Want more funding? Add real PvP.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Eldridge, Jun 8, 2014.

?

Do you want HARDCORE PvP?

1. Yes

45.3%
  2. No

56.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldridge

Eldridge Avatar

If Shroud goes live without PvP as a fundamental and DEFINING element of the game, it will quickly lose its core support. All the player housing and crafting in world will not save it. IMHO, it has no chance of lasting without PvP as a foundational part of the game.

I am afraid the lack of information and details around PvP indicates which way it will go. I personally will not fund anymore development without some clarity and commitment to define what I consider to be fundamental game play.

2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

It wont go live without pvp...... RG has to much passion for you be you for that @eldridge.

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

4. Eldridge

Eldridge Avatar

Thanks for the response with good information. The post you have linked is a main reason for my concern. What is describes is not PvP... it describes a PLAN to have "an element of PvP" in the game.

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

First off, welcome to the forums. That linked mega-post has some good info on the PvP design. You can also check out my FAQ.

PvP will be implemented after combat, but it is coming and will most certainly be there before launch.

Mishri, Jivalax Azon and Maka like this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

While PvP is the most important part of the game to me, I don't want them to rush something terrible. The $2M stretch goal is good...everything else they've said needs a lot of help.

Praefectus likes this.
  7. Eldridge

Eldridge Avatar

HARDCORE PvP. Make PvP a CORE part of the game.... not an minor sideshow!

If hardcore PvP is not a fundamental part of game play, this game will just be subpar to dozen other similar titles already on the market.

Let us all have a vote for each dollar we have pledged and see what the results are! Listen to your base!

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Probably going to be a tough sell considering the direction the devs have being following since the start of crowdfunding campaign.

However I do wish you the best of luck. You will find a number of vocal like-minded posters on the forum who will agree with your stance... And an equal number who do not.

It is always good to have something to strive for. :)

Jivalax Azon, Phredicon and Maka like this.
  9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I want PvP. But I really don't want much "hardcore" of anything. I want many people playing the game. I want many participating in PvP. That means being as casual friendly as possible. You can still figure out who the top 1% of the PvPers are with nerf guns.

10. Achillaeus

Achillaeus Avatar

If they focused half as much time to PVP as they do housing it would already be complete. Sometimes i feel like I have pledged to Medieval Housing Simulator 2014.

11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

What is your definition of Hardcore PvP?

The most popular games on the planet are all PvP based, but they have zero penalty for dying. You go right back in the fight. The gameplay of playing against the other players is its own reward, and you don't remove players from the battlefield/game by stripping them of all their items.

If you're demanding non-consent PvP and full loot, then that topic has been debated to death on these forums. The game design here is one of compromise. PvP is a core mechanic. There are even PvP rewards and skills. You're encouraged to participate, and the best crafting mats will be on maps where it is open PvP for everyone. Not to mention that rival guilds can declare war on each other and have open PvP with each other as much as they want.

But you can't grief the new player and steal all their stuff when they're not able to defend themselves and aren't interested in PvP at that point.

Do I enjoy challenging and tense competition against other players? Yes. Do I want to encourage griefing with non-consent PvP and full loot? No.

And the argument that it brings money into the game sadly doesn't hold true. SotA is being developed by people who know first hand it was killing UO, which is why it didn't even last two years. The world split happened 18 months after launch, which means likely a few months after launch they realized it was bad and started working on a system to fix it. The single most popular game I can find with this model on the market has 10,000 active daily players, which pales to games with millions of players that don't penalize people for trying PvP nor encourage griefing.

There is a Kickstarter right now for a UO clone with non-consent PvP and full loot. And it is dying on the vine and won't be funded. The market has spoken repeatedly. There is little to no money in that.

Programmers working on implementing combat systems aren't held up by artists making house models. These items are not fungible. One does not come at the expense of the other.

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

Im sure HARDCORE pvp could be a CORE part of my game and yours if its all done right. But it wont be the CORE part of the game for many other people here.
    We'll see what happens.

Silent Strider likes this.
  13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Moved to appropriate sub forum.

14. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah I don't see them launching without PvP. And I'm sure they'll give it the time it needs for us to playtest and balance and most importantly be fun. I have no doubt the PvP players and community at large will be vocal about that :)

Jivalax Azon, Lord Lorimus and Maka like this.
  15. Maka

Maka Avatar

Home > Forums > Shroud of the Avatar General Forums > Game Features > Skills and Combat > PvP > Angry Rants :)

Love me some PvP!!! You know... from afar... very far.

Those of you that have so much passion for it I hope you get what you want or at least can find a happy medium with the rest of us. As long as it doesn't mean tons of open markets selling hacked off body parts and "meat" pies.

[​IMG]

Jivalax Azon and Noctiflora like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would need a definition of Hardcore PvP prior to entering my 1200 votes.
    If you mean to remove consent and force everyone into PvP contrary to the game design as stated from the Kickstarter campaign rward, I would vote no, as my only requirement for PvP is that I be able to opt-out.
    If, on the other hand, you intend "Hardcore" (Whatever that means to you) PvP within the community of PvP enthusiasts, I will not vote as I really have no opinion on the subject, and think the PvP community should be able to petition for whatever they desire.

17. Cabrens

Cabrens Avatar

Given the trend showing on the poll, i fear you guys will have to "vote with your pocket", buying LB scalp and meatpie sets for 100 USD to reach the 500,000 USD goal before game launches. We know you can do it! ;)

Maka likes this.
  18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Potato, Potatoe. PVP will be in the game. What people might consider PVP, or want as PVP, may vary, but the plan has been announced and by definition there will be Player Vs Player content.

No one is forcing anyone to fund, so feel free to to hold onto your money if you are not happy the announcement. There is a lot that is unknown since the game is still being developed. You always have the option to buy the game after launch.

Jivalax Azon, Silent Strider and Maka like this.
  19. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Another PvP thread *sigh* I always thought there are enough of them already ;)

20. Tane Mahuta

Tane Mahuta Avatar

PvP is only a part of the whole - This game is as much about single player quests (offline RPG) as it is about multiplayer and RPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.