1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

I have to take your word for after Trammel, but understand if I don't have a lot of faith in it. I had lots of faith in what I read about UO before it was released from Richard and many others. I was excited to be able to explore Britannia with my brother and friends from around the world (I was in Japan at the time). Have duels, fights for honor, defend parts of the world from other players invading, and many other possibilities. What I found was a wasteland, no real story to become a part of, and what little lore was there you had to wade through countless people who attack you for no real reason other than their entertainment. FPS type environment took over my beloved Ultima universe and held non of that universe as valuable as I did. I felt robbed. So I put it away and didn't play again until I got back to the US. I tried again but with a different point of view, and I played their game. After awhile I found it meaningless and shallow, and PVP was unrewarded for the reasons I've already stated.

I suspect post Trammel changed because you could get away from pvp, regear up, get backup gear, and get back to pvp when you are good and ready. In essence forcing others to wear comparable gear (because gear has to matter, even if the difference is minor) to compete.

In essence, I want the UO I was promised back in the mid 90s. The one I didn't get because it was overrun by pvpers who didn't seem to care about Britannia and we're just into easy kills. And because of that experience I don't believe I will get that without rules built into the game that hold people to playing on equal grounds. Pvp should have a reason that makes it part of the world, I don't believe in pvp for the sake of pvp. I don't want to deny the ones who want it, but I also don't want my pvp to be lessened because of it (again, gear should matter, and there should be rare gear.. Imo). I'll pvp in the hexes, I'll duel, fight in arenas, and likely flag for open on occasion. And I'm quite willing to enter the field of battle with hard to aquire gear and make myself a target for it, I just hope the person who defeats me has the same fortitude to wear it and risk losing it back (and since I don't trust they will, I'd like some mechanic, no matter how unrealistic, that forces them to risk it).

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

QFT

Silent Strider likes this.
  3. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

Not gonna happen.

4. Ara

Ara Avatar

UO Pre-trammel was a completely different PvP game compared to what it became with UO Renaissance. Pre-trammel was loads of wannabe PvP players and PK:s that mainly killed the easy targets like gatherers and new players. They deserved trammel since they were the ones what forced it to come.

UO Renaissance was and will ever be the hardcore version of UO PvP. It was consensual, huge risk vs reward and demanded alot more player skill in PvP then what pre-trammel PvP demanded. PvP was balanced in a way it never were pre-Renaissance where mages was the only competible character. After Renaissance was implemented melee characters was as strong if not stronger then mages. Many so called good pre-trammel PvP players left UO after Renaissance cause they just couldn't compete against the really skilled and battle ready PvP players. Always killing the easy targets like gatherers and new players don't develop your skills.

I see affinity as a thought through way by developers to remove full loot from the game. It was a developer choice and it say a lot about what direction they want to go with risk vs reward and what type of PvP players they want in their game and it is definetly not the old UO PvP crowd that played UO Renaissance with easily replaced gear and a combat system that took loads of player skills and you had access to all skills all the time. Ransom is close to UO Age of Shadows insurance, Age of Shadows expansion was what killed UO felucca and implementing a loot system here in SotA close to what killed off UO felucca tell me developers isnt interested in trying to please the old UO PvP players and deliver to them a PvP game they are interested in, rather the contrary.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I disagree. I believe it is happening around us, right now.

6. Ara

Ara Avatar

I fully understand you felt robbed when playing pre-trammel UO. It was a horrible PvP game compared to UO Renaissance both when it come to risk vs reward and the player skill needed to compete well.

To compete well in UO Renaissance you needed to have alot of gear since without it you couldn't compete.

There were rare and hard to find gear in UO Renaissance and that is just fine and wanted.

kronides, Abydos and blaquerogue like this.
  7. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

I apologize, the last time some said qft to me they were not politely telling me to quit talking... And at a glance I assumed that is what you meant. I agree, it does look like Portalarium is working towards that goal.

8. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

Easily replaced gear (and I'm not talking quality of gear in combat) hits at one of the 2 main reasons for PVE. The other being storyline, especially how their character can be a part of the storyline. I say make comparable gear easily replaceable, but there still needs to be rares, uniques.

And I like the idea of affinity, being able to have gear I've left a mark on. I also don't have a problem losing it in a fight, on occasion, but the concept is destroyed if it can be lost in every fight. That is why I've made a couple suggestions for looting, I support ideas like Ristra's, and I've seen a few others that might work. All probably need some serious tweaking. I'm all for giving you the option to loot my affinity sword, but it should cost you (like it is the only thing you can loot, and it should be broken needing to be repaired before you can even sell it to a vendor... Another player is fine, if they are willing to deal with a broken item).

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yeah i also liked the idea Ristra made about loot. Think it is the best compromise so far. Well as i see affinity it is going over the top towards gear based PvP and it complicate and in many ways disqualify discussing loot since it most likely will be a gear most don't want to loose and won't bring to the PvP game.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i did say if that armor was better (in my case) i want it so i would be wearing it, or maybe ill have an uber weapon or something, but if its better than what i have (if provoked) i will take it :) I understand the delima there. but you know if your going to wear it be prepared to lose it eventually when someone bests you, or just wear something else in dangerous areas.

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I understand the situation, but if you dont wear your best stuff you may get wasted cause the other guy is. I liked this because i respect the opinion.

Abydos and Ara like this.
  12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

It would be nice if there was a loot 'drop/sale' timer which was full RL time that had to be spent in game, no logging out to run down the timer.

PvE loot could be dropped off in the bank, house or sold immediately, PVP loot in guild wars in 30 mins, PVP from random encounters couldn't be gotten rid of for 1 hour, stolen items for 3 hours.

I'd do full loot with ease if this was the case. A guy could get dry looted and come back to get his stuff and it would still be there! A PK or thief would also fill up quickly which would cut down on their looting speed a bit. They could still kill you but if their inventory was full then your stuff would be safe.

The only annoyance I would have with this was the cowards who would run off and hide in their houses. If they got to town, then the guards might be able to get your gear for you ( ransom system could work for this instead).

Look at that! Another full loot compromise from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

And that is exactly how I view things. But my experience with UO showed me I was an exception. I felt like I was playing a game, got top position and got $10. Some guy comes along and knocks me off the top and wins $100, the $10 I won and then $90 more out of my pocket. I practice, come back and knock him off the top and win back the $10 I won in the first place because he put the other $90 in the bank. I'm willing to lose, but I only want to even play against others willing to lose just as much.

And win I see you wearing my gear (that you obviously won through some sort of fluke ;-)) I'll respect the fact you are giving me a shot at my gear. Then proceed to throttle you lol.

blaquerogue likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i got ganked so many times when i first started uo for leather armor and wood and my axe! lol then they cut that up in front of me (leather) I almost quit but i found others that had the same hatred and we formed a 30 man pk hunter guild! 30 disgruntled individuals with KOS (kill on site) orders for all red! lol those were the days before trammel! the best part was when the reds finally learned to run from us!

15. Ara

Ara Avatar

Problem with this is that it will force players to stay online if they want to bank what they looted. Otherwise i like the idea since it will give the one killed an option to get back what he lost. Shorten the time a bit and it would be easier to implement i think.

16. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yeah i like gear to matter in PvP but not be the decider who wins or loose. I think UO Renaissance got it right with their type of rare gear. A guy with less good gear could win if he was the one with better player skills.

Affinity i don't think will bring anything good to the PvP game.

17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

You're right! That's the idea! If you want to steal someone's stuff you have to stay online and wait it out, otherwise you shouldn't take it! That's the risk to get the reward. Let's face it, the combat alone isn't always that much of a risk.

Make no mistake, quite a few people consider full loot stealing, even if it's a fair fight and not a sneaky PK attack. This would force the looter to hang in game so the loser has a chance to fight for their gear back. It would also stop PKs from killing and banking over and over again. It would slow them down.

I can't imagine any legit PVPer would be mad about another opportunity to fight, especially if it's to keep the stuff they just earned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  18. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Compromise, compromise, compromise ....

Let the people choose.

Alot of people wan Full Loot.

If I want to put myself in Full Loot flag,

this is my problem/choice and not that of others.

Anyway, portalarium will find a solution :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. kronides

kronides Avatar

It was the only game there was. Times were entirely different and there are lots of games now, which precisely is why early UO will never happen again. Ever. Sheep just won't play those games now that there are choices.

EDIT: What Dhailen said above. Didn't read through the thread before responding to the one who quoted me!

20. kronides

kronides Avatar

I'm not mad at all man, speak up if you have something to say!

<3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.