1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Darkstarr's Release 8 Impressions + R9 Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh I agree, but a lot of mechanics have to be put in place...like cut scenes(even if just a fake one), I'm not even sure companions are on the radar...they weren't important in UO....they are for the single player side here.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I just loved R8. So great to finally have tangible stuff/combat, fire elementals, pvp, the deck or (glyph) combat system. Truly amazing.

Things I would like to see, well or in this case hear is; more sword and combat sounds come into play, it doesn't have to be right now, but I want to have the satisfaction of the contact feel and sound when attacking my opponent.

Also I know I know it is so exciting about all the combat stuff, I love it too, but please, please do not let that overshadow making our avatars gorgeous.

I know I could sound thankless, and I am not trying to truly. I am just keeping it in the arena of everyone's mind to remember my request to raise the bar how SOTA avatars show off. It isn't everything, but it will be an important aspect on marketing right up there with the awesome combat system we will have.

As much as I'm loving the combat and how amazing of a job our wonderful devs have done on it, I will not be fighting all the time, some will, I'm sure I won't.

Majoria will be an awesome warrior, and also a gorgeous warrior, that is the goal.

She will strike terror into her foes, and destroy them with her cunning, looks are important here ***wink*** ***wink***

So please, please do not forget.;)

3. Retro

Retro Avatar

Sounds great!

If anything has to go on the chopping block for R9 please make sure it's this:
    • Intro Cinematic: We are making an animatic version of the intro with narration by our very own Bill Johnson (aka The Guardian).
    I'm sure MOST of us would like to see this only after we have RC1 Gold shipped version in our greedy little hands...I want to see this for the first time when when the game goes live and not before.

Please feel free to replace with Dual Wielding for R9 ;)

Thanks great job with deck combat and PVP.

strabo, abovenyquist, Ned888 and 5 others like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good update.

Looking forward to Ardoris and the mainland scenes.

abovenyquist, Mata, VonXakk and 4 others like this.
  5. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

I really hope that with the new release there is a wider variety of rare armor/weapons to search for.

6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

yes wold be fun but wouldnt that make balance testing harder? I would definatley like it too thou

abovenyquist and Retro like this.
  7. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

SotA dev team just got gawdhanded :p

8. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

Didn't see any balance updates in this next release. Maybe we're not testing balance yet, but just function.

9. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Well I said that I would never be interested in PVP; now I'm eating my words. It was huge fun!! (Not good at it, but fun anyway...)
    And with further fleshing out/refinement/balancing it will only get better.
    Huge cheers to the dev team for a job well done! Bring on R9!

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I suggested exactly this in a previous thread and it was quickly poo-pooed. I'm very glad you're giving it a shot! Seems like the perfect way to make reagents meaningful without ruining a pure mage in a long dungeon. Thanks!

11. GamerQuest

GamerQuest Avatar

This is probably kind of weird but thank you for the Mini Map system!!!

I am the guy if I spin around in game I get lost. Even in the old days I would get lost. Back when I was in UO Beta I died in the woods and anyone I ran into could'nt understand my OOoOoooOo and I could not find a rez. I roamed the wilderness for 2 days until I figured how to open a mini map! I still wonder to this day how many towns I was right next too that I walked right by because I did not know about the mini map.

+1 for the Mini Map!

abovenyquist, Mata, Arianna and 2 others like this.
  12. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Jambot, you could change the keys for the toolbar, if Yu are on Windows. Macs don't have the functionality yet to change keybinds, as far as I understand. While they didn't update on the UI, the skills, spells, and tools fired when the new keybind was used. I did bug this as an issue and it was acknowledge that an update would be coming.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Seems like a perfect way to reduce the ridiculous power mages wielded in R8

Reagents ? Bah ! A knight has no use for such balderdash !

Retro and docdoom77 like this.
  14. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

This game is great! Just the fact that I can play on Linux is great!

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I agree. The intro cinematic is not that important for me right now.
    But I would rather like to see some more features for the overland map instead ;)

Looking forward to R9 :)

abovenyquist, Alexander and Retro like this.
  16. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

No reagents eh, you forget that lemon in water will get rid of the grease in that douse spell :p

17. Retro

Retro Avatar

Mages didn't have "ridiculous power"...it's all a matter of perspective...

Mages at long range in R8, unbeatable...
    Plate clad 2-h warriors at close range in R8 unbeatable...
    :)

18. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Will durability ever modify effectiveness, if a weapon or piece of armour falls to 0 durability is it no longer usable? Is the durability lowered if you don't have it regularly repaired?

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    For my part, from what I witnessed, besides a few exceptions, the pure melee was at a severe disadvantage to ranged/magic. In the tournaments all a mage had to do was crowd control the melee and let his fire elemental and staff dps him down while kiting. If one wanted to succeed he had to have some magic.

Retro likes this.
  20. Retro

Retro Avatar

Paraphrasing my other posts:

As a caster, starting at MAXIMUM range, I feel I could beat any warrior in the game* in R8 1 on 1 combat, especially as a Bow\Mage or a D.O.T. Mage (Eley + staff or wand)
    (*exception bugged sword damage builds :))

Against other casters, 50% chance at all ranges...

Starting a fight against a plate wearing, 2-h warrior at 0 distance was a death sentence, lost most of the time...As it should be in IMHO...

I can't believe how much everyone is downplaying the importance of "Starting Range" it's a huge factor for casters and the reason why they won so many PVP tournaments, the tournaments were rigged for casters to win...

I was shocked when I entered a Vengeance PVP tournament and was allowed to start my matches against warriors at the extreme edge of my targeting range, By the time they got to me they had to be in full time healing mode, while I could just unload made it too easy.;)

For a fair mage vs. warrior PVP 1 on 1 match it would have to be something like best of 7, with matches occurring, zero distance, medium distance, and far distance then repeat...

There's a reason the gun won the arms race...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.