Celestial information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, May 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Does anyone have information about how the cosmos works in shroud? I would love to add siege/cabalist timer to CotA but I need information about the logic behind it.

2. MikaOba

MikaOba Avatar

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

4. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood maybe?

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

what is wrong with the video in the link that was provided?

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

This thread (and also this thread) has a lot of links to that stuff. (This link especially will be helpful.)

Barugon likes this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

If I recall, one question that still needed answering was from a discussion on Discord; somebody was swearing up and down that the 2-day celestial object had been switched back to crossing North at midnight instead of noon. Should be easy enough to verify, I just never got around to it. That, and what the goofiness with POT sieges is, because we couldn't figure it out.

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Also, if you have a specific question, I can probably (maybe) answer it.* Might even get me back into that whole order thing again for a while...

In a nutshell: The sky is divided into twelve equal segments. Each segment corresponds to a constellation. (There are fourteen total constellations; Chaos and Order/Principles don't affect sieges.) Each planet moon CB has a cabalist associated with it. When that cabalist's moon is in a constellation's segment of the sky, towns with a devotional that corresponds to that constellation will come under attack until the CB leaves that segment of the sky. The cabalist that appears at the end of the siege is the one whose planet triggered it. And, as we know, if multiple CBs are present, multiple cabalists attack. If no CB is in that segment of the sky at the time an Avatar defeats all the siege engineers, a lich appears instead.

The CBs (I'm not typing "celestial body" every time, and I don't want to give @Anpu an opening to correct me) cross north on the compass at midnight, with the exception of Dishonor, which crosses north at noon. (That should be double checked; as noted earlier, somebody was claiming that was false.)

Why POTs with all the devotionals are not always under attack by all cabalists is a mystery; I and some other players were unable to work out what prevents this. As @Alley Oop shows via link below, the game cycles through the devotionals behind the scenes, choosing one to be "dominant" at any given time and act as the POT's devotional for purposes of figuring out sieges. Which also explains why they are all under attack at the same time, since they all would have the same "dominant" devotional at any given time.

There is also some quirkiness with moondials and moon phase, but I'd have to do some digging to recall what that was all about. Though, it wouldn't affect a siege clock in any way.

CB periods are:

[​IMG]

*Though, as noted, @Bowen Bloodgood did most of the legwork, I learned it all from him. But I don't think he comes around here as often these days.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What? Did someone say something? I swear I heard something... ;)

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Alley Oop

ha! i couldn't have found it then. i found it now by finding the jira, then noticing that he said he replied in the forum.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Cool cool cool. Thanks! I have a sneaking suspicion that no current dev would actually remember that.

(...also, I'm thinking you might have been one of the group that was trying to work it out that evening? Or maybe I'm thinking of somebody else. It was a long time ago.)

14. Alley Oop

was march 14th. i was talking to you about the above/below the line split, but not running around in game. i just went back and read it

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ha! Yeah, I just found it too. Based on some of the old release announcements, it seems the above/below line thing was just an aesthetic choice and doesn't (currently) factor into anything. Woulda saved us testing a few things to know that at the time.

I've half a mind to be logged in all day tomorrow and double check all the celestial bodies' orbits... but probably not, I have a lot of work to do.

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks everyone. I renamed the Portals page and made room for the cabalists.

[​IMG]

Next I'll start adding the logic.

Time Lord, Anpu and Adam Crow like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Cora Cuz'avich, do you know what the epoch is for the celestial body orbits?

Also, I assume that "orbital period of XX days" is game days, right?

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Do you mean, "where everything was when the clock started?" I believe Bowen worked backwards to determine that at midnight of year 0, all the bodies were aligned with north. Except maybe for that (possible) odd one, which would have been aligned with south. But some of his work predated later changes to celestial mechanics, so when he figured that out might alter how accurate it is.

Correct.

Bowen Bloodgood and Anpu like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Year zero as in game year zero or real year zero?

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Game year. As in, when the cataclysm happened. If that information is still accurate. I didn't dig into that too much. While interesting, it wasn't necessary for what I was up to.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.