Spawn room question and naming convention

Discussion in 'Player Created Dungeons & Quests' started by Kerst Nightshade, Mar 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerst Nightshade

Kerst Nightshade Avatar

Hi all,

I'm just starting out crafting my dungeon and I've hit a bump in the road. I understand the crafting system isn't finished yet and needs more work but this is more a basic question anyway.

I have so far crafted the entrance, and the foyer with 1 exit and I have the materials to progress to a junction next - which I'd like a spawn room to slay critters in. The blueprint room names in game, and the ones on the wiki seem confusing to me, Some are Spawn rooms with a side note (does not spawn creatures) while others are called spawn twice (the spawn spawn room) which say you can place a totem in it.

So my questions are these:
    Is there a definitive list of blueprints available to build a spawn rooms specifically?

Is there a naming convention I'm just not getting?

If I decide to change my totem later down the track Is it a simple matter of picking one up and putting down another type?

Thanks for your advice in advance~

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

3. Kerst Nightshade

Kerst Nightshade Avatar

Thanks Marjoria,
    Yep, found and read through those pages, and watched some videos surrounding the general building of dungeons - But I haven't found anything recent or specific enough to say "The blueprint (and room you should build) to host a totem is XYZ and changing totems is as simple as swapping out the monsters you wish to populate with"

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

most rooms that spawn are currently set up to take a totem of one type, though changing the tier is as easy as swapping it out. there is one that can take either an elf or a troll totem and spawns both at once.

5. Kerst Nightshade

Kerst Nightshade Avatar

Hi Alley Oop,

Thanks for responding - so after blundering around and reading almost all descriptions from the list of known rooms, Am I correct in the following statements?

I cant help but feel there seems to be an inconsistency in the uses of the words "Encounter" and "Spawned" in the descriptions or naming convention when labelling the room blueprints. This may have developed over the course of many years as design ideas change/wording intentions differ between designers or developers.

Id say the easiest way to understand this is to state the room purpose followed by a description, i.e. "Deco Stone Dungeon Room 3x3" or "Kobold Encounter Stone Dungeon Room (Rotunda)" - or ditch the specific room spawn concept altogether "Encounter Stone Dungeon Room (Library)" and make it so any encounter room can spawn monsters based on the totem and level. Hell ditch the word "Dungeon" completely since its redundant as we're talking about player created dungeons so it seems implied.

Far from me to tell people what is good game design and what isn't though - I didn't take those types of classes at Uni.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

oh, we know they're all over the place right now. it's on a long list of dungeon things.

elves
    • The Rise Dog Room w/Spawns
    • The Rise Library w/Spawns

kobolds
    • Stone Dungeon Room Spawned (Random Encounter 1)
    • Stone Dungeon Rotunda Encounter with Spawns

liches
    • Stone Dungeon Room (Lich Boss) w/ Spawns
    • Stone Dungeon Room Owlshead Sewer, Spawned
    • Stone Dungeon Room Spawned (Random Encounter 2)
    • Stone Dungeon Room Spawned (Random Encounter 3)
    • Stone Dungeon Throne Hall (The Fall)

spiders
    • Stone Dungeon Room (Hilt Spider Room with Spawns)

trolls
    • Troll Encounter Room

trolls and elves
    • The Rise Shaft with Spawns

Anpu, Kerst Nightshade and Margaritte like this.
  7. Kerst Nightshade

Kerst Nightshade Avatar

Hi Alley Oop,

Thanks Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for!

For future people my little 1 room Lich adventure dungeon is up and running - the approximate GP costs were in game as of R111:
    Blueprint for the Random Encounter Room 2 - 20,000
    About 3000 in Granite - Roughly 22,000 including raiding my own stores (YMMV)
    100x Lich Essence (Lvl 1 totem) - Ran away like a bandit for 2,000
    Standard foyer and entrance plus various corridor linking rooms - Roughly 3,000

So for a shade under 50,000 gold and no COTOs you can have something similar.

The Random Encounter Room 2 spawns 2x Lich warriors, 2x Lich Archers and 2x Lich Mages from the Lvl 1 totem.

Good luck out there!

8. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

FYI All three Random Encounter blueprints come from loot chests in the Compendium of Pain and Suffering

All spawning room blueprints drop as loot somewhere in the game.

All spawning rooms that have a non spawning deco version can be converted to non-spawning deco or vice-versa by using a discoverable recipe.

All dungeon room recipes are discoverable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.