Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat system r8 -- A Blast!

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Brass Knuckles, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

I found the card system great for PVE where the enemies tend to stay in one place, but a lot harder to use in PVP. Since I don't plan on doing any PVP, that's not a problem, but if I did I'd have to do a lot of training.

2. Xanowrath

Xanowrath Avatar

If they allowed us to put skill cards in to slots and those light up with the number of those type of cards you currently have available of that card the hotkey issue could probably be fixed, or better yet be able to have a static bar of skills over your "hand" that light up with the number of available cards when the cards are available. Just map your hotkeys to that bar instead.

fixed

3. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

I was quite surprised by the depth and finesse the system has at such an early stage. Between position, random draws, which skills to lock, on the fly discarding, hoping for buffs, maintaining range. I am a multi gladiator and am top tier in nearly every pvp game I've played. This system is not bad in its preliminary stage

4. Faethore

Faethore Avatar

Naw. I was actually teaching others how to set up thier decks. Thanks for the "veiled" insult to my abilities though...you feel better? The problem was I was wearing full plate armor. I had 25 glyphs with my sword and board avatar, but it was still filling up my bars with slugs. So with my left hand, I was moving and using the number keys to select the skills I wanted to use when they randomly came up, and with my left hand I was trying to remove slugs and unwanted skills from my bars and do some mouse movement when I got the chance. I was spending more time looking at my bars than at my opponents, which isn't a good idea when you are a melee toon. It was silly.

After a couple days of beating my head against, what is in my opinion, is the least fun combat system I've ever played in a game, I switched over to Dallas mode. I dropped points into the bottom of the focus tree to counter the focus penalty and I never looked back. Actually, Dallas mode was a bit OP when you dumped five points into each of the focus reducing and focus pool increasing skills. I never ran out of focus no mater how many skills or spells I used.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think there is a balance problem for heavy armor and slug frequency. If that design remains, tanks will all just say screw it and go with a 10 slot fixed hot bar.

6. Espada

Espada Avatar

Sometimes leaving slugs be is a good thing for your focus conservation and paying more attention to positioning due to dmg scales is more beneficial. Also, next time, if you didn't do it this time, drop more pts into your focus line to open more slots for more glyphs and you are not stuck at the 4 initial slots. I found it optimal to have 7 slots open, of which, 2 at least were functional at most times.

I also locked 1 of my heals for emergency but I had to pay the price of 50% more focus (totally justifiable). Perhaps increasing your number to 9 will truly make it for your available skills without bothering on the slugs? I hope it is a better experience for you next time Feaethore.

We still have ways to go in refinement.. Just hang in there.

7. Faethore

Faethore Avatar

I did all those things. I tried multiple sized bars. I experemented with different deal times and discard times. And yes I messed around with a hybrid deck. I still like the Dallas method better. No matter how many slots I had, I was constantly dealing with my bar completely filling up with slugs.

I"m not trying to be insulting or anything, I"m just telling it how I see it. Which is the point of all this testing.

Freeman likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I started off with a heavy armored guy. I didn't like the slugs.

Also Portalarium needs to keep in mind that lighter armor mixes well with a lot of skills. So if it is possible to learn lots of skills so that we can have a caster deck and a sword with some casting deck... the problem is people will use lighter armor for those characters because of the lower fizzle.

Really, there isn't much that goes with heavy armor that well. I would hate to see heavy armor turn into the UO full plate which nobody ever wore unless tjey were a total newbie.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If you weren't one of the best PvPers in R8 I would have griped about the leaving the slug thing.

Although you did say, having seven slots... that part makes sense. However, it seemed like you needed like 30 cards to make up for the slugs. However, some people seemed quite effective.

it still seemed like a pain in the rear. I don't want to use heavy armor.

Kaisa likes this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I guess you can keep clicking off the slugs, but still is a pain in the rear.

Kaisa likes this.
  11. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

It is definitely a problem. I found the random card system quite fun and interesting when I was wearing leather armor. I only had to glance at my bar briefly and always saw something useful often multiple useful abilities. When I tried out plate it was the complete opposite even with my deck fully filled out and specced pretty heavily into the heavy armor tree *I wonder though if that skill that says it is supposed to reduce heavy armor penalties was actually doing anything* I was still getting mostly slugs. With plate armor I was constantly clicking away slugs hoping for something decent and often having to settle for something like a whirlwind for one target or just autoattacking while clicking away the slugs. I also had my deck set to the fastest draw and discard speeds. Over all I think this is a system that has a lot of potential but if I had tested plate armor right away my opinion probably would be far more negative.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  12. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

I agree with this entirely. I don't like the deck system. It makes you focus way too much on the cards popping up rather then the actual interaction with the player in the game.

docdoom77 likes this.
  13. Khloec

Khloec Avatar

For a few days untill everything becomes natural. Most picked up the system in a days play. After a few weeks we will all I imagine be capable of movement and choosing cards just like driving becomes second nature after you have done for a while.

Lord Baldrith and Owain like this.
  14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Gotta develop the muscle memory that resides between your ears.

15. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

This and I am sure they will work on the ui to make things more "smooth" and easier to use as well.

Khloec likes this.
  16. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

I like the idea of having set spells show up in the same slot. if you roll two fireball cards they should show up in the same slots.

17. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I, too, am the top ranked pvp player for every game on the planet and I like this system.

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I do believe that the punishment for a locked deck it a bit of an over kill. Your already at a slight disadvantage because of the cool downs and %50 focus. Mabey the should reduce the focus down to 25 or 35 %.

19. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

This gives me a good idea. One problem balancing locked vs. deck, is that there's no reason to pump skill points into several copies of a skill in the locked deck. But, what if buying multiple copies reduced the cool down by some small percentage in locked format? I think that could really help the balancing act.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I hope they reduce the focus cost to 0%. The reason why... because dealt glyph combat is superior. If somebody chooses static glyphs they will be ruined by a deck person. lol

A static deck doesn't do much of anything. Also a big deck isn't necessarily better than a smaller deck. The smaller deck might be more functional. A bigger deck makes your glyphs thiner. It's better to have a thick smaller deck. It's how you use your deck that counts.

Kaisa and Mercyful Fate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.