have to offer.

Owain likes this.
  11. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

Sorry - Google translator)) Require quality.

12. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

No thanks. If I wanted Darkfall combat, i would play Darkfall. SotA does not need "must be full pvp no safe zone". I for one love the new card combat system. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

docdoom77, NRaas and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. eon

eon Avatar

Even if its a pvp server, you get bored of killing noobs and I'm not talking about someone that just plays in pve and then goes to pvp, I mean about the people that will exploit both sides and take advantages of both servers while instead you should be focussing just into 1, if you want to go pvp and pve make 2 chars one on each server like in any other game lol...

I've never been a big pvper but I liked the rush of adrenaline of beeing in a vast unprotected world and not beeing cared about the gameplay mechanics that makes me the walk easier, infact its more fun getting killed, ganked etc on a long term, you learn to apreciate your life and apreciate every bit you win and not loose and ofc on a long term you get less bored of a game that gives you everything on a soft pillow.

Also since I tend to play a lot so I hate to just reach to the "top" and then have a feeling of "now what?" and just wait for a next expansion/dlc or whatever to come out. In a raw server like in UO (T2A for example) the ups and downs where constant and that made it more competitive even if they added no new stuff on the shard you could "reach the top" and just get killed and start from scratch getting all your well earned gear.

You are not getting my point (or not wanting to undestand) and you are just trying to discredit my words so I don't consider explaining you this deeper will make any difference...

14. eon

eon Avatar

But that's part of enjoying the game, if he cannot enjoy it, then its not his game/server :p

They are clearly not gonna do that kind of game because they don't want to risk it that way most of companies think that way "the more players the better",when most of times its not like that, some mmo's have gone from P2P to F2P and that just made an influx of idiotic people and kids into the game.

They know that kind of gameplay is more for a "little sector" call it hardcore call it old-schoolers or cult gamers I never liked beeing tagged...

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Maybe not. What then is your point?

16. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

His server, definitely. But not his game, that's where I would disagree strongly. UO was the first, really, to introduce the separate need for inviolate servers, and there was an immediate groundswell of support when people moved enmass to Trammel.

Don't get me wrong, there ARE people who rightly loved the hardcore, bloody, and thrilling challenge that it took to survive in Felucca, and there MUST be an outlet for the type of gameplay for them to enjoy. But forcing it on everyone, particularly in this genre's market, would be counterproductive. The frustrated player would simply take their cash/support elsewhere, when back in UO days there were far less options available.

Uber ultra hardcore MMOs appeal to a small niche market, which is okay for a time, but history tends to show they lack the long term "oomph" to remain a profitable success. They added the Selective Multiplayer so people can group and play with like-minded friends, and enjoy that content together as they prefer. :D

Edit: To your point, hopefully Selective servers will also help weed out the "idjits" and trolls who would not want that playstyle anyway, since you and your friends would be on a Siege Perilous (so to speak :) server yourselves away from the "carebears". If they venture into your bloodied lands, then they should know, there be real dragons. ;)

Gridley17 likes this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Deck system might be confusing some terms here.

The skills/abilities work the way you've come to expect from games, This isn't like learning a whole new type of game, you just need to learn the combat system like any new combat system. There are ways of making it so you always have certain abilities available to you(See Focus skill tree -locked abilities), outside of combat you have all your abilities that aren't combat-only available to you.

Your basic attacks are generally going to get you through most fights. For melee/archers tha'ts just your sword swings and arrows, That's really no different than UO was. For casters your wands/staves will do the trick, that's a little different from UO, as casters in pve would usually use energy vortex or a lot of e-bolts, fire field...

If you read through the abilities that you'll be using a lot of them are bonus attacks, or rendering your target prone, or extra damage, extra dodge, those sorts of things. The spells are your regular damage dealing, healing, debuff/buff spells, pick and choose what you like.

So you might ask what is the purpose of this system? Chris and Darkstarr would probably do a better job of explaining it than me, but basically 1st They can allow powerful combos to happen if you get the right abilities together. 2nd they want you to have options in combat, not pressing the same rotation of abilities, they want you to think a bit about whether you'll use something, combo it, discard it, save it in hopes of getting a combo later. So they want to bring tactics back instead of a rotational skill cooldown system as other games have.

They have discussed making a "suggested deck" available to people who don't want to build their skill decks. The locked abilities take a step into helping those who can't get behind a "randomized" system, (It's only as random as you make your deck really, you can make it so you have few abilities in there giving you great consistency and knowing what to expect, with only a little uncertainty of whether you'll get your combos or not). The only drawbacks to using the locked abilities is they can't be used in a combo and they might have additional focus cost. They'll likely also require a cooldown. The last demo we saw was a 2 second delay between abilities appearing. I've done a lot of speculating and number crunching and analyzing of abilities to determine potential early builds for various roles and how often you can expect an ability to come up. It sounds like a lot of fun to me.

I highly recommend reading the FAQ: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_120

along with the magic/crafting skills: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/magic-combat-and-crafting-skills.3937/

and most important, The Let's talk about combat post: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-combat.4094/

Overall I don't think the combat system should deter you from pledging. we'll get to play with it in alpha, give feedback, make changes till it's fun, exciting, rewarding to play. and most importantly, FUN!

If it really isn't working well they have time and another system they can fall back onto. This system sounds like one of the most challenging/difficult to design systems out there.. your standard cooldown based combat system is much, much easier to design and balance and program.

Kaisa likes this.
  18. eon

eon Avatar

Actually the pvpers will weed out the noobs or non pvers but there's always pve guilds that take care of them.

I still enjoy non "bloodbath" mmo's but I just miss that some times and I'm not saying its a must but I just give my point of view like you do, still sota or any other game can be good without "OPEN" pvp.

idk how many subs darkfall or Mortal Online have I'm sure they aren't a lot.

Maybe not a good example because its space based game but:

EVE online = more than 500.000 subs maybe not as many as WoW but it must be on the top 20 of most populated MMO's, they have scalated "security" but trust me even in 1.0 the most secure part of space people get ganked and scamed and that's why a lot of people don't like it, sure I quited playing but it wasn't because of that reson and I might come back some day, yet the company just encourage that kind of gameplay and there is just 1 server that is always VERY populated.

Meaning, it has its big market, id like to see 500k active accounts on sota in 10-11 years because it will be a good sign that the game is fresh and alive.

19. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

The only people who are getting effected with there game play are the warriors and wizards of this community.
    The ones who like to physically release the power from thy hands with a single click.

I just dont agree with safe zones and limiting pvp encounters due to choice.

eon likes this.
  20. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I don't agree to not being able to click a button to add 100 gold to my pack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.