1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

You are not one of us yet you tell us how we reason, Stick to facts please.

As for Roleplaying, for some of us its impossible without freedom.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2. Helicon

Helicon Avatar

I've still not seen much in the way of answers to Acrylic's question above, which gets at the heart of the matter. Can someone oblige?

3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

This was the only thing in the Mega Post that was emphasized in CAPS why? Could we have just as easily read it in lower case?

The only other CAPS is the stab Chris took by describing PvPers as extremists who spam the boards with “FULL LOOT OR GTFO!!1!” was this truly necessary ?

One's Ideas are SPAM....and the others EXTREMELY IMPORTANT (you think people who spent money and were promised a voice will be happy about this ?)

Read between the lines "Avatars" !

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Great question. It had been done in UO with the PvPers (NOT ALL but many) will hate against their prey with name calling, res killing, griefing, foul language towards, belittling language, post pictures on GeoCities of their kills with rude comments, etc. And the list goes on.

That behavior.

I appreciate you asking the question.

5. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

Look I'm all for PvP and would love to see something slightly more 'hardcore' than what is mentioned but that's purely my preference.

But when I look at the bigger picture I can't help but think that Trammel ended up way more popular than Felucca for a reason. That says a fair bit about what the masses want,... In a democracy (or in business, which let's be honest, this is) who is going to be catered to?? The majority.

As for the gear, if this game is even mildly gear based, most people won't be happy losing something in PvP that is somewhat difficult to acquire or otherwise valuable. I don't really like having an emphasis on gear but if it's going to be in SOTA then I just can't see why they would allow full loot. They're clearly going with the something is better than nothing approach in regards to loot. I also think full loot actually deters the PvP-curious or casual PvPers from participating. The more the merrier when it comes to PvP so if having minimal loot encourages participation then I'm willing to accept it.

As I said, personally I would love a slightly more hardcore PvP system but overall I think this looks pretty good. Especially when looking at the bigger picture and seeing that full open PvP full loot just isn't going to please the masses.

6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

UO went from being a Tidal Wave to a Toilet Bowl Swirl if you compare it to the amount of people who gained access to the internet between those years.

7. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Thanks for ignoring my post. Please read it and respond to specifics next time.

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

lemonkey likes this.
  9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

10. ChaosPhoenix

ChaosPhoenix Avatar

I 100% agree.
    If you want to have a open pvp world, you need very harsh penalties for the player killers. This will keep them in check and help prevent them from driving other players away from the game.

11. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Lol. Bitter much?

12. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

I've never really considered myself a role player. I play "me" in my games.

Getting back to the spirit of the main topic - the more I think of *Envy / Midian's* loot timer idea the more I like it. In addition to leveraging a skill it also keeps the player on their toes requiring quick analysis and decision. You'll almost always get something; but it might not always be awesome. And if you get too greedy you risk getting punished for it with a lost opportunity. It's more engaging than just being auto-handed something, being given a small pool to choose from or being able to window shop a corpse. You can throw "chaos" in there as a driver too if you want. It also nullifies the whole notion that anybody else is willfully limiting your looting capability. If you can't loot something, it's because you're not good enough.

As with any system implementation is key of course.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If you want into a store and grab everything you want and trash everything you don't want then on the way out, in the name of freedom, you slap the store owner. That's not freedom, that's anarchy.

Your freedom to do what you want is everyone else's freedom from you.

Mishri, Ragnabrock, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Right now we've got freedom AND responsibility. It's a very groovy time. :p

Time Lord, Mishri, Ragnabrock and 3 others like this.
  15. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

You are going under the assumption that I would be playing as a PKer just cause I have the option. Wrong wrong so wrong, dont speak about what you dont know.

16. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

And for some it's hard to role-play if there is 1000 times more murders then then a world would ever survive.

Then we have the problem that a lot of, not all, the murderers do not even try to role play, that was the case in UO and all open PvP games I have tried.

17. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Yes that is true for most but doesnt have to be an issue, If you would like to know how read the rest of the thread.

18. Sleepcoma

Sleepcoma Avatar

First of all, I am very thankful for this megapost.

From a strictly PvP perspective:

I was a little worried when I saw the option to allow players to separate themselves in offline mode, as this meant fewer people populating the world.
    I was a little more worried when I read the post about the card based combat system, and the idea of introducing RNG elements to combat, but figured it was still too early to judge that harshly, after all gaming is always in need of fresh perspectives and that is a large reason for following this game.

But with this post we also see an unfortunate (for me) statement on intended design for player vs player interaction. It sure looks like the team is being very careful to put PvP in a box, like it is something everyone should fear. There are layers both to distance PvE players from PvP and to reduce the risk/reward for participating in PvP. We've got special zones, a promise that those zones won't hold anything you can't get in PvE, and plenty of reassurances that even if you dip your toe into the shallow end of the PvP pool, the worst case scenario is you'll lose an item or two but they're hoping to give you plenty of outs to avoid that as well. What turns me off so much about this is less the specifics mechanics, which Darkstarr makes clear are not set in stone, but rather the path from which this is being approached. It's one thing to give feedback on specific systems and tweak them, but the likelihood of a grassroots campaign to shift the devs approach is extremely unlikely. They have been well aware of who their target audience is and have put a lot of thought into this.

I would like to see full loot, gear that is easily attainable and needs to be repaired/replaced often to fuel the crafting economy, no special PvP zoning or player segregation, combat that has no hint of RNG mechanics, and an extremely easy way for people to try out PvP.

The lens by which the team is viewing player interaction, combat, the importance of gear, and the important of character progression are steering me to continue watching from the sidelines. Here's to hoping that that changes.

Time Lord, Hettar and docdoom77 like this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You are going under the assumption that "You" means you specifically.

That's not an original statement, it's a description of Anarchy vs Civil Freedom.

Silent Strider and Lady Innessa like this.
  20. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You've said before that even this would not be acceptable. You wanted it to be impossible to PK you. I find that acceptable if you are flagged for murder. I also proposed that anyone aiding and abetting that behavior be flagged as well but folks wouldn't budge on it. This is why the PvP folks feel that the PvE folks aren't into compromising and as a ******** I think that if the term offends you that much that my fellow carebears need to report someone for calling them that, they are embodying the negativity of the term and frankly should stop being such carebears.
    I'm a ******** with a Vanduul polearm. Keep talking. :)

Time Lord, crachazz and Hettar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.