The false "immersion" of being directionless

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

That's exactly what we are still waiting to be done (asked by more people I may count for more than 5 years) ...

And all of us are so excited about this since January 2019 ...
    @DarkStarr - please tell those other Developers, they have to read the Release Notes, because (especially) they also have to follow us for Episdoe 2 ;)

May the Force be with us!

2. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Yes, I am one of those people too, however, there are many who don't care and are only interested in making money.

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Maybe a color hint of orange or red for tasks where the recommended level is vs your adventurer level. Sure, AL becomes a less useful metric at higher levels, but this could be enough for newer players to know they aren't expected to go there yet. (yes I know there's a "you should/should-not be able to do this, but it's just more words to not read and doesn't stand out, because the journal is a bad design)

Another idea is holding quests back at lower AL, then when you reach the right point, The NPCs where you left off will send you in-game mail requesting that you visit them, which adds a quest task when you read it.

But then again, I've tried playing U4 through an emulator on an Android tablet, and it is much harder to find your way without a lot of dedication. Shroud has nothing on getting lost in there, you basically have to make notes with actual paper and pencil, which is kind of antithetical to playing on a mobile device, a half hour or so at a sitting.

I don't think those are the people we are worrying about here. They want the sandbox experience, we've got it. But when even they try to do quests, it would be better if they could have subtle nudges in the right direction.

Yes, it is bad. It is confusing, is doesn't present things in any order other than "when you did them", and it doesn't have an overview mode that lets you see more than 3-5 tasks on the screen at the same time.

At least the new map should allow a lot of good stuff later on after it gets polish. Right now it has problems like your marker arrow almost completely disappearing at maximum zoom-out. But it's good as a first cut to replace the old one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.