How a Typical Fight Might Look in SoTA

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by magixredux, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magixredux

magixredux Avatar

Your walking along minding your own business, just completing a quest or two nothing much. Just beyond your path you notice another player flagged for PVP kicking cows, even though he has a sword. You think to yourself, man that guy is having some bad luck with his cards and think it might be possible to best him in combat. So you decide to run up and initiate on him, but since no cards were dealt you have zero available spells. First you must attack him and sit back praying to the RNG gods for a decent stun or heavy nuke to really beat this guy up. But all your game decided to generate was "spit", "slap", "throw tantrum" and "surrender". Meanwhile the other guy who was already in combat had been saving up several cards, throws out a giant nuke/stun blows you up in 1 hit leaving you dead. There was literally nothing you could do, because you were unlucky with the spells the game generated for you.

2. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

You should have built a better deck with less junk cards in it. Poorly built decks will always lose....no luck about it.

Seneth Somed, NRaas and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. magixredux

magixredux Avatar

When building a deck the will always be constraints as to which cards you can choose from, otherwise you would put only the best spells. In any one moment during combat there will always be a next best move, similar to a game of chess. In chess you are able to use strategy and logic to try and come up with the best move possible at that time. If it were left up to random luck, your next move would be decided for you based upon rng. Regardless of how good or bad your deck was built, it will always contain ideal spells, and weaker less useful spells at that one time. Your logic and thinking is very limited in terms of "better" or "less junk" because clearly every spell has its time and place, in that "Junk card" could be ideal in one scenario or junk in another.

4. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

1. You can lock some abilities on your bar, meaning that your key moves will always be available (assuming you have enough focus).

2. A properly built deck will almost never deal out a useless hand. If it's even a possibility, you have screwed up in your deck construction. (Or the game makers have screwed up in designing the move-pool, I suppose, but I seriously doubt you'll ever be required to have "spit" and "slap" in your deck.) This is true even in games like M:TG where a third of your deck is resources, which will probably not be the case in SotA.

3. Even if you are dealt a bad hand (which would probably be your fault for putting 10 "throw tantrums" in your deck instead of something useful), you can still maneuver your character, meaning you can take cover or take some other defensive movement for a few seconds until a new hand is dealt. If there are no defensive maneuvers possible, well, that's your fault too.

It's not like deck based combat is some cuh-razy new idea. It's been done before many times, not just in CCGs but in video games. I'm still not entirely sold on having it in SotA, but I'm fairly confident that they'll do a better job of it than you're expecting.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I believe the intent of the "out of combat bar" is also to provide you with a place to put spells you want to use to engage with, so you don't have to wade in with autoattack before you can do anything. That would fail miserably if you were a mage. So you click your "best" baseline, since you can't combine spells to do a combo yet, then you get your combat bar and can start in with the better stuff.

6. monxter

monxter Avatar

Fail assumptions by OP. Deck building is just a different approach to customizing your skill build.

Lähetetty minun GT-I9295 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I loved your little story or scenario haha

What a good story teller you are.

I know it was to make a point, but it did give me a good laugh.

Thanks. I can't wait to watch it all in action when we play, hopefully no spitting allowed lol

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Absolutely right.

Time Lord and acrylic_300 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.