The PvP Thread

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Jack Knyfe, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

As one of the larger elephants in the room, I know many of us will want to know how this is going to be handled.

As for myself, I would prefer that PvP be restricted to certain areas, and for PvP to be an optional mechanic for gameplay. I have been playing MMOs since UO:T2A, and open-world PvP has always been something that I disliked.

Now, I know that there are hordes of people who do not share my opinion, and they are welcome to disagree with me. However, a solution that is agreeable to both sides of the issue would be best.

Let it begin!

2. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

Open World PvP is the only way IMO non-consensual PvP is what made UO last so long, as well as housing and character depth. Do I think that you should be "running scared as a noob" NO! I do not, but on the other hand RG is make the "Ultimate RPG" and my role is a Murderer..There should be restrictions where I can murder because of guards and etc. But not game based like A has to accept B to be attackable..too candy "care bear" landish for me personally.

3. horace

horace Avatar

Although I do enjoy the dangers of Ultima Online... when I go onto a 'free' server now its a constant gank fest and dungeons are constantly packed by Pk's.

I'm sure Richard saw how Trammel begun the destruction of Ultima Online's risk in gameplay but at the same time it helped attract more players... so a good balance is a must.

4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

(quick aside: I apologize for creating this in the wrong forum. Thanks for moving it to the appropriate location)

5. solanthus

solanthus Avatar

I agree that there should be respite from PVP. But, if you decide to not add that "risque" factor the the game, it trivializes the content. Any dungeon, after a certain point, is going to be little more than a grind, or a certain type of strategy will be required to beat it (ie bard charming mobs in high level dungeons in UO). This was always countered by the fact that any encounter with another player is a challenge and a battle of wits between two serious forces. The fact that you would also drop your items made it even more risky and of course rewarding...

A balance has to be found, but if you can play this game and access all the content without being exposed tom the possibility of someone trying to gank you.. it will fail to be realized as the game it could be.

If you compare EVE Online to WoW, they are both very successful but for very different reasons, and they attract very different player bases. However, I would be willing to bet that in 10 years EVE will be still going strong and with many new features and gameplay. WoW, if it is still around, will still be the generic, ridiculously easy game it has been ever since they pretty much tanked non-consensual pvp.

6. Simon

Simon Avatar

Open PvP is an absolute must. I should be able to attack you anywhere and at anytime. To combat griefing there can be simple but effective tools in place like an Arrest Warrant for attacking anyone with 10% less skill points than you. You can pay off the guards or rott in jail for a little while. Now you can still take a job as an assassin but demand that your bribes to the guards also be payed.

The focus should be role playing not pampering.

7. Thoth

Thoth Avatar

Well, another vote here on NOT having Open PVP but making it player-optional. Perhaps non-PVP servers or instances. I, as a Player, like to focus on questing. I certainly am ready for combat against in-game Players. And, I often do like o PVP in an arena atmosphere against other Avatars. But what I really, really hate about PVP is the interruption to an immersive storyline when some Player decides he wants to PVP with you just at the point where that's really the last thing you want to do. Just IMHO.

8. gildedgoose

gildedgoose Avatar

I'm in the non-open PVP camp. I play games for enjoyment and being forced to adventure with a group or having to watch your back constantly takes away any enjoyment for me. Nothing wrong in my opinion with ppl who can designate themselves as PVPable and partake in PVP but for me I'd much rather not have to deal that aspect of the game.

Group PVP events on the otherhand can be fun but in my opinion that's a different sort of PVP althogether.

9. Options

Options Avatar

Without open PvP this game will flop. To this day I have 20+ ultima players on my AIM and none are interested in this game without open PvP. Do more to control griefing, perhaps even have a safe dungeon or two... but the current method you seem to be taking is going to remove the thrill from the game. Npcs are way to predictable.

10. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

I'm siding with open PvP.

Yes, dealing with griefers sucks. But the risk of getting screwed over by real players gives the game more depth, more meaning. There's only so much fun one can get from killing NPCs, using the same combo, over and over again (WOW instances, their arena was alright)

I think in order to win people over from the consentual PvP world to an open PvP world is to...

Make PKing harder

Death by two flamestrikes suck. Make PKers work for their kill. Make it a battle, not a gank. This at least gives the victim a chance to escape, or even kill the PKer. PKers would think twice of attacking another player if they knew they had an equal chance of dieing.

11. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

Maybe equalize everyone's hitpoints.

So when it's PvE, a players HP can increase from 100 to 100,000.
    But when in PvP, all players (PKers or noobs) have 1,000 HP
    Player damage/protection will be based on skills and equipment to add in a slight advantage when PvPing.

This at least gives a noob a chance to fend off his PKer, or run for help.

Please don't give us death by 1 flamestrike/arrow/slash.
    Make it a battle.

12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Hello, i love open-wild-savage PvP like its was in UO. I think players can get safes few zones for banking or social events. Just like UO :)

Tx and having fun ..

13. Journeyman_Lumberjack

Journeyman_Lumberjack Avatar

I like the idea of equalizing PvP, at least to some extent.

Highway bandits in real life (by which, of course, I mean "in Hollywood movies") have often had to rely on the element of surprise and strength in numbers. While that still allows for some amount of griefing, it'd at least mean that mass-PK:ing would have to be organized; it wouldn't be just one person 1-hit-killing every newbie that walks through the forest.

14. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

Banding up to PK, that's kind of like social-gaming.

I just don't like the idea of 1 hit kills, make people work for their loot (even if it's coming from a noob)

No one likes weight-mismatch boxing or UFC fights, so let's equalize every players "weight" when it comes to PvP.

15. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Avatar

Open PvP and full loot is what MADE UO the best MMORPG ever made. No other game has had better PvP than UO. Players banded together to hunt down murderers, players could play as a thief, there was packs of murderers that would try to get you on the roads.

This is what created the amazing community early UO had before the introduction of Trammel, which as far as any old UO player will tell you was when the game got stale and lost its charm.

Without open PvP and full loot this will just be another choice in the stagnant, uninspired MMO market.

Ultima Online did it right the first time, and that's why a lot of us are coming back to donate. We all still hold on to our memories of UO and wish we could go back in time to play it during its glory days one more. This is our chance, please pay an appropriate tribute to the original UO and its fans.

16. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Avatar

It created a real sense of community that is completely lacking from the extremely casual MMOs from today. You knew your friends had your back, there was real danger, and it was the most open sandbox MMO ever created. Please don't make this into another rinse and repeat quest based MMO with battlegrounds. I'm putting my trust in you because UO was the best PC gaming experience I've ever had.

17. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

After hearing all the live streams today, there doesn't seem to be an indication of any "open pvp", partially because its not an mmorpg. To imply that the game is a failure without open pvp is silly because this is sounding like a single player game with multiplayer features. It's not being touted as an open ended world where players need to make up their own fun like in UO. It sounds like a story-driven game with built-in challenges written for you, and you can choose to face those with other players if you so choose. They've said many times this is not mmorpg.

If it was true that a single player game holds no interest, no challenges, simply because another living player can't come and kill you- well, I would have saved a whole lot of money and time because those hundreds of single player or co-op games I've played over the past 25 years would not have existed. Thankfully, single player or co-op play is great fun on its own, and btw, is what made Ultima a success.

They indicate that people who wish to partake in PVP can do so - either by becoming a target through some nefarious deeds, or being the person to challenge said target if you think you can take 'em.

I can understand the desire to feel that risk of attack while wandering - but if you are the one wishing you could beat the crap out of other players that are NOT looking for that gameplay... eh, sounds pretty childish to me. People who enjoy matching skills with others can do so willingly and have all the fun they want at it. And thats something that even non-open-pvp people would enjoy getting into once in a while.

18. solanthus

solanthus Avatar

Have to chime in with everyone else in this thread.. I hope the developers of this game are aware that UO would never have been the success it was, if the pvp aspects of the game did not create quirky situations on a daily basis..

You take a look at the other MMO's out there.. most of them are generic and stale. Nothing ever happens that you would consider to be "outside the box". Yeah, maybe your buddy Fred had 3 unique items drop in one hour, thats about as exciting as it gets, and its still well within the confines of the "box" of those games.

If you really think gamers are waiting for this game hoping that NPC dialogue and storytelling are so amazing that will hold their interest.. you are guaranteed to fail. If I wanted an RPG with a good story, I would read a book or go buy a console RPG like Final Fantasy.

During the livestream today we saw alot of mention of how the game is going to be interesting for gamers because it will be more role-playing based, what you do not understand is that no amount of NPC dialogue is ever going to hold a players interest, especially given the rather stale graphics the game will have.

So, at the end of the day, you can hope that you have such an awesome DND adventure laid out that people will be blown away (so unlikely I have to sigh), or you can do what you know will make the game interesting and unique- open world PVP, looting of corpses, and genuine player interactions beyond "hey lets group up to do this instance".

Here's hoping you arent another one of these developers that has such an ego about their 'elite design approach' and 'awesome game storyline' that they think it will carry the game. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you are the brainchild of the Ultima series. People will play what is interesting and exciting and gives them a new gaming experience every day, and NPC dialogue, instanced PVE, and "safe zones" only draw away from this.

Lets not forget about the other excellent game titles coming out in 2014... the competition will be stiff.. how is this game going to stand out?

19. Teden2158

Teden2158 Avatar

All PvP haters in this thread looks like they either never played UO before. Especially things like - "but if you are the one wishing you could beat the crap out of other players that are NOT looking for that gameplay ... eh, sounds pretty childish to me". Any way, maximum what we will get is "arena system", understandable. If you ask me - Open PvP is what made UO the best game ever exist. Once upon a time I had a friend, who use to be one of the richest men around Sosaria, he never go more then 5 tile from the Britannia Bank. His internet connection is not even allowed him to kill The Mongbat, so all he could do it just about selling thing, he use to have one of the best collection of rares I ever seen and what most important he never cry.

20. Haddy G

Haddy G Avatar

In the videos LB said pvp wont be wild west like UO. He mentioned something about being flagged for pvp doing certain quests so other players had to try and stop you from completing the quest. Sounds interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.