melee combat system is ..... the deck system just not work to make a melee fighter fun

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by KingRoland, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

i have watched a stream yesterday and chated with the streamer.
    i asked him to show melee combos by combining 2 melee attack glyphes.

but what we find out....
    -its horrible to be a melee fighter in a world of mages and fireballs (there is no Jump/charge)
    -non stop removing cards with right mouse click to get 2 meelee cards , at the same time ,to make a melee combo is horrible. when you stand right infront of your enemy you should be able to attack him instead of removing cards
    -we got the idea to make a 7 hand deck, for a pure melee fighter
    so we can have 6 melee attack glyphes fixed, to be able to combine them to 3 different combos when we need them, and the last slot should rotate heal and stun immunity
    -but it wasnt possible !!!!! you cant combine fixed melee glyphes !!!!!! just the random selected appearing gyphes can be combined :(

that is a ultra bad way to make a combat system for a fighter, it just dont work !!!
    the game need a drastic change for melee combat.

-"fixed" melee cards have to be possible to be combined to a combo with an ability you can get out of the havy armor tree
    -or simply remove melee cards from the game and give players another "hotbar" for melee attacks and another way to do melee combos

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well that is why we are testing it, it is brand new. I'm sure the Devs will appreciate your feedback,
    and by the way Welcome KingRoland, I'm not sure I have met you yet. ***cheers***

3. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

thanks for welcome

4. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

any infos on first person view ? kinda made me sad that there was no option for it .
    in this vid the developers can find some great "first person animation" inspiration for the spells , the game use glyphe signs in the animations aswell , like sota

3rd person is a nice option to have when decorating your home, or when you trade stuff in town.

in combat i always preferd first person combat with magic spells that have to be aimed at the target at least in his direction , different spells could have different sized mage hitboxes.

so maybe a char could have different sized hitboxes for different magic spells.

the lower damage spells could have a bigger "mage hitbox" on targets, and would be more easy to hit, then a high damage spell, having a small "mage hitbox" on targets, and need to be aimed more carefully.
    some mage attacks could be skillshots like in smite

see ra´a laser attack

from what i have seen for now in the stream , everything feels a bit too random to me in the alpha ,and they are focusing more on a combat system with mindcrafting " how to build your deck " and about combat move timing, instead of making it true skill depending and add some aiming mechanics aswell . hope this will improve a bit with the next release.

especially as a melee fighter i would dislike to not have a controll about which of my attacks comes next. sure you can do fixed cards but with havy dissadvantage

will release 10 be a combat system release ??

5. Beli

Beli Avatar

any infos on first person view ? kinda made me sad that there was no option for it .

First person view is in game, at least it is for me, just scroll all the way in.

6. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

animated ?? with first person arms ??

7. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

I'm running a melee fight too (mine is in heavy armor), and normally I'm not having any problems getting attack skills. My build is to have fastest draw speed, fastest discard speed, and 7 skill slots. I have one fixed, but I'm not sure that it is necessary (I have that anti-stun from heavy armor, too bad it does not work on roots, but it is fine on other stuns like the ice ones and the blunt ones). Also, I'm using blunt weapons (two-handed if possible). I don't use combos at all. I have two potion cards in my deck, so occasionally, I do get stuck with no attacks, but that is rare - if it happens, I just use the auto-attack and wait, maybe cast some defensive spells. I haven't PvP much, but for what I've played, the hardest fights I had where with other people in heavy armor and using bludgeon weapon (damn stunt). I enjoyed killing mages - maybe I haven't faced a strong mage yet, but the few ones I've seen, it was really fun to fight them because I would win quite a few times.

I suggest you don't remove cards with the right click - that is boring and wastes a lot of time - try to build a deck that does not requires you to do that - mine has 15 attack cards and about 5 defensive ones. If that does not make the deck more powerful, at least it will make it simpler and more enjoyable to use.

8. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

did you used combos (combine 2 melee attacks to a new attack ???) dont seems to be fun to wait for a second melee attack card

instead of attacking the enemy you are facing , you are forced to remove other cards via right mouse click to get 2 different melee attack cards at once , when you stand right infront of the enemy and should do damage or make proper movement

9. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

No, I haven't - also, they are not on my build at all. I did use a few when I was using blades, but only in PvE, with one of the starter deck. There are no combos in the blunt tree that I'm aware of. I think I'll try a blade build later for the ice combos, but I really like my build.
    Reguarding combos, though, I don't think they are designed to be always used - you have to wait for the right time, not just pursue them nonstop. Also, they aren't really finished yet - the problem I had with blades combos was that whirlwind is a area of attack spell, not really suited for 1v1 pvp, and the ice fist by itself fizzles too much in heavy armor. But I don't think this is a problem with the deck system, I think we just need better combos for the PvP blades/bludgeon crowd.

There are two points here - one is using combos and the other is building a good/fun deck. If you complain that you can't use combos as a melee heavy armor fighter, then I agree with you. If you say that this group is at a disadvantage over the other groups, I don't really agree, based on my current experiences.

10. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Titan Slam was a bludgeon combo

11. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I don't think it's fair that the only way to have a successful heavy armor build is to sink all the points into skill cards and innates that only diminish the ability to fight and place points into the locked glyph type innates. It also prevents from placing any real amount of game-changing skills, and also can't combo and can't defend from it's own class.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What if they would exclude the melee from the whole system and just have spells and special attacks in the bar?
    You could do regular swings and thrusts whenever you want but you would have to rely on the glyphs for spells and some special attacks.
    The same for ranged attacks with bows/crossbows of course.

13. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

There are no Mage Fighters its Fantasy, yet most developers/players force actual fighting styles to be realistic. Either get rid of Magic or develop a fantasy fighter to combat it.

14. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

the more abilities they add, the weaker warriors will be with their current system... the way it is now everyone is basically the same except that warriors get tons of slugs and fizzle.
    There have to be more consistent dis/advantages to mage/warriors for both rly being intresting to play as. R8 Warriors were too strong because of all the rooting for R9 they added another root/stun and they brought the archer wich is the best choice u can make atm. Mages lose focus and cant recover it unless you use a bow or a melee weapon, warriors dont lose their fpcus becausse they fizzle all the time.
    And I dont like how focus is the same for everyone I think there should be focus AND mana, focus for weapon attacks and running and mana purely ofr maging then if you use a certain amnount of spells combined with cloth armour u get significantly more mana and the same with focus using a certain amount of weapon attacks combining it with heavy armour should grant you more stamina and make you lose Mana. For archers or medium armour users somthing in between. Hybrids should be logically able to cast LESS than pure mages yet we have the inverse case atm

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  15. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

No! its just badly balanced atm with focus acting exactly the same for everyone! A pure mage should be able to cast more than a mage with weapons. How their system currently works theres only one class to play! Hybrid.

Isaiah [MGT] and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the fact that SotA allows for the building of hybrids. That's a cool feature, BUT... I would really like to see a pure mage be a functional option, or a pure anything.

Each weapon style should be able to be great in its pure form. A true blades master, a devastating bludgeoner, a 5th degree blackbelt polarm dude, or an amazing archer, and of course the arch-mage.

Combiniations make things interesting, and it is good when trying to make a versitile combatant. However a person who specializes in a weapon should have enough skill points to bump up some innate skills that make him or her even more hardy.

For example somebody is a polarm/mage, that's great, he can cast devistating spells, push you back, or trip you while you fight that guy....

However, since the pure polarm person will have extra skills left over (because it wasn't used for spells) he could invest in skills like fire proof (to reduce fire damage), or sun worship (giving bonus stats in sunlight), and Attunement with earth (Increases Str and defense bonuses), and sympathy of stone (Increases damage resistance and damage absorption).

So maybe in the end there will be a trade off for focusing on a single skill set. Who knows? Sounds to me that if you pick up attunement with earth, and sympathy of stone, without picking up any real earth magic that might be a good trade off. Then you are still a hibrid, but skill wise you are still a single combat character. It also seems like a fare trade off between being able to throw spells at people and use melee attacks as well... since the single focus guy could do more damage and absorb more damage.

Although that might work for melee characters in heavier armor than those characters that use lighter armor. THEN AGAIN... a hybrid has to keep his STR DEX and INT up to be able to cast spells and do considerable damage with a weapon. A pure mage might be able to increase INT more than a hybrid. If INT gives a reasonable damage bonus, then that might make up for the lack of a weapon. So a melee person might be able to do massive damage with a weapon, but a mage might be able to do massive damage with spells, when the INT ability score comes into play.

DavenRock [MGT] and Lord Spaz like this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So we really haven't seen the full potential of the character skill system, and we have no idea with ability scores will do when they are modified too. I'm thinking there is good potential that hybrids, and single focus combatants might all have their good points.

At least it looks good on paper... (or in the magic, combat, and crafting skills | megapost)

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Pure mage at a high level... what about this as an alternate deck?
    • Dash: Move speed buff
    • Blink: Instantly move to nearby spot that you could walk to
    • Vanish: Makes the player difficult to see as long as he stands still
    • Shadow form: Makes the player appear only as a shadow
    • Healing Touch: Base healing spell, super short range
    • Douse: Removes fire dots
    • Purify: Clear some negative effects
    There should be no rule that says everybody needs to die just because he's isn't doing well in PvP. if a person has a good technique and wants to be able to escape like a wimp they should be able to. It doesn't hurt anybody. I hope they don't nerf this.

19. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Oh Im loving your ideas Isaiah especially 5th grade polearm dude :p also I think polearms should have a more range than other weapons that would be a really nice add or have a special that has increased range

Isaiah [MGT] and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  20. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

combat system 70 percent done !!! next release will be a non combat release !!

im dissapointed , poletarium wasted half of there time, to make ice elements and stuff which are not necessary , or have something to do with combat in release 9 and tell , that the combat system is 70 percent done.

no fresh ideas ? read the forums !!!

i cant beleave they not take there time to develop an awesome combat system over 5-6 releases long .

when they not have the time to develop new mechanics properly and are forced to rush them , why not implementing the old ones like the ultima online spellbook ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.