Black Friday pledge discount

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satyr Hatter, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

I have got to say I was surprised when I saw an across the board 15 percent discount advertised on the front page. It's a little disheartening that the early backers are taking a bit of a penalty for supporting this game early.

I mean, I'm only lord level, but right now I'm feeling cheated out of 225 dollars.

Deliverence, Ned888 and Net like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Some people will always feel like that, was the same issue last year which is why I expect that the period has been set to 8 weeks in order to give everyone an opportunity to get items at discounted prices.

I'm at Lord level.....I'm not sad.....I'm excited because I might actually upgrade again.

Mata, Arianna, Lord Lonn and 5 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The same thing was said last year when there was a 15% discount for Black Friday. This year they extended the offer to cover a much larger period of time AND to give people that ability to get that credit in the store instead of only being towards future pledges.

Besides, the longer I follow this game the more I feel like most of what I've purchased will increase in value over time.

For anyone on the fence about buying something, this has "historically" been the best deal of the year, Black Friday.

Mata, Bow Vale, Arianna and 7 others like this.
  4. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

I was actually going to upgrade the other day, and I'm glad I didn't do it then. The discount pretty much made my mind up now to upgrade. :)

Mata, Bow Vale, Arianna and 4 others like this.
  5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I upgraded to benefactor knight just a few days ago :(

Mata likes this.
  6. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

Meh. I guess I'm upset because I backed during the kickstarter and this feels like a "hey these new guys are better than you"

7. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Backing during the KS granted you special rewards by tier which new backers don't get, right?

Duke NRaas, Mata, Logain and 4 others like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I upgraded to Baron without a discount. Does that help you sleep at night? Listen guys, it's nothing to be upset about. The best way to look at sales like this is that the more people that upgrade and buy accounts in this game, the more valuable what you bought becomes.

mbomber, Apollyon9515, Mata and 3 others like this.
  9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

To avoid the payment plan discussion this is how they solved it last year:

How will the 15% work for payment plans? Any word on this?

We will apply the Black Friday 15% Pledge Bonus toward any pledge monies received during the promotion period.
    Any payment plan payments received during the promotion period will have the 15% bonus applied to them, same as any full payments made toward new pledges or pledge upgrades. Any subsequent monthly payments made on the new payment plan that fall outside of the promotion period will not have the 15% Pledge Bonus applied to them.

This will be easy for those that may be starting a new payment plan during the promotion. For those that are already on a payment plan, it will require some extra steps. They will have to go in and cancel their current plan and immediately start a new payment plan (possibly entering the same dollar amount as what their previous plan was, or changing it to a larger amount to take advantage of the 15% bonus pledge). By canceling their old plan and starting a new plan they force a payment to be made during the promotion period, thus qualifying that payment to receive the 15% bonus pledge.

That was the statement last year from Dallas.
    But do not lawyer him. I only asume it will be the same this year.

Mata, Arianna and Miracle Dragon like this.
  10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I don't blame Portalarium. It's for the greater good of the game. Just bummed about the timing, just after my upgrade.

Zantul, Mata, Myrcello and 1 other person like this.
  11. Aribeth

Aribeth Avatar

I decided upgraded today :p. Anyway i dont see it as a discount, more like a bonus, because i only had the chance to go to the next pledge tier with full payment. And then ill be rewarded with credit to spend on the market :p (tools, a house, basement, whatever...). In my case will be like 10-15 bucks.

mbomber, Arianna, Jatvardur and 3 others like this.
  12. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Aribeth!

Arianna likes this.
  13. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

If I read the update correctly in order to get the discount you buy the Store Credit Gift Coupons in the Add-On Store, convert them to credit in your account page, wait a day for the 15% bonus to hit your account, and then upgrade your pledge.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Would be the best way to do it otherwise I imagine you would end up paying the normal price for your upgrade and an additional 15% in store credit.

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Just bought store credit, will wait for the 15% then I shall upgrade to Baron at some point tomorrow :D

Bow Vale, Kvow, Arianna and 4 others like this.
  16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It is not a discount. It's a bonus.
    They are not discounting the price of anything.
    They are piling money on top of what you pay.

They are giving you a way to turn it into a discount, so that's pretty cool.

Greyhaven and Arianna like this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the update says

"You can use your Store Credit toward any additional purchase (including pledges, pledge upgrades, add-on items, player owned towns, and stretch goal items)."

...but i thought stretch goal items could not be bought with store credit.

Athanil likes this.
  18. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

It does say that, but you still can't buy any stretch goal items with credits. I just tried to do that. Perhaps a small oversight on their part and it will be changed later on?

19. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

Amazed they brought this back, it's just a bad idea. It penalizes people for spending $ on the game any other time of the year. At the very least we should be able to get the discount on non-limited add-ons we bought for full price. I'd much rather they have limited time sales instead like the fireworks box, cornucopia and similar items.

One of the absolutely smart things Star Citizen has done is if you pledge you know that you'll never see the rewards available for less, they will be the same price or more.

Time value of money matters.

Deliverence likes this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Really don't know why some people objecting to this.

It's like going to a January sale to complain to a shop that you paid twice as much for an item 3 weeks ago. It's a short term sale.....just take advantage if it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.