1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

just because im a loner doesnt mean i dont want to pvp or interact with other people, when i want to, thats fine, its being forced to when i want to do something within normal game parameters, its not a mode just for me, just because i'm a loner doesnt mean i dont want to interact with people its that i dont want to be forced to when i dont want to interact.

2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

What is stopping you from buying from a vendor? Or joining an alliance with pvpers and offering your ability to craft for ore donations? Or joining a crafters guild allied to a Pvp guild that gets ore free?

Thie idea behind all this is to create a world where actions have some meaning. Where decisions shape the world. All these lord and dukes, barons etc want to be part of Brittanias history. Maybe some want to be remembered as the guild who took the mines so they can be free for everyone. All the good hearted guilds can change the world they live in.

Or we can give pvpers bragging rights or a epic weapon . We can alienate ourselves in our little worlds or we can open our doors to the elements and get our hands dirty.

Your choice

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What you are talking about here is WHY we PvP. This thread's scope is flagging for PvP and death.

4. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

because i dont want to join a guild and be obligated to do anything for them or with them and a lot of them expect something in return.

i will have a vendor but to me going and finding and mining the ore is part of the fun and i dont want to have to be in an uber guild or a bunch of small guilds as a collective to do so. just my personal wants and desires. i'll have to go against my own preferences to do this alas i've had to do a lot of things i'd rather not in life so this would just be more annoying than anything.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Death will have severe penalties, but you'll continue to engage in it for no particular reason. You will call this "fun."

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Crap, I hijacked the post ok my bad. I will find a more relevant post. Ty

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It does appear that it will be a gear based game. Not like WoW, but if we've seen normal items what will eppic swords be like?

I don't think full loot is going to work in this game. It may be insanity to try to force full loot.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why not?

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It doesn't appear the devs want to make that much of a compromise. Ristra's loot alternative is pretty good, and it has more skill for looting. It takes time to loot. It might take longer to take off somebody's armor off his corpse than to take a sword.

On the battlefield a guy can't just drag drop drag drop all the stuff at tje same speed. Also a person should be put into a looting or casting state that can be interrupted.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I would rather have some loot instead of a ransom. That might require some compromise on our part. I really don't think full loot is a reasonable expectation.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

Based on what I saw this weekend, stopping to loot will be a quick way to become dead unless you can secure the area. There had better be something pretty damn uber to make it worthwhile, because otherwise, I've got better things to do.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There definitely needs to be a way to have PvP be profitable. If it is full loot and it is extremely difficult to obtain the resources to make the item. It seems like everything being looted would be a disaster. It would be nice if we could reduce the items we find into ingots and gems etc. That way we can get resources to craft stuff we need.

I just don't think they are bending on this system. They are focusing on trying to make PvP enticing to non-pvpers. I've argued that we should make the game appealing to PvPers first and foremost because that's who will actually be playing. I'm just not going to get my hopes up for full loot. I think that ship has sailed. After seeing the items in game, and also somebody mentioned that eppic items won't be the best tier. If that is the case then we have an item affinity.

I honestly don't know what they have planned on this matter, but they did do a good job with the combat mechanics and I doubted that, so who knows. Full loot would have been ideal, but it seems like a loosing battle.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

That's unfortunate.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The reason I feel like this is the case, is that one of the devs (maybe Chris) mentioned something about ransom today in a post. This leads me to believe that none of our talk in these threads have taken them off the idea of that ransom system.

That's why we've been trying to compromise. I feel that the ransom is too much of a compromise away from full loot. I would rather have a possibility to have a partial loot then to be stuck with a random item and not be able to keep it if the guy chooses to pay for it. I as the looter should at least have the right to "choose" to ransom the item back. That's what ransom means. However it is what it is.

I was hoping that the current system would evolve and compromise somewhere in between.

15. TheOneEyedJack

TheOneEyedJack Avatar

I really enjoyed my experience with PvP so far. I was hoping for a full loot option but the alternative they've come up with isn't too bad. I'm interested to know if different zones will have different ransom values. I really like seeing a risk vs reward scenario.

Does anyone know if they plan on allowing open world PvP for guilds that are at war? It would be fun to battle through Owl's Head while everyone watches but remains safe. Kind of like order vs chaos in UO. Maybe I missed it but I don't think I saw that this was clarified.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    If you flag yourself, and have your guilds flag yourselves, you can fight anywhere, its just that the guards on some towns might get involved lol

17. TheOneEyedJack

TheOneEyedJack Avatar

Haha! The guards can make it interesting!

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

I remember the last time I argued this a couple of months ago. The devs are unsure how popular PvP will be on release. Open PvP may be used by only a small fraction of players. devs are gunshy based upon memories of UO where noobs quit over getting ganked and dry looted. Why take the risk on the initial release?

On the other hand, based on the success of the initial pre alpha PvP test in release 8, I think there will be strong interest in Open PvP. After release, Open PvP may be wildly popular. Based upon just how popular, the devs may feel more confident about full loot, and release it in an update, or in the second release.

I plan to be here for the full five year cycle, and I plan to be an advocate for Open PvP/Full Loot every step of the way. Sooner or later, if support is strong, we'll get it, so we need to be patient, and maintain strong support.

Time Lord, Phredicon and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  19. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

I would like watching PvP fights while being save very much ;)

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That might be a little hopeful, but there may be a possiblity that they might comrpomise a little bit closer to full loot. I don't think this game is primed for full loot. The full loot that happened in UO worked for that game, but this is a different game with different variables. I honestly don't think a total full loot option is best for a SotA based world. At least not the way it functioned in UO.

If there is a timer based thing, where it takes time to loot items and it puts you in a casting state that can be interupted by an attacker... that would be a start. Also the higher the tier equipment could take longer to loot due to better fitting armor, and weapons with chains around the wrist etc. That way if somebody wears lower tiered equipment they would be subject to more items being looted in a shorter period of time. So you could try looting everything, but the likelihood of grabing it all is very low. (this seems to fall in line with the devs wanting people to wear their best stuff).

So you might be able to get away with a few items, and all the resources the guy is carrying... that seems reasonable. All resources should be totally lootable, no ransom regardless of the system. One of the thing with the zones is the coveted resources. Let those be cursed, always lootable items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.