PETITION: hexmap/dual scale map: PETITION:

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brink1123, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

This is just an instance fest 1000's of hex's on an overland map means lots of entering and leaving instances. Ask for some instanced housing and all you get is RG & Team don't want any instances in the game they want everyone on 1 persistent world I am missing something.
    It needs a full world map to explore they can then add instances (DLC) like all other MMORPG's its how they add new dynamic content to games and expand the world like LOTRO, WOW, ESO etc its not rocket science.

2. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

This thread is starting to devolve into a clone of the other one already taking place here: Not a big fan of the HEX system overhead map
    For that reason and because of the request in the original post, I am backing out of this thread completely. Developers and players can reference the thread linked above for an actual discussion on the topic.

3. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

/Signed.

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

I support the dev decision for a dual scale map

5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

They've already stated it's a budget issue and that creating a seamless world would require ~$20 million just to support that feature. It's a budget issue, and it ain't happening anytime soon (or likely ever, unless they implement a required subscription plan).

This is surely not UO, too. UO was a great game in its own right, but it was very much a "make your own quest" type game. The traditional Ultimas--the single player games that inspired Ultima Online--were ripe with story, and many of those same games featured scaled maps. Granted, that was mostly due to technical limitations of the times, but in a way technical limitations are responsible for the expense of building a seamless world. The isometric worlds of Ultima VII and onward aren't nearly as easy to produce in a truly 3D environment, especially when you're working within the framework of an engine like Unity. The early Ultima games (and especially Ultima IV) proved to us that it's entirely possible to create a great game within the framework of a dual scale map, and SotA's dual scale map has a way to go before it's done. When it's given its 3D makeover and has some life breathed into it, I expect it'll make for a much more appreciable experience.

It's not like we're getting this all over again:

[​IMG]

Kaisa, Sir Cabirus, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  6. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatars! @DarkStarr has addressed the issue of dual scale maps many times. There are budgetary and design reasons behind the dual scale map. I suggest leaving your feedback in Navigation through New Britannia after reading DarkStarr's post.

Time Lord, Seir, majoria70 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.