SotA - Recommendations to DEVs regarding PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by psychlo, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

PM a link to the thread so I can take a look...

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

One thing I would like to recommend to the devs (since that's the point of this thread...), how about some of the other elementals being less noticable in the dark than the fire elemental.

One good exchange for the powerful fire elemental was that it was a beacon for hunters to come kill the guy sanding idly by with this big fire basically branding a target on them from half way across the zone. Maybe not all of these elemental should be so noticeable in the dark to make the other skill trees have a different strategy. Maybe Air elementals can use the gust of wind to quickly stun and use a non stunning lighting attack (like the fire elemental didn't interupt spells or have a DoT), but to make up for it's lack of constant damage it could be less visible at a distance. It's just a thought. Whatever happens is fine.

majoria70 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

A game where people can attack me without my consent are utterly worthless to me. Wow bro! That makes sense and that's your opinion! You must be an old timer. Allow me to convince you otherwise. Say that you are a regular play who doesn't talk any smack and have no enemies in game. Due to the fact that you play for fun only. people like you and no one ever attacks you. One day a guy strolls by... "Hey whats up bro?" you don't reply because your afk. He kills you and loots you. (worst thing that can happen in that situation) That guy will now end up in jail for a long time when he is defeated. So you took a small blow due to the mistake of being afk and lost a few things. That guy will have to wait over a week in jail (according the the system I made up) just to get out with pvp disabled for him. The rule states that you have to wait out half of your sentence in jail before getting out early.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

The current system could be different and more complex without ruining it for everyone. I proposed an idea that supports this claim.

In exchange for enabling pvp throughout Britannia serious jail sentences are in order.

TemplarAssassin and Time Lord like this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Punishment too harsh and there is no point in having it. (permadeath or long jail sentence)
    Punishment too light and no one will care.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Man I love your passion! You do express yourself in what you want really well. Unfortunately this has been discussed over and over again in various threads. What you ask for is not possible in the way the game was conceived. I love the trash talk you do and it makes you a perfect villain for any PK guild out there, unfortunately there probably will not be a pk guild for you to join, being everything is consensual. I hate to say this to you because you have so much passion, which is an admirable quality, but it is in vein in the pursuit of which you are proposing.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

False...

The harsh punishment is acquired when pvping in an area where your not allowed such as a town or in your home. The open pvp areas that are going to litter the map will have no punishments. Makes sensE?

So the real goal we have here is to make it possible to kill in town (just like in UO) and get rid of all of the current "PVP lingo".

Time Lord likes this.
  8. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

Your passion is what you love. You would make the perfect bank sitting guild member... Only your guild probably wont have that much money since all you care about is my passion. Just saying bro. You really love to have passion and you think about my passion... Your passion is consensual and Unfortunately this has been discussed over and over again by you and your people. My people have allowed this to continue in order to insure that you and your passionate people will be reaping what you sow. So Unfortunate that your admirable quality is such of those that follow. So unfortunately I am trying to be a leader here and as discussed before I am not interested in your discussion... I am passionate unfortunately.

Maybe this is all "IN VEEEEIIIINNNN" *drops to his knees* but at least im trying to fix it before the game starts being marketed to the world. I can literally guarantee that it will be more popular if this PVP system is destroyed and replaced with something more... Folk lorish? is that right? Unfortunately....

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You say false without providing any counter point.

It's a 100% known fact that if you make the rules too strict you might as well not allow it at all. Make the prison time 1 month and watch people cancel their account.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Well there are definitely differences in our styles. By all means keep up the good fight. Head vs wall is amusing to watch.

Time Lord, Silent Strider and Joviex like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Murder System of some kind:

The truth is this is the first time we were allowed to PvP at all. It makes sense that it would be only zone based in this version. It was a free for all kill and be killed game.

I hope that by the release (or even during beta) we could see some kind of way to keep PvP from becoming a mass murder system with no criminals. It might take some kind of murder system, or some other creative way to make people think twice about becoming a killer in cold blood.

Guild wars and factions like Order vs Chaos would have a reason to attack and it is well defined who your allies are. In this release I didn't much like really busy battle grounds because I didn't know who was going to kill me next. We need to know who are alies and who are "more likely" to be our enemies are.

In real life we can be attacked by anybody, but if we go to a place that is dangerous, we can sort of tell by instinct who to watchout for. It isn't likely that a nice guy dressed like a Buddhist monk would jump out with a machine gun and wipe us out. So there should be some kind of indicator in game that makes us feel suspiscious about people who murder in cold blood. Even if their names aren't RED. Although I wouldn't mind having murderers be RED.

I think we need some kind of murder system. There's got to be some order. Pure chaos battles where you don't know who is who is not fun to me. I don't want to be a player killer either. It was fun just finding a person and taking them out in this release, but I don't want that to be how PvP is by the time the game officially is released.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't think prisons should be a punishment if they even have prisons in the first place. The punishment should be that a character gets labeled as a murderer and people come after the guy and bring him to justice. A Community based justice system.

If there are prisons, there should be an escape type quest, that has several options. One option could be to slip past the guards unseen, find all your items in a lock up area, and also find a way to escape, and in the process you earn a title or a tattoo for your character like
    Chakotay​
    from Star Trek voyager. It would add a look to your character. Another way to escape could be to take on the guards and beat them up with your fists if you can. Then find your items in the lockup and escape.

There should be side quests like helping others escape too, and there should be other things locked up there too that might be horrific beasts. You might not want to help them escape by opening all the cells at once for instance.

The point is the game should be fun for everybody. There should be consequences for being a cold blooded murderer, like being shunned by respectable business owners etc, and the murderer having to avoid all city guards because you will be attacked on site.

However a prison must not be a place of being stuck with no way out. That should be reserved for people who VIOLATE THE GAME POLICIES, not for people who play an evil character.

Joviex likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Providing more PvP for someone that killed someone isn't a deterrent. They kill one person to have more come after them, that's what they want.

A mini game or full blown content for killing someone, again, not a deterrent.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Having murderers become outcasts in cities is a deterrent. Watcing out for guards, and other PvPers in towns is a problem for PKs. Yes it is a deterant.

As for the prison quest system (not actually a minigame), is not meant to be a deterrent. I don't think prisons should ever be used as a deterrent. True prisons should be only for people who violate the game's code of conduct by griefing players, or duping gold etc. At no time should a PK be thrown into a prision, unless it is something they can have fun with. In fact the prision I'm talking about might be a fun thing for the PK, and they might want to go to prison.

So the prison... why build a game feature that isn't fun for players that are playing by the rules, and just playing an evil character?

EDIT: I would think the goal is to provide deterrents that make life more difficult for criminals while still being fun, but the prison shouldn't be a deterrent at all.

15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Is a full banning from all towns (and home) too harsh of a punishment? Or should there be some towns available to those criminals? Which would removed the deterrent.

See what I am getting at yet?

16. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

What I would like to see is the same system from UO Red, blue, ect only this time include actual jail time.

If you are worried about people cancelling their account because of a jail sentence then you are basically chasing your tail in circles. Those who commit the crimes should do the time so that those who do not dont have to deal with their crime on a daily basis. But the crime still happens only in a much less intrusive way than on UO.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

It should be rare to see a murderer. Since their average life span (as a murderer) should be very limited. After a jail sentence their murderer status could be removed and a new status like orange or some **** would label them an ex convict? IDK HELP ME PLEASE

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't think a player should be banned from any hex. That's my opinion!

They should be able to enter any hex, but if they are not liked in that player run town, then they might get killed in that town. Also in towns like Owls Head and kings port where there are lots of guards, these criminals should try to tiptoe around guards at all costs, and also the other PvPers. The PvPers could also act as guards.

SO I don't believe in an actual server based ban, but a community based ban is reasonable, (with the added touch of guards).

Espada likes this.
  19. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

The only deterrent should be when you are in the status of criminal or murderer. Once you die and serve time you can come back into the cities just like normal.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

You know what I would have never imagined that this game would have player run towns... Never in a million years would I expect this type of decision from the richard garriot.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.