Rotating deck problem

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Heavy Smoker, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

There is an issue with the rotating deck making a spell extremely overpowered and easily abused.. The root spell can be spammed over and over on a player making it so they obviously can never move as long as the caster wants to be a ****. We need to fix this issue so it doesn't ruin PvP.. I can already see groups having 1 person to run a rooting template just to grief.

Moonshadow likes this.
  2. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

And it continues.

I've said from the get go that hard stuns, absolute roots, total powerlocks, and the like are inherently unbalanced.

I once again propose that such powers be removed, in their entirety.

3. smack

smack Avatar

Everything still needs balancing. So I completely disagree about removing stuns or roots.

Gaelis, Moonshadow and kadumel like this.
  4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Stuns and roots — stuns more so than roots — have the inherent issue of sharply reducing, or even eliminating, choice from the player that is hit with them. Which in turn makes the game play far more frustrating for the players on the receiving end of such skills than it should be, as the player is left in a situation he has nothing to do.

This is part of why fighting games often have recovery moves (plural) that will allow the player to get back from falling to the ground, or in some cases even from being stunned, in more than one way, with options for both attacking the opponent and for rolling out of harm's way, increasing tactical options instead of reducing them.

I'm not sure if something similar can be done in this game, but I am convinced that, in nearly every game, every moment in combat a player is reduced to powerlessly watching what is happening to his character is detrimental to the experience.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So I'm not really sure what the complaint is really. 1 on 1 root certainly isn't overpowered...... 3 v 1 it could be because someone can spam it. I suppose the same could be said for any spell, you attack a guy and he has a healer spamming heal on him......does that make healing overpowered?

It always saddens me when there are players accusing others of gimp/grief templates especially when they work in teams.........what you are actually seeing is really good teamwork organised properly within vent/teamspeak.

There is still a lot of balancing to be done, in terms of root, I think maybe the duration needs to be reduced along with the amount of focus that is taken up to escape........but lets keep it sensible rather than waving the "it's not fair" and "remove it" flags.

6. Net

Net Avatar

It cannot be spammed, because in large deck at higher level we do not get roots that often. Still there should be some way to counter them (preferably one using focus or health).

Anyway rotating deck for bludgeons is way worse than roots, though those attack hurts and you get killed quickly.

As for griefing in PvP, well if one group is significantly larger, they can grief. They do not need roots for that.

Also, if all spells need reagents in the future, it will be very expensive griefing.

Gaelis, Moonshadow and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Roots don't really concern me. You can still do things while rooted, only not moving. It's a bummer, but it can be fixed as Net suggested. To me, stuns are the real issue regarding impairment effect balance.

Maybe Devs have something in the sleeve to balance stuns without the need of removing or restrict them, but i don't feel stun as a must in this game. Replacing the mechanic for other effects could increase diversity and solve the problem.

Moonshadow and Net like this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I've been able to over come this tactic by using walls and buildings as cover but on open ground its a deathknell, speaking from the pure melee side of things.

9. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

It can be used to grief also... Someone that has a rotating deck of roots, you can't do anything about it except stand there until they decide to stop. If you don't think that's retarded I dunno what else to tell you.

Moonshadow likes this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would say that there are lots of areas to tweak, avenues to explore and skills to balance before anything could even be considered as being 'retarded'. I can only guess that you have had a bad experience with someone casting root on you.

KuBaTRiZeS and Duke Raas like this.
  11. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Shouldn't this thread be in Release 11 Feedback forum so the problem actually got some attention?

12. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

we just need some type of para pouch like in UO. if you not sure what that is just google it

sn0tub likes this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You can already escape root......as I say it just needs tweaking. I would say that this thread is a complete over-reaction.

Net and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just a note... people are now complaining about how underpowered mages are. Hopefully higher-level offensive spells can become very powerful, but for low-level mages this is why defensive, evasion, and trap spells (like root) are an important part of their repertoire.

Root is a very useful utility spell for a mage. There should of course be different ways of getting free from a root... but immobilizing moves have been a part of many RPGs, starting with AD&D and including Pokemon, and I think they're a good addition to the game.

Gaelis, KuBaTRiZeS, sn0tub and 2 others like this.
  15. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

So yeah, great addition.. There will never be solo pvpers, because a small group rolling with someone constant rooting = instant death no getting away.

Moonshadow likes this.
  16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

perhaps reducing the range of root is in order?

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Stuns, in any game, in any setting, are unbalanced, and unbalance-able.
    In real life there is no such thing as a hit that reliably stuns your opponent into inaction for a few seconds that does not ALSO hit hard enough to kill. Frequently, the blows that stun people DO kill them, when you get hit that hard it's a tossup between momentary or lengthy loss of consciousness, or coma, or death.

In games, ANY build that uses heavy stuns will beat the crap out of ANY build that doesn't, they are overbalanced. When we attempt to limit this by limiting access to stuns, what we create is a "simulation" in which anyone can, once or twice a minute, smack ANY opponent, and reliably expect this smack to stop them in their tracks, drop their defenses, interrupt their actions, and hold them in place while you set up a power hit.

There is NO scenario in which this is realistic or balanced.

I agree that the game is still being balanced, that's why I continue to advocate the complete removal of unbalanced powers.

18. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Slowing is a viable alternative to rooting. Rooting is a 100% effect, slowing is a percentile effect. Even if slows were cumulative, and it was possible to stack up a 99% slow, that remaining 1% would do three vital things. It allows the slow-ee to continue to move and change facing. It allows the slow-ee to use abilities that require movement. It allows a slow-ee who has invested in extreme speed to fight back against the slow, benefiting from their investment in speed: because 0% of the speed of light is 0. But 1% of 5 miles per hour is still 1.34 meters per second. If I've invested in extreme speed, it should combat a slowing effect. Likewise if I've invested in extreme focus regeneration and focus cost reduction, it should help resist the effects of a 'focus drain' debuff. If I've invested in faster ability draw/cooldown, it should help resist a power that clears or burns my action tiles.

An absolute power has already won, it's only a matter of collecting the corpse. A percentile effect simply applies a reasonable ammount of force, which may or may not win.

19. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Root isn't the issue it's the lack of diminished returns and no way to defeat the root. It's easily fixed and will be. There is an ability in heavy armor all set rdy to go

20. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

A way to defeat the root = a required skill who's cooldown will determine when the root kills me.
    Diminishing returns = you can beat me senseless with your roots group for a while, then a magic referee will step in and give me a reprieve, for what, thirty seconds? Then the DR timer will expire and roots is back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.