[Poll] Self-Inflicted Damage [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Betamox, Feb 22, 2014.

?

Should Players Be Able to Injure Themselves?

1. Yes, Players Should Be Able to Damage Themselves.

91.5%
  2. No, Players Should Not Be Able to Damage Themselves.

8.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Should players be able to injure themselves, either intentionally, or as a consequence of a careless decision or activity?

Some examples:
    * Summoning a Demon is risky, it might try to attack.
    * Transporting Poison or Explosion Potions is risky, a wrong click could hurt.
    * Trying to attack a monster with a lightning bolt and you don't notice you selected yourself.
    * Summoning an elemental (blade spirit or energy vortex) that can and will try to kill you.

smack likes this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Choose wisely.

3. yakumo2897

yakumo2897 Avatar

This could be epic.

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Why?
    I mean you can damage yourself by pulling a mob or standing in fire or whatever. What are you looking for?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Even if they don't allow it I am pretty sure I will find a way. :)

smack, Jivalax Azon and sheetrock1 like this.
  6. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

PrimeRib - I don't want arbitrary restrictions placed on actions.

If someone has a careless moment, they should face the consequence.

7. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Would make for an interesting form of spellcasting (ala U8), where an incorrect ritual could have lethal results. :)

8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There's likely lots of ways that a character can die. But that doesn't necessary mean there's a button to stab yourself. Intentionally stabbing yourself isn't an act of carelessness, but I guess you could call it a restriction on freedom.

I don't know how to answer your poll without some why or why not scenario. Clearly some things will injure your character.

Ragnabrock and Jivalax Azon like this.
  9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Be careful where you target that AOE spell...

Jivalax Azon, NRaas and Umbrae like this.
  10. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I don't think Betamox's idea was of a new option for suicide, but rather the ability to kill himself with existing options (such as lightning and poison).

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I think he doesn't want the devs to intentionally prevent us from harming ourselves with misfires, and miscasting spells.

I agree mostly, but not really with this one,

If this were real life, a mage wouldn't be stupid enough to cast a lightning bolt spell on himself. Mouse errors shouldn't translate into game errors, as much as that's possible. I do think that area-of-effect spells should be able to harm the caster, requiring him to use prudence when casting them.

12. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Some games allowed you to injure yourself or be killed during crafting...That was great!

13. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I give a hesitant yes, but only with a caveat. If I jump off a tower, I should take damage or die. (unless prepared with spells, uber HP whatever) But as Redfish said:
    Dying simply because there was a mouse error doesn't seem right. This is a game. And while I am all for immersion etc. I play games for fun. A swordsman may slip and injure himself, but I think we in gaming would call this a crit fail. It wasn't a successful attack on the wrong target. Therefore I, like Primerib, cannot answer this poll as stated because:

14. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Yes, you could indeed blow yourself up at the alchemy table trying to overcharge items in DAOC. Good times, good times...

smack and Lord Baldrith like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

I fully support this, given that I started a thread about being able to gank yourself as the ultimate expression of freedom. But I can see how even with the examples in the OP they can be deemed too punishing. I do like the risk vs reward effort of the summoning and crafting examples. We know there's some of that with taming a creature that could attack and kill you. But the combat example likely will be the most contentious one since that's not really risk vs reward but more about user error. The punishment for that is already a wasted skill and any associated reagents or whatever.

16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

In another game, one could level magic skill by casting spells on yourself, and your magic resistance by casting harmful spells on yourself, so people would run macros while they were away at work or school.
    You could stock your character with so many reagents that you couldn't walk, and go away for a few days. You'd come back to a higher level character, allocate your xp, restock, and repeat with higher level spells.

So, my opinion on this is that you should be able to harm yourself, either by accident or intention, but you should not benefit from it.

smack, NRaas, Dermott and 2 others like this.
  17. selbie

selbie Avatar

Yes there should be consequences for careless actions (eg. jumping off the top floor of your manor, collateral damage from an AOE spell)
    It should not be exploitable as Sir Frank pointed out.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I would have voted yes, if it were just things like jumping off of cliffs that are obviously too high up and possibly uncontrolled demons and the like, but dying because I accidentally clicked wrong and targeted myself? No thank you. I don't need to die, because the dog bumped my arm while I'm playing. That doesn't sound the least bit fun to me.

19. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

So if a dog bumps you while playing Mario and you fall down a cliff as a result, or if you're playing Candy Crush and you get bumped and make the wrong combination - you think there should be protections for that as well?

Sometimes you have to be aware of your surroundings in the game and out.

20. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

If I was playing a platformer and not a fantasy roleplaying game that might be a good argument. I'm not. I don't want to be, nor do I want to be subject to the rules of a platformer.

Sometimes you have to be aware of the type of game you're discussing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.