Stretch Goal Confusion

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by DyNaMiX, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

you don't keep mounts in you backpack they are added to your character profile under mounts so you can choose which you want to add to the UI for use.

2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I could never fit more than sixty horses in pockets personally.

3. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

Wargrim Said;you don't keep mounts in you backpack they are added to your character profile under mounts so you can choose which you want to add to the UI for use.

Shhhh I am trying to convince these folks that I have been walking around with more than 50 horses and one warsteed in my back pack.

Actually, for the first year mounts were kept in the backpack.

4. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

And why does the quote function never work for me?

5. enderandrew

Easier to beat a dead horse in a sack.

6. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

Haha you know it.

In UO I still have my first horse. I named her Leannan, which means sweetheart. When asked why I named my horse Sweetheart the answer was simple. It gets lonely in the Yew woods.

Tarsilion, enderandrew and majoria70 like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It will be a basic in the game. These are special mounts to help with getting the game made. That is all this is. It is fundraising. I'm sure it's easy to misunderstand that when just jumping in but you are right in the middle of it. I want to see this game get funded. It will be unlike so many other games and the coolest interactivity secret passages/secret walls and much more, things games coming out will not have. So that is what we are talking about here, and that is why we are here. Fundraising hopefully to $28 mil or so will add more and more to the game. Anyone not able to or not wanting to put more into it that is all well and good. So welcome to you, we've got a great game coming.:)

Kaisa, Asclepius and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. enderandrew

Do you mind if I borrow that?

I plan on writing in game fiction for SotA. I want to put that in a book somewhere and make it part of New Britannia.

9. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

Feel free to use it, I am sure Leannan will be pleased.

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I still want to see Dragon mounts.

11. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

A more articulate and accurate representation of how I feel. ;)

Lavos likes this.
  12. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

You surely are not the only one and for exactly that reason I for one am done spending money on this. Interestingly enough some of my friends I tried to initially convince to back were much smarter than me: They told me it looks like massive Pay2Win and refused to back. Many of my early forum acquaintances have left or not posted in 4+ months. At this stage I have no reason to look forward to the game. I however do enjoy hanging around the forum.

I also do not understand how people can applaud the purely one-sided risk of the stretch goals and how they seem to forget that mounts were tentatively scheduled as content for episode 2.

Lavos likes this.
  13. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I agree with you here, although the system as you say still makes no sense to me. Thing sis: If you are not right players could play a waiting game, waiting for others to reach the stretch goal for them.

14. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

So how would you feel if episode 2 came along and the stretch goal would still not be reached?

Dean478 likes this.
  15. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

A key point here, and so far it's barely moving.

Let's assume that the current tally of $2960 is based on each player donating the basic $20 to contribute towards the goal, because so far many supporters keep trying to argue it's about the goal no the rewards). That is 148 separate donations. That would mean 148 players of the 116,245 backers. Many of which would have received the news this weekend when a lot of people have free time.

Now that's a very rough estimation. Because we've seen people spending huge amounts so far on pledges and property and players announcing their higher contributions. But that only makes the number worse. Realistically no more than 148 people have pledged so far.

You could then argue further that the exclusivity is having a lesser impact. For mainstream games this sort of cheeky marketing has a huge effect. Tapping into that compulsive consumerism, much like gambling machines and Holiday Sales do. Sometimes I think this game is forgetting it's market. I thought Ultima fans, and "Ultimate RPG fans" were more niche and required less carrots on the stick because they reserve their contributions for what they find a notable cause. In Fact many initially contributing more than they do to regular games. But it seems that is now being exploited.

If they wanted to help players dictate the stretch goals announced, why not offer that in store? There are plenty of items there. What if we could nominate what percentage goes towards what stretch goal? What if we voted on them (Star Citizen). What if the items on the store weren't limited and you can buy them any time and hence reserve your purchase until the global stretch goal is appealing (again Star Citizen)?

16. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

The actual number of backers is much lower. If you add up the numbers in Darkstar's post you get roughly 32000, which does not include guilt pledges and some other thing. The New Brittanian's include forum accounts.
    Of these there are also people having multiple accounts, partly as 1 character slot per account seemed very limiting.

My wife loves horses, so I will poll the number of backers along with the stretch goal tally daily and make a nice graph once there is enough data. WE can then track the progress and use various ways of extrapolating how many days, months or years it will take.

Dean478 likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Because that's revenue they're already collecting. The only way this works, and I'm paraphrasing what Darkstarr said right now, is if the funds are directly tied to the stretch goal.

18. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Revenue they've already collected, but they've also already reached their funding goal. So anything made now should be going to stretch goals right as a surplus, right?

It's not making sense.

Tarsilion likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Look, it's not a zero sum game.

The funding goal is not a magic number that makes everything go perfectly and the world of SOTA spring up from nothing. You can't expect that funding number to be "it". Players (you and I included) want the world. The reality of that requires a stream of money that never ends.

I'm going to say that again so you have an opportunity to get it. A stream of money that never ends.

So you have to get yourself out of the mindset that just because some arbitrary funding number is hit, you're going to get everything you've ever imagined out of a game. I'm not saying that you shouldn't expect the "basics" of what they promised for hitting those numbers, because you should. What I'm saying is that it's an estimate, it's not an exact science, and the devs ideas about what finished means and your ideas about what finished means are probably AT LEAST 2 million dollars apart from one another...so let's cut them some slack about funding numbers.

The beauty of the stretch goals is that the devs are very focused in saying "we need exactly 250k to make mounts".

20. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatars!

I'm just popping in here to leave a friendly reminding to not argue and bicker with each other. If you have a problem with someone, either use the ignore feature or take it to PM.

Additionally, if this thread doesn't turn back on topic or the arguing continues, I will be locking it.

EDIT: I have removed several off topic/argumentative posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.