1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This has all happened before, and will all happen again.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It has full open PVP for those that want it. You can flag for it. Those that don't want it won't. I don't think you will ever "force" people to accept it.

Khumash-Gor likes this.
  3. Khumash-Gor

Khumash-Gor Avatar

Even a broken clock is wrong twice a day, so what does that say for guys like Owain who keep beating their fists against the wall and forum users like us? I do believe him when he says he will be advocating for it every step of the way, because the first thing I saw when I logged into this forum and mainly the chat site was Owain abusing me, along with some other guy and a moderator. That felt great!

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I have been given the impression that my loot suggestion is not something for Episode 1, possibly a later Episode, or a different game.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

Where from what I wrote do you get any sense forcing anyone to do anything? My theory was that contrary to the fearful expectations of the devs, Open PvP would be wildly popular, so popular in fact, that after release, they would feel emboldened enough to add Open PvP/Full Loot to the game.

I might be wrong, but we just went through just two days of pre alpha first cut preliminary PvP testing in release 8, and I'm reading numerous accounts saying, "OMG, I've never been a PvP kind of guy, but that was AWESOME. What a rush. I'm a convert", and so forth...

So I maintain that Full Loot will come to SotA not because it is being forced on anyone, but because it will be by popular demand, if not in an update, then perhaps by the second release.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  6. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Adventurous Risk Taker: Hey man!

Soft Casual Gamer: Hi

Adventurous Risk Taker: So, you want to go do some SotA PvP?

Soft Casual Gamer: Are you kidding me! No! I hate PvP, PKs just gank you, I’ll lose all my stuff because of full loot!

Adventurous Risk Taker: It isn’t full loot!

Soft Casual Gamer: Really??? Ok! I’ll try it!

…some time later

Adventurous Risk Taker: So what did you think?

Soft Casual Gamer: PvP was great! I’ve never been a PvP kind of guy because I use to lose all my loot, but now that I don’t lose my loot, I love it!! AWESOME!

Captain Jack think you should just keep holding onto that thought nice and tight Owain. :p

7. 3devious

3devious Avatar

The thing is that people were into it because there was nothing to lose. If R9 adds consequences, we'll see more tears for DarkStarr to drink. Then certain individuals won't have to make thinly veiled attacks on the PvP community with the pretense at being rational they can go right ahead an show their true colors.

I am glad that some folks gave it a try. I like to think that giving me a well deserved smack was some incentive. My husband was the most relentless. -_-

There's still time, guys! I will probably continue to be a complete n00b up to and through Episode 1 so come get your whacks in!

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

And as in all things SotA, people who fear what they might lose will be able to opt out. I'm not saying that Full Loot will be mandatory, but rather,by popular demand, it will be an option. How popular an option remains a matter of debate, but like the response to R8, we'll find out when we get there.

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I hope that we can at least opt in. I've felt that way since ransom was announced.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Second time for me LOL!!!

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I can't say I really enjoyed PVP in R8, but PVP zones were filled like deathmatch servers which is not my favorite type of PVP environment. I also did not get to play much and the combat system does take some adjustments, and I think my build sucked. I look forward to things getting fine-tuned especially with people starting to warm up to the card system.

However, as I predicted @Abydos holds the honor of being the first one to kill me. :) Of course I made the mistake of going into a PVP area in single player then switching to multiplayer in that same hex (doh), but I die enough to really use that as an excuse. :D

Abydos, Isaiah [MGT] and Phredicon like this.
  12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I hope you didn't make the same mistake that I did. I thought adding points to skills increased their potency. I eventually figured out that it's a waste to spend points on skills when you really want the next card. I am not sure if I like being able to use something more often vs. having it be more effective.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

LOL. No I knew about that being a long time Magic player. I also watched the video from Chris. My main problem was relying on the mouse. Do that and you will die as you have to use the number keys to get stuff off quick enough. Also I use the arrow keys for movement, so I need to reassign the hot keys over there to be closer. Then of course learning to recognize the icons is a key.

That and my skills sucked. I went sword since there were a lot of skills, but building your char off wanting to see skills is not the way to make a good PVP build.

There is also not a good indication of when skills are unavailable. I noticed a lot of message saying a skill failed because another skill was in use, but I was not able to figure out what I was doing wrong.

14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Yeah, I absolutely fail at reading directions and didn't watch the video either. I just sort of logged in with the "Hey, I'll pick it up" attitude.

X

No. lol. I tell most of the software developers at work "If you make something idiot proof, they will make a better idiot. I AM THE BETTER IDIOT." People laugh... until they have to make software for me.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

For the record there wasn't any thinly veiled threats in my post, I'm hoping you weren't implying there was.

16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm leaning toward a loot system of everything in inventory + 1 random equipped item, and only the equipped item can be ransomed.... we'll see how things go with how difficult items are to get and how durability and affinity play a role in equipment value.

17. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I don't know if most people will go for that but it seems reasonable. I really believe that we're not going to be able to run around carrying tons of stuff unless they were transporting things from one place to another. I'm going to try to leave the house with as little as possible because I love to harvest stuff.

Mishri likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I played lots of PvP stuff in R8. I didn't much care for crazy war zones either. I'm speaking of the island especially. Too many groups of people using voice chat. lol I had more fun in the forest hexes next to the roads.

Also the combat system made exploring the dungeons much more fun. I normally just got my butt kicked in those dungeons, but with the deck i was pounding people.

Umbrae likes this.
  19. Owain

Owain Avatar

If it is there, it should be lootable, if that can be done safely. If it cannot be done safely, you only have yourself to blame. If you want to buy something back from me, make me an offer.

20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

ALl pleasure was for me :D

Umbrae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.