1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Early Access Schedule Update: Releases 4 - 7

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

YES!!! Contrary to what I thought, it looks like there will be many more pre-alpha releases much like the ones we've been used to. I anxiously await releases 4 and 5 to get some real taste for combat :)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

The good part of that is when they do put in more of the combat, we should have a more stable system. I'd bet if combat went in with lousy server performance, they'd be a bit disillusioned. IMHO

3. AvatarGG

Great! :)

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think that is a fair call out that perhaps they can extend the Founder sale to the end of R5.

Bodhbh Deargh, Aeryk and Baralis like this.
  5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Really interesting.

There is a lot of content and it is fabulous. Drop Items Anywhere is Wunderfull

NICE !

• Death System: OooOoooOOOOooo! Death will now turn you into a ghost. Current thinking about the death system will be shared at a later date.

IM IN LOooOooOooVE !

6. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I think plenty will agree that this has been an amazing experience. The monthly releases keep the excitement level up and give something to look forward to, the openness of the dev team, and a product that is shaping up quite nicely.

Thanks for the release updates Starr!

7. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

I am continuously amazed at this schedule and how well the team is executing.

I share some concerns others have posted about not getting the chance to help test and refine combat sooner. In particular that we will not begin refining combat with other players until 3 months before release. That does not give us much time to iron out issues.

Any road, it is super exciting to see the project coming together!

Edit: To add, super eager to see the player towns implemented. :)

8. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

This is going to be awesome.

9. haselbach

haselbach Avatar

I am a little dubious about the practice of gifting founder pledges to those that haven't, themselves made a commitment to the game. If they aren't willing to support the effort/concept at the crucial time of development, they don't deserve to be called "founders" or stumble into "founder" status once the game takes off and it turns out they like it.

Bodhbh Deargh likes this.
  10. enderandrew

This has been explained a bit in other threads. That wasn't the original intent. It was literally a bug in the website's code that the recipients of gifts were receiving Founder status. After they caught the bug, they weren't suddenly going to yank Founder status from their own backers. So they decided to set an end date for that as well.

I backed the KS literally on day one. I don't necessarily feel I'm entitled to more, nor am I upset if someone else gets Founder items.

They've also distinguished those that did back early will be Royal Founders and have exclusive access to a different color scheme on their Founder items. So they are still exclusive.

Nhili Dragon and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  11. Stoofa

Stoofa Avatar

Very much looking forward to seeing combat in action. From the descriptions and write-up's I've seen, combat is either going to be something quite new and exciting or it will make me cry.
    Either way I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for.

12. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I think that would be reasonable, but they may not agree with that! ;)

warcreep likes this.
  13. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I wasn't able to back on day 1, but I followed as soon as possible after... ;)

I agree that this is a reasonable compromise, but wouldn't be opposed to an extension of that period now one of the more important features has been pushed back... 1 month extra would be nice, I think!

14. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

You host them and we'll be there.

Oh and also: I predict releases 4-7 will have access extended until 10:30AM CST the following Monday.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Too many Mondays.

NRaas, Bodhbh Deargh and smack like this.
  15. enderandrew

I miss Carson.

warcreep, Alexander and Sir Frank like this.
  16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Release is scheduled for now, in October, we are getting the combat system in april and by may the deck building system. thats 5-6 months of testing/design/balance time... once we get to beta is when we'll be able to work on the balance portion of it.

17. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

Combat with other players (PvP) is scheduled for the last week of June. That gives us July, Aug, Sept to iron out any issues. Apologies for not being more clear in my original post.

18. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmm...

Just to be clear : Dueling is planned as part of R7, I agree on that.

However, PvP in general is a much larger balancing issue. Such has not even been officially scheduled as yet, so we may have less time then you noted to test it. :)

Mishri likes this.
  19. Saosis

Saosis Avatar

• Death System: OooOoooOOOOooo! Death will now turn you into a ghost.
    • Interactive Areas: Don’t you wish you could move that chair in the tavern to have a better view of the front door? Public areas like taverns will now be flagged as interactive areas. This will allow more freedom in those spaces by allowing the moving but not taking of items.
    • Drop Items Anywhere: Not content to place object only on player property? Well rejoice because we will now enable item placement anywhere. Some minor constraints and limits will regulate this activity but the main goal is to provide freedom and immersion.
    These make me happy. :)

Kaisa likes this.
  20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

PvP balance is something that is done in beta, and frequently further refined after release. Every game is done that way because of new strategies discovered.

PvP the system itself is relatively simple to implement, it's the balance that is challenging. But you have to have the combat system in place before you can have the pvp system in place. Otherwise it's really a complete waste of time to try to balance for an incomplete combat system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.