1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Thanks. Btw....I love your bear in your sig. :)

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Tis the symbol of The Order of the Empathic Ursid, Milady.
    I'm contemplating starting a guild of like minded individuals. :)

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Just as long as you PVE types, dont want to get killed types, dont want to lose stuff types dont grief us PVP for getting killed in PVP, then im good with that! I also get scared when 5 or more pkrs roll up on me and the flight or fight mentality kicks in, so there's nothing wrong with being scared! There will be other days. So pick and choose your battles wisely is what i say. If i see that im outnumbered by the enemy i typically run away, if i get attacked while im gathering i dont go there to gather, but i always remember who attacked me, and jot the name down in my "blaque book" :)
    Then when i am skilled enough go find them! Maybe this time they will be alone? Mabe ill be able to sneak attack them and get away killing them! Or maby ill study them and figure out where me and 5 of my friends can find them at! Bottom line vengeance is sweet! I will get them eventually!

Ahuaeynkgkxs and Khloec like this.
  4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Here is my idea for Open PVP and Open Looting, not sure if it's feasible or not though...

Player 1: Suddenly attacks Player 2. Player 1 is flagged as initiator or something similar.

Scenario 1: Player 1 killed Player 2. As initiator, Player 1 don't get any loot.
    Scenario 2: Player 2 fought back and killed Player 1. Player 2 gets full loot (as in he gets everything).

By not getting any loot and getting full looted when killed, players like Player 1 will have second thoughts when killing other players. Also, players like Player 2 won't complain about getting killed because they don't lose anything but they will get everything if they win.

Of course, if Player 1 asks for a duel and Player 2 accepts then the game will ask the terms of the duel. Whether it's full loot or not.

^_^

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

What I do, when attacked in non-consensual PvP in a situation where my death won't have consequences, is to just let the other player kill me as fast as possible without fighting back, so I can rez and get back to actually playing as fast as possible.
    Caveat: looting the other player doesn't interest me in any shape or way. In my mind I equate player looting with real life stealing, so I would never, ever, do it. Consequently, I will never fight for the "privilege".

(What I do when attacked in non-consensual PvP in a situation where my death will have consequences I don't want to suffer is typically to log out, uninstall the game, and put it on my list of games to never play again.)

Beno Ledoux, Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yeah, this is one of the many, broken problems with karma based systems. They favor the PK instead of punishing them. Because they tie the hands of someone trying to be "good."

Crikey and Silent Strider like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There's nothing to be scared of... It's all virtual... to be frightened of the possible fate of an ephemeral representation of some aspect of myself would be irrational. Typically I believe I'm a relatively rational individual.

I simply to not find being attacked unprovoked, looted, being used as a resource to be exploited, or hunting down the avatars of the players who've done so to exact virtual revenge on their virtual representations to be fun. Vengence, hate, fear, are all things I avoid and do not enjoy. Why would I pay for the privilege of experience things I don't enjoy?

I fully appreciate that you do enjoy all of that. Great... I don't understand it, but I appreciate that you do enjoy it.
    I fully support your ability to have your joy built into the game and my only request is that you reciprocate by supporting my desire to be excluded.

Reasonable?

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't think it's as black and white as PvE or PvP and that's it.

It's just the way PvP is done. I don't mind PvPing if I'm ready for it.

I don't mind losing some or all of my stuff if I get beat fairly in a PvP zone fight.

What we don't want is when we're leaving our house to get robbed and all our stuff taken or to be bothered when we're crafting or resource gathering or roleplaying.

Why is that so much to ask ?

Crikey and algumacoisaqq like this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Isn't that the way they propose to do it??

tekkamansoul, Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  10. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

Well, no, but now I don't understand at what side you are.
    I thought there would be meaningful conversations about the possibilities of PvP and how it would be implemented, right? Wrong of course, how silly of me to even think that. I would say this thread is repeating it over and over, but I think that has already being said numerous times now. It is a shame really, this debate used to be interesting for me, but currently it is not. Wish good luck to those staying.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, dont' worry, I'm sure once R6 or whatever release with the first cut at PvP is actually in, we'll see a revival.

I'm sure one side won't be happy and the other will no matter what :)

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Just dont ever attack me in PVP an we will all get along! :) I dont roll up unprovoked on anyone, but if you want to roll up on me go for it i accept the challenge.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would suggest that you just dont flag for PVP, since when you are flagged in essence it is open season on anyone, if you dont like that then you should probably not go there where PVP happens, someone eventually will attack you! Nothing you can do about it in PVP. Sorry man

14. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

That was a specific answer to an idea that would have the attacked player lose nothing. That idea might have been proposed with the intent that everyone be open to PvP, though the person posting it wasn't specific.

I was just pointing that I never engage in PvP against my will, even when it's forced upon me. Attacking me when I'm not in the mood for it, when the game does allow for it, is about as fun and engaging as attacking a target dummy.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. visavismeyou

visavismeyou Avatar

I've tried to read through a good deal of the present thoughts on PVP and death and I'm curious why there is little or no talk on using a form of Karma to flag one as PVP? That is, of course, in addition to the other methods of flagging PVP (going into a PVP zone, taking on a PVP quest, etc.)

I'm really a fan of NPC quest lines granting positive or negative Karma. If your Karma goes too negative, you're flagged permanently PVP. If you do many of the PVP quests, killing players will actually grant you positive Karma. If helping people is against your Karma, then helping people could flag you PVP.

There could be a great deal more involved with tying Karma to PVP status and I think it would really be good!

16. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I realize you're joking, but the point you illuminate is important. Call of Duty is a PvP game (online at least). Everyone who plays it knows that going in, it is the essence of the game. No one would suggest there should be consensual PvP, that is assumed when you enter the genera.

NRaas and tekkamansoul like this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I understand your point, i was just making a statement that, thats just the way it is whether people like it or not in PVP land. That wasnt specifically pointed at anyone. I hated getting ganked all the time when i was a noob as much as anyone. I think the difference was for me personally, it made the game more exciting (had to keep vigilant all the time) and when i found a safe area to do what i needed to do, i trained there and gathered there, until i was high enough to go back and get those people! :) so for me that was part of the excitement! I wasnt a ganker of noobs, but i was ganked and a noob also at one time like everyone has been that had to go through the PVP gauntlet at one time or another.

18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Yep. It is a difference in point of view, with different players having different activities and environments they find fun. Which is why I'm all for PvPers getting what they desire, as long as what they desire doesn't involve either forcing me into PvP or gimping my PvE gameplay for choosing to never open myself to PvP.

As for why I'm quite adamant in it, it's because, for me, a game where I can be attacked by other players without my consent is simply not worth playing. It's what I point whenever the idea of compromise pops up; I'm not going to accept any compromise that involves myself being attacked because, if I can be attacked, the game is simply not worth playing, and thus I have no game at all. And, in the specific case of SotA, thanks to the offline mode, if I have access to more of the PvE content offline than online — perhaps because part of the PvE content online requires opening oneself for PvP — then playing offline becomes more rewarding, and at that point I will simply not play online (the same way I won't ever log into Star Citizen, despite having backed that game).

19. sh0ckthelawyeR

sh0ckthelawyeR Avatar

Ah, suppose I was misinformed regarding the sale of UO to a business entity. However, my argument was not prefaced on that mere fact, as you so claim it to have been. My argument is based upon my experiences and what I've seen through the many years that I played Ultima Online. I was merely stating or requesting, in my own personal opinion, that the game ought not turn out like every other MMORPG and that Shroud of Avatar ought to strive to be as closely related to the original Ultima Online as possible. (i.e.: skills raise by using them not just leveling, pvp system, gathering system, crafting system, etc.) I do thank you for your responses, aside from your condescension. I was just again stating an opinion regarding the direction that Shroud of Avatar takes because once the PvEers start complaining, similar to Ultima Online, the game took a turn for the worse, IN MY OPINION.

blaquerogue likes this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Keep in mind that no one chased anyone away from UO, you simply left because you didn't like the design. I for one was not chased away from UO, i played from the start until about a month ago, i too was ganked on occasion, but didnt let it run me off of a game! I was in PVP with my fighter and a majority of other toons, i fluctuated between tram and fel, although i chose to stay mostly in Fel,I left the game because i was tired of playing it when there are so many better ones out there, at that time i thought this was going to be one of them! Only time will tell. Nothing makes you run off from a game you simply didn't like playing it the way it is designed. Nothing more than that it wasnt what you wanted in a game. The choice was your solely to leave and no one else's. If you didn't want to get ganked in UO then you should've stayed in trammel, its that easy. If you left before trammel came into being then you really missed out on having the game the way you wanted it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.