1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You call me a PvEer only because I do not fall in line and cheer you on for your demands on pre Tram UO. I am probably one of the more Pro PvP worlds persons here. I just understand that not every one is. I also understand that the Devs thing this way.

The Devs wish to create a system that works for both extremes. It's not going to work for someone that demands an exact replica of pre Tram UO. But I am betting the person that is searching for that cares more about the search than the success of finding that game.

Take a look at my suggestion in this thread https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...nt-thinking-megapost.8247/page-11#post-140638

It may not be perfect but it does cover a lot of concerns that people have posted. It could be said that it is still full loot, with additions of "unknown" qualites to the loot. The looter has to make choices, in a timely manner, between combat tactics and personal interest in a specific loot type.

This game is not finished, they are listening, we could rant and rage, or we could be productive.

Bodhbh Deargh, Ferrus, Ronan and 2 others like this.
  2. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Play both! I know I will, I can never try enough games, But the mass combat looks a mess just like GW2, Fun for a bit but boring after a month, I want a game (SotA) that gives me a random PvP now and again, and then get on with questing with plenty of story to boot, What I don't want is another Continent of the Ninth Seal, Tera or Wulin, So far Asian games have not appealed to me, But I will give it a go, never one to say no.

Lord Baldrith, Ned888 and blaquerogue like this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

+1 Ristra, nice post. Compromise folks, it's the name of the game! *Back to lurking*

4. Eternal Knight

Eternal Knight Avatar

I have read most of these posts and the same comments, data points, issues, views, keep getting said. Mostly by the same core people. That isn't a bad thing and we shouldn't discount someone's views because they are passionate about what they like and want to explain/defend regardless of what side each of us falls on. I want passionate people in this game. They are what will drive it and create it into hopefully the product that hopefully we will all come to enjoy. (Poet's Circle, College of Arms, Ultima Dragons, ect....) This game will hopefully become a game for the players molded by the players. SoTA has done a great job asking for feedback and modifying their path as the community at large was provided their views. I have never been apart of such an involved community and a development team that has taken assets, music, poetry, arms, ideas, the list goes on and on.

Back in UO I remember days where I would just log on and take out my map and pick a city to walk too. I wouldn't use a gate or recall. Just the open road. It was always that sense of adventure and risk that I loved about the game that make it fun. Stopping a long the way to shop at vendors or see some points of interest on the map. Sometimes I would see people and sometimes I would not. There was always that split second when a name popped up on the screen as to whether or not it was time to defend my self. I never really liked the PvP side of the game but I did dabble in it from time to time.

I do like what I have seen from the devs on PvP/Death. I believe it is a good mix and a road map that we will all test. Again, it is just a road map that can be changed. Until we get into testing, I will hold my judgement but to me and "my" play style it looks good so far.

Finally, I guess what I am trying to say is that lets not jump all over each other because we are on different sides of an issue. Too many time when we talk about the 'Hot Topics' good feed back gets diluted by our emotions. Regardless of the sides we are on, can we take a step back and realize that we have plenty of time to provide feedback on systems and modify them. Lets focus on the feedback that can have immediate value and hold certain feedback for when we are able to test out the systems layed out in the OP.

- EK -

Iona, Akeashar, Bodhbh Deargh and 7 others like this.
  5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Only thing is, they are westernising it, that's why It's taking over a year for the language change. Happy theme park.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Endest

Endest Avatar

Well than you could go join the 103 people playing Darkfall online right now if that is your goal.

MMO's cost a fair amount of money to build and run. You are not getting them out of some two man indie team with $12k in credit card debt funding. At some point reality needs to intrude if the MMO is going to stay open for more than 3 months and reality for progression PVP centric games is grim.

7. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I have already done that (Darkfall) SotA is a single player game to boot. What I would really like is to get back on topic :)

8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'd like to know more about blues and reds.

Mishri likes this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Are they still banning and reviewing posts or is this a *special case* scenario! Ive been banned for less! Just saying! im sitting here with jaw dropped! and im feeling a little discriminated against at the moment! And I of all people have maintained quite well so far, and not losing it

Bodhbh Deargh and NRaas like this.
  10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm pretty sure they will clean up this thread at some time.

11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Perhaps you mean "deleting" posts? If you were banned, I don't think you'd be posting right now. ;)

I feel your sentiment though. I think the mods just haven't been over this thread with a fine tooth comb today. Give it time.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Well let be known i was put in time out already just got back on 3 days ago and it said "you are banned" for this amount of time! So yes i was banned from forums :) sorry to those i offended!

docdoom77 likes this.
  13. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

No, you're not. We have heard now about ArcheAge, your enthusiasm for it, and your intention to play it. Further repetition of same will be removed.

/PSA

14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Wow. My apologies. I was wrong. Didn't know they did that! :oops:

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

its all good i needed to break away for a bit! :)

16. Ara

Ara Avatar

Developers seem to seek a middle ground to please the ones that isnt interesting in PvP and that handholding are ruining their PvP game.

Real PvP players dont play games that is from the ground up perfectly suited for the player that ISNT that much interested in PvP and just want to see if it might be fun. Why should we? Why should we accept that developers took our good PvP game away, the game we suggested for more then 6 months and put so much effort into explaining to them. All that went down the toilet. Coming with sollutions now is far to late, i have zero confidence in this developer team after this totally worthless combat and death system was presented, a system they seem to have created to please the PvE players. How can they create a PvP game that dont please the PvP players? Someone must fix that broken fuse.

They can keep their kid game and let the less PvP interested have a go at PvP, the rest of us that love PvP we leave, that sounds like a perfect sollution, dont it?

I am amazingly surpriced that Richard Garriott the founder of UO presented this as their PvP game. It is no risk vs reward and it have no consequences worth the name. It is a PvP game for the PvE players.

Tiggis and blaquerogue like this.
  17. ZhugeLiang

ZhugeLiang Avatar

As long as it is done in a way that I am never "forced" to PvP, I do not care how PvP is set up. This includes not having some of the ideas being tossed around where another player can effect the environment to increase the odds of being able to attack me, like dousing torches at night making me open for attack. Nor making crafting material available only in open PvP areas, I DO like the idea of having those materials available MORE in PvP zones, that's fine as its an incentive to take part in PvP.

Use carrots to get people to PvP, not hammers to force them.

18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

It still amazes me when I see these posts. This game was never going to be PvP-centric, nor was it ever intended to emulate the combat aspects of UO. It's all explicitly laid out in the kickstarter.

Mishri, Aegis159, Akeashar and 3 others like this.
  19. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Working. On. It. I'm logging in via Tapatalk during breaks in the course I'm taking. Not exactly real-time!

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  20. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

We don't LIKE to, but occasionally there are situations that warrant it.

Xandra7 and docdoom77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.