Ship Building

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Orion Astrium, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

Once ship travel is implemented I think it would be a great crafting option to be able to build boats.
    This would not be as simple or quick as throwing a few ingredients on a table and a boat magically appearing though.

I was thinking it might be like growing a plant, you would have to work on it a little bit each day. The number of days depends on the size of the boat. If you are building a rowboat it might take 3 days. If you were building a Galleon it might take 30 days.

Of course I know nothing about building boats but perhaps each day you would need different ingredients based on what level you have reached and what part of the boat you are working on.

When you are done you could sell a boat voucher on your vendor. The buyer would then take the voucher to the NPC dock master who would launch your new boat for you.

2. Robby

Robby Avatar

I certainly hope this is done! I love the idea of player-made boats. Hopefully you can customize them and put jewels and symbols on them to make them unique to the crafter of the ship. Then the market could put a special price on what you have to sell based on your fame and unique ship design.

helomech, Time Lord, Caradin and 3 others like this.
  3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Whoa Orion Astrium, your idea would be totally awesome! I can imagine that to become a ship builder, one would have to work one's way up. Start with building small rowboats and so on, maybe have to work awhile as an apprentice to a master ship builder before moving up to larger boats, and finally, after one earns one's master ship builder's degree, one can begin building ships! Too cool in my opinion!
    Of course, this is going to demand huge amount of resources!

*Gives stamp of approval*

4. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

Thanks Devoid,
    I was thinking this would create true Shipwrights in the game.
    Anyone who builds boats for a "living" would constantly have boats at many levels of development, and it would just be normal to be working on them each day and gathering all the related supplies needed to build the boats and gather special ingredients like Robby suggested.
    It would not be impossible for someone to just build a boat for themselves but it would be a whole lot more difficult and might just be easier to buy it from the professional.

helomech and Time Lord like this.
  5. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

Devoid almost forgot, I loved your idea about having to work you way up to build more complex boats. Perhaps a lot of fails if a novice tries to build something too complicated before they are experienced enough.

helomech and Time Lord like this.
  6. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack approves anything to do with ships!

If not building ships, then repair, modification, weaponry, life boats, sails, anything to support the life on the high seas!

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

We just *have* to get ships and sailing in the game.

Can you imagine 2 ships locked in combat and PvP battles ? Making the losing captain walk the plank ?

Not only that it will also open a huge area of the game up - the sea

8. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

and if your ship is built by somebody who is not very talented you might not last as long in battle. :)
    In UO many people had Tame Dragons but they were not all created equal.

Maybe each ship could have properties such as: durability or speed. So your ship may be bigger, but you'll never catch me cause I'm quicker.

Grand Masters would be sought out and paid a premium if their ships accumulated a lot of victories, or if their merchant ships were elusive enough to avoid pirates.
    Or maybe a ship can have an Obsidian infused bow to give it some more offensive punch. (I have no problem stealing using ideas from earlier posters).

9. monxter

monxter Avatar

Awesome ideas.
    Hopefully something for the future episodes. Shipwrights, sailing, fishing, treasure hunts? Yep!

10. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

CaptainJackSparrow: Leaves the captain's cabin and stands on deck of his ship the 'Dark Black Pearl' "Why's the rum gone?"
    First mate Mr. Gibbs: Discernibly not sober, tries to take the first step up to the bridge but misses and staggers. He spins around to answer "Bilge rats Cap'n! The rum's been wasted!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "But why's the rum all gone?!"
    Mr. Gibbs: "Mutinous crew Cap'n!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Why's the rum gone?!"
    Mr. Gibbs: "Tia Dalma demanded payment!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "But why's the rum all gone?"
    Mr. Gibbs: "The kraken's taken it all!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Why's the rum gone?"
    Mr. Gibbs: "The monkey's drink'n it all!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Why's the rum gone?!"
    Mr. Gibbs: "Tis in Davy Jone's locker!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Why's the rum gone??"
    Mr. Gibbs: "Calypso drank it all!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "But why's the rum all gone?!"
    Mr. Gibbs: Takes a deep breath and bursts out "Pirates Cap'n!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: Cocks a questioning eye at Gibbs.
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Why's the rum gone?"
    Mr. Gibbs: Sighs "Truth be told, the stretch goal for rum hasn't been met."
    CaptainJackSparrow: Glares at Mr. Gibbs in anger and disbelief "No! How can this be?!" He turns and marches to the railing.
    Mr. Gibbs: "We be scuttled on that point." Turns away from Jack and quickly takes a swig from his pocket flask.
    CaptainJackSparrow: Turns "Mr. Gibbs!"
    Mr. Gibbs: Snaps to attention; belly in, chest out, toes the line "Cap'n!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Take a heading!"
    Mr. Gibbs: Looks surprised and relaxes "A heading Cap'n?!"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Aye - We have a need to travel South, Due South!"
    Mr. Gibbs: "By need, d' you mean a ...trifling? ...fleeting? ...as in a passing fancy?"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "No... a resolute and unyielding need."
    Mr. Gibbs: "South Cap'n?"
    CaptainJackSparrow: "Aye. Without rum, then this whole game has gone south!!"
    Mr. Gibbs: "And we with it?"
    CaptainJackSparrow: Ignores Mr. Gibbs last statement. "South to the forums where we'll troll and get banned!"
    Mr. Gibbs: "Finally some honest pirating!"

11. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

how about starting with rafts or something much simplier... then as you gain more experience in ship building... you can move on to fishing boats... then to bigger ships... etc...

12. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

Exactly kabalyero! We were thinking with starting with rowboats, but it doesn't need to be that grandiose.
    Paddle Board -> Small Raft > Swimming platform > Canoe > Rowboat > Small Fishing Boat ....
    Heck why wait for implementing ship travel, lets start with the rafts and swimming platforms now. Then we can have some experience under our belts when the boats go live. And maybe we can get some surfing in to pass the time.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. Lady Zita

Lady Zita Avatar

craftable ships would be sweet. pls give us a ghost ship or pirate barge option.

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

hmm... "Ship" building, or Rowboat?

"It took Noah 120 years to build an Ark and it takes me $3800.00 real USD$ to gain a Galleon through the Baron 3 pledge"... and we are saying now that a Galleon can be made in game in building for 30 days?

I'm all for the ability of building ships and boats by crafting in our game...
    [​IMG]
    This real one will cost you EUR 595,000.00....

:oops: This one is taking a bit longer than 30 days of crafting, a few more people than only one and with the use of modern equipment, not to mention needing the ship yard and everything it needs to build one.

:rolleyes: Note that the modern builders do say that it took half the time it's currently taking to build it than in olden days of ship building, yet that was also with the addition of 100+ slave laborers to help all the other builders also needed for the construction of a Spanish Galleon.

So... "I am all for being able to build boats in our game... but I'm also thinking of a very much smaller boat" ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

helomech, monxter, Eriador and 5 others like this.
  15. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

I submit to the Time Lord, Noah and $3800 (not necessarily in that order). Perhaps we can get together and discuss possible options and limitations for crafted vessels.
    Of course, I am sure Portalarium has always had their own plans on ships. Just thought it would be nice to throw the idea out there to have ANY type of player made ships.
    Thanks for all the great constructive ideas everyone, as always.

16. Lady Zita

Lady Zita Avatar

Could we necromancers pk people & raise their corpses to become undead slaves for a slave galleon ship? PLZ! :D

monxter, HokageFont and Orion Astrium like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.