The PvP Thread

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Jack Knyfe, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Since LB/RG has stated that you can throttle the number of people who have visibility to you, if you restrict it to your friends, or friends of friends, it's unlikely any of your friends are going to gank you. If you want to live more on the edge, throw that throttle wide open, and let the chips fall where they may.

Both segments of player are happy, then. It just depends on how much risk you are comfortable in accepting.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think they need to have a customization screen for multiplayer. Include settings for all types of different things. Since there can be people throttling and sounds like some intelligence will be used for selecting who comes into your wold, just add a PVP setting. Users without a PVP Yes option will never be in the world of those with it set to No. I love PVP but killing people that don't is not fun.

This could be a setting you could turn on and off, so you could play unhindered by PVP if you are not in the mood. Something like this would allow open-pvp everywhere for those that want it.

It could also be used for other things like type of play style, locale, etc. so you can have a multiplayer experience more personally tailored.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Liquorice

Liquorice Avatar

This game should be just like the early days of UO.... Murder counts, bounties, crafting, vendors... all of it.

Don?t like PKers?? go get a group of friends and take them down. Don?t want you horse killed? Don?t ride one. Don?t want your million dollar check looted?? don?t carry it around.

Like one of the other posters said? UO was the only game to give to ever me and adrenalin rush and I miss it.

Safe zones? cities only.

Grave yard? x-roads?. Sweet memories.

4. Eoghan

Eoghan Avatar

"I love PVP but killing people that don?t is not fun."

That does not sound like a person who loves pvp talking, not open pvp anyway. I played UO for months before I ever attacked an innocent. In that time I wasn't a threat to anyone yet every encounter I had with a player was possibly a threat to me and it was exhilarating. The random aspect of EVERY encounter with a new player is what's great about the open pvp system. You destroy that by having pvp flags.

I don't understand how this could be a game about player choice if you limit player actions from the start.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

A thought has occurred to me regarding the PvP risk/reward ratio in SotA, assuming we get full contact PvP. As I have mentioned before, one of the problems with murderers in UO was the ease with which one could escape the administration of Player Justice at the hand of the Anti-PK. The PKs could make a pass through an area, kill off a few helpless miners or lumberjacks, and then Recall any where liked. Even in the middle of a fight with Anti-PKs, it wasn't that hard to escape via Recall. Teleport to the edge of the screen, and before the Anti's could close again, pop off a Recall.

In Shroud of the Avatar, what is to prevent a PK from dropping from the 2D map into a point of interest, kill someone already low on health from a mob, dry looting their victim, and then popping back to the 2d map and moving a few hex squares away and disappearing. In effect, he's just achieved a poor man's Recall.

Something for the Dev's to consider as they ponder how best to implement PvP in SotA.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I think it is quite funny when Anti-PKs get involved. Only slightly more than a challenge than taking down some silly RP crafters. Think of them as a militia, against an army. Some roman infantry, against Spartacus. They really have no chance, even if I am hunting easy kills by myself.

Anti-PKs think that numbers help them, they oft get confused in battle, attack each other by accident, have internal strife and typically only stick to very limited areas due to numbers. I can go anywhere I want in a short period of time and begin killing others before they even get to the last place. UO?s Recall made PK unbelievably sweet.

Some games I do hunt with a wolfpack, but I only wolfpack with guys I know IRL. Can?t trust anyone you meet online, if I don?t know them in person, I don?t PK with them.

Really by the sounds of it, Owain is just like me, I think he is a PK in the closet, and needs to come out. Don?t pretend to be a sheep man. We?ll compare kill stats after the game comes out.

7. Gumpo

Gumpo Avatar

I spent 90% of my time in UO either PvE or crafting, but i 100% want non-consensual PvP all the time and everywhere. It adds to the role playing experience much more than it takes away... except maybe a few sales. I'm hoping the team reads these forums and decides for sure on what to do before the kickstarter ends, because if they don't, i'll likely dramatically reduce my pledge in fear of SotA becoming a new Trammel.

8. Wreatch

Wreatch Avatar

If there is not ffa full loot pvp this game fails already, just sayin.

9. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Full PvP is the most important part in the game for me.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

"Really by the sounds of it, Owain is just like me, I think he is a PK in the closet, and needs to come out. Don?t pretend to be a sheep man. We?ll compare kill stats after the game comes out."

Not a sheep. A Sheep Dog.

See the essay in another thread, where I post "We Love Our Sheep, We Dogs of War."

Time Lord likes this.
  11. knightnuada

knightnuada Avatar

What if any damage done to another player as a max of 10% of that players health? New players have a protection to allow them to get away and makes PvP more of a drawn out process ?

The Faction option is good - Don't limit it to Faction A and Faction B, have several factions, some are going to be at war with each other regardless, others can be influenced to side with another, making war/ peace so that we can have
    diplomat quests. In terms of Guilds (Player Groups), the players can choose to be part of the Faction or not but can't aid their Faction'd Guild Mates if they're in PvP (Similar to flagging) and Guild players can't be in warring factions.

Hope that made sense!

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

With respect to new players, I think it would be better to not have them attackable at all until they achieve a certain skill level or time in game, but I'm open to negotiation on that. I just don't want to have a new players first experience in the game as they are trying to figure out how to play to be getting killed right off the bat. Perhaps the best way to avoid that would be to have a tutorial in Single Player Online Mode. Then the person could wander about a bit, get used to the interface, try combat on a few mobs, and so forth before being thrust into OPO, if that is their choice.

For Factions, I would prefer not to have any game restrictions. You want factions, organize your own faction. Some will be friendly, some will be hostile, some will be neutral, some will be mercenary, some will betray, the list goes on.

If you limit it so a game function, that is the only way a feature can function. If you leave it to the players, the possibilities are endless.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. flashburn

flashburn Avatar

Quote: I just don?t want to have a new players first experience in the game as they are trying to figure out how to play to be getting killed right off the bat.

Too bad that was a fun experience for me and many others in UO.
    Why don't you give up trying to make rules and flags and restrictions just let the game be open?

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

The tutorial can be strictly optional then, for those with a death wish. Most folks, if you can believe what you hear in the chat channel, still have post traumatic stress syndrome flashbacks from their first encounter with a PK, but I think they might be exaggerating.

But I am not the one proposing harsh game limitations. I'm an Anti-PK, the guy who wants open PvP/full loot, and the ability to dismember corpses, and collect heads, and make people jerky, just like we could when UO first went live.

You must have me confused with someone else.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. flashburn

flashburn Avatar

I still remember my first PK death.
    I logged into the game and decided to skip the newbie zones and run straight into the forrest.

Up comes a dude named Brother Justice with a red name. Next thing I know I hear *corp por* and boom, I'm dead.

When I stopped laughing hysterically, I called my friend on the phone and he came over. *corp por* and he was dead.

Fun times, I think we spent 2 hours trying to kill him. We almost got him once.

Next week he opens a huge store in the woods outside trinsic with all the starting 100 or 200 gold he got from the noob kills.

We pretended to be his new recruits, worked at the store for 30 minutes and recalled out with everything we could get our hands on and then gave it away for free to the noobs coming out in the woods where he used to gank.

16. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

No nub protection, everyone I come across should be kill-able even those who started yesterday after I've been playing for 2 years.

17. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I posted this on another PVP thread. This is just a hot topic but I think its worth stating in all the conversations:

<blockquote cite="Umbrae">There is an interview with Stratics where LB states he does not want open pvp and does not like flags, so it sounds like PVP will be enabled between 2 people on a quest type basis.

I.E. You get quest to transport illegal products which flags you open for PVP. At the same time, another player gets a quest that someone is transporting illegal goods and must be stopped.

I think this idea is good to help transition players that normally don?t PVP into PVP, but I would like to see an option for those that want more PVP. This might work if there is a LOT of content quests for PVP, but I think we all need to understand LB vision and desires for the game and find ideas that mesh and have the greatest ability to make everyone happy.

Although, LB doesn?t like flags I think that a flag in the filter is the greatest middle ground. Just because PVP filter is off; doesn?t mean player won?t find themselves forced into via a quest.

Can?t wait to get more information.</blockquote>

Time Lord likes this.
  18. knightnuada

knightnuada Avatar

Let's look at it another way with the Factions, let's call them Criminal, Law and
    Neutral. You can either be with one faction or be alone.

Criminal and Law can PvP each other, Criminal can also PvP/ PK the "lone wolves".

Nuetral can't be attacked, nor initiate combat. New players can have the option to either be either faction or none, thus giving them the protection if they want it.

Changing or leaving the Factions can only occur after a set timer of actual on-line play has occured/ quest completed or other "penalty" allowing retribution to take place.

19. flashburn

flashburn Avatar

Too much like wow. No factions. Reputations.

20. knightnuada

knightnuada Avatar

Fair enough, just throwing idea's around.

If PvP is going to occur via quests, there should be a major reward for
    completion (so that casual/ non- PvPers can't turn their noses at it), not
    necessarily epic or the best reward in game but close enough. Run it through
    areas that PvPers/ PK's can operate freely so that they don't have to be on a quest to participate.

Have it work both ways so that both (to use UO terms) Red's and Blue's can
    either hunt each other or those on the PvP quests/ protect those on the PvP quests.

As long as the area's large enough and there are several such "Frontier Law" area's it should give plenty of scope?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.