What do you do for fun in this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bridge Troll, Aug 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I like to test new builds, kill players and craft powerfull stuff

2. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

My main reason for making this post was to try and validate a feeling I had. That hunch being that the game encourages more solo play than social. I think that we all end up wanting to solo, partially due to the challenge, and partially due to the loot scarcity.

I must say I am glad to see the results. I think the game (or our brains) do slant us toward solo, but they may be the case with all MMOs.

My only worry is that as the game ages, the elder players become more sequestered and the newer players are left experiencing a much less social/helpful community than we had.

Gonna start thinking on a way to increase social interactions. Thanks all, great answers!

3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

You are not wrong, and that is true of most MMOs these days where a load of players complain about being "forced to group to advance". I'm only aware of one game in development just now going back to the group PvE focus.

Its also true that for many players RL makes it hard to find and maintain a regular group to play with and many don't like playing with random PUGs

Time Lord likes this.
  4. oplek

oplek Avatar

Where I'd start is the LFG mechanic. I had some thoughts about that over 3 years ago, which, as usual, went ignored. Key points being to provide scheduling start AND stop times, as I suspect many people will hesitate to even join, if they don't know how long it'll take, and don't want to deal with the social awkwardness of trying to break off early... so they just skip it entirely.

Maybe throw in some automatic group events that people can jump into? In Fallout 76, whenever someone go to a point in the main questline, everyone on the server is pinged on an event about to happen, and most people would come running, because it was fun, and everyone got good loot. Here, that'll help introduce people to each other.

Alas, LFG is just yet another rudimentary tech demo that was never completed.

Vaiden Luro and Time Lord like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What would really help with LFG is increasing the amount of text that can be put into the description.

6. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

When you say you want more text - how much and could you give an example of what you would type?

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, as an example, I recently spotted a LFG titled something like "Pirate Ship Extreme", which left me wondering... where is a pirate ship? If there were more room then it could've read "Airship in Lamech's Bazaar - Extreme Setting", which is pretty clear.

FBohler, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I could add a party created time, i cannot know when it end nor the player will. been in so many raid that was supose to last 30 minute but ended up 4 hours later.. (as an example)
    Also like that other idea but there some thinking to do on what zone could trigger this kind of event. First few that come into mind is obsidian trial or ardoris arena then maybe Lost Vale (except we got a crystal for lost vale that would lose its purpose, which imo dont matter as its still a cool item). Party creation time will be in next release but the rest require some more work, ill figure out something for that but might take some time.

Ill extend it.

Thats one of my major concern too. Adding that friend icon on top right with the player online was one step. But really looking to do more on this.

Adam Crow, FBohler, majoria70 and 7 others like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think you know how I feel about this and I think everyone is beginning to recognize this issue as well. There are elements within it which are not a one thing fixes all, but through game design, "with a lot of everyone's thoughts put into everything they can dream of", we could see some good ideas emerge which could be made even better than expected. That's all roses and sunshine inspirational words indeed, but when we meditate, argue, rhetoric extreme or revel in beauty "here in our forums", that is when invention meets the clipboard of the movie film and pulls it best all together, with bloody cut pieces laying everywhere because it all has to fit into what we have. "And it's that, which is the real rub within it all"!

We can pray to the developers, but even our developers have their limitations and last year's incentives placed through programing often age to their demise, rise or drift off into obscurity. One single person can't make it best for all as easily as many can. What we of the collective tribe of concerned community monks all point to here is our "need to desire to collect".

Instead of boring everyone with allot of gory details out of some military special operations manual, I will place some images here which may cause your minds to wonder into places which may be of aide to our developer's fingering computer magic designs.

Both the visible and the invisible walls, incentives and lures which create the funnels which could funnel us more desiribly together. Try your best not to see the walls, or the things, but rather try to see the metaphors which they may point you to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Meditate on the visions within the thoughts of how we could better
    "funnel" our players towards fun.

Or suffer the the effects of individual chaos created by our own Universe 25, which is symptomatic within all games and all groups who are guided to live in the chaos of no directions.

Without Compassionate Revolution through More Provided Directions in Compassion, a Cultivated Culture of Compassion,
    *we live in a population limited cage without more outlets to explore through. ~We need Space Cadets! ~ So please do, dream!~ Dream in more and better funnels.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Tahru likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think that it's the fault of the game itself. I can only speak for myself, but I generally don't want to deal with other people, and I mostly play computer games to escape the real world and not see or deal with other people.

11. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

I like to fish and run fishing contests :)
    Some of the best times I've had in game have been zone chats during a contest.
    PvP Fishing contests have opened up a whole new level of fun!

Elgarion, Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  12. mydentist

mydentist Avatar

Adventuring into lands and exploring new cities is really fun for me, as is crafting and making stuff in my POT of Nauvoo.
    Learning more about the virtues and trying to apply them into my real life is also uplifting--just like the Ultima IV days of my youth.

There is so much to see, so much to explore, and so much to learn that the game never seems to get old unless I'm stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over rather than exploring. If I find myself grinding out some crafting without enjoying it, I know its time to go to the world map, explore, kill some stuff, talk with some folks, get some quests, and enjoy the journey.

Elgarion, Tirrag, Adam Crow and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.